Author Topic: OCP to Publish Book on Archbishop Rene Villate, Metropolitan Alvares Julius  (Read 536 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
georgy

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Just out of curiosity, why are you going there?  It seems to me like those people (trad Catholics) are near the bottom of the list of groups likely to reconcile themselves to the Orthodox.  The SSPX is in alliance with a Society of St. Josaphat in the Ukraine, which is a breakaway group from the Ukrainian Greek Catholics, and which has engaged in schism due to objections to the post-Vatican II of the Byzantine Rite liturgy as used by Ukrainian Greek Catholics and the delatinization of their church buildings (removal of the stations of the cross, et cetera).

Ironic is it not how Vatican II concurrently restored the ancient liturgical rites in the Eastern Catholic Church while enabling, in theory, the ruination of the Roman Rite.  I increasingly agree with Catholic scholars who say Bugnini exceeded his authority and Pope Paul VI was reluctantly persuaded to accept these changes. 
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Vilatte and the independent Catholic movement have nothing to do with SSPX or other trad Catholics like that.

A lot of conversions to Orthodoxy have in fact come from independent Catholic groups (e.g. in the Philippines).
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
Vilatte and the independent Catholic movement have nothing to do with SSPX or other trad Catholics like that.

A lot of conversions to Orthodoxy have in fact come from independent Catholic groups (e.g. in the Philippines).

Oh snap, I can’t believe I got that confused.  I must be losing my marbles; I am very good friends with a priest who is a member of the ACCA, which is one of the churches derived distantly from Villatte.  I confused him with Archbishop Lefebvre of the SSPX in a transposition error (brain fart, if you prefer), of epic proportions.  :-[

This I expect is divine vengeance being exacted upon me for uncharitable thoughts when an older science fiction enthusiast I was conversing with, when I was a teenager, confused Orson Welles and George Orwell.     :-X
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
This I expect is divine vengeance being exacted upon me for uncharitable thoughts when an older science fiction enthusiast I was conversing with, when I was a teenager, confused Orson Welles and George Orwell.     :-X
Yesterday I mistook two important Brazilian politicians and ended up saying in class a relatively recently deceased mayor was secretly killed by Americans. Many eyebrows were raised, I sounded like a total whackjob.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
Yesterday I mistook two important Brazilian politicians and ended up saying in class a relatively recently deceased mayor was secretly killed by Americans. Many eyebrows were raised, I sounded like a total whackjob.

Ouch, that makes me feel better.  It also makes me feel kind of hardcore, being from a country that is the epicenter of the world’s conspiracy theories.

We’re Americans and we’re coming to get you!  We will crush your army with our captured flying saucers at Area 51!   :P

By the way, just to kill all the conspiracy theories you might hear about it, Area 51, or Groom Lake, is real, by the way, but I am confidant there are no aliens there, but rather, that it is used for testing advanced military aircraft like the exotic, highly modified stealth Blackhawks used for the Bin Laden mission, one of which we, alas, lost, and worse, the Chinese probably obtained one of the rotors the Seals unsuccessfully tried to destroy; the pilots wanted to try to fly it out of there, as it had basically landed on a fence, but the commanders in Washington said no, and tha5 was that. 

In Las Vegas, the Delano and Mandalay Bay hotel have a view of the terminal at McCarran Airport where a DOD owned airline, called Janet Air, which flies white 737-600s with red stripes, formerly 737-200s, to the various locations at the Nevada Test Site which are still in operation, including Groom Lake, which is part of a complex of advanced aircraft test sites including Edwards AFB, China Lake, and a manufacturing plant in the Palmdale/Lancaster area north of LA, where the B2 Spirit bombers were built, one of which we managed to crash in another of the most expensive non-lethal military plane crashes ever (the pilots bailed, but the airframe was toast).

By the way, tours of part of the Nevada Test Site used for testing nukes in the 1950s are offered, not Area 51 alas.   There is also a nearly abandoned town in the cast complex called Mercury, built in the 1950s, which had housing, shopping, entertainment, dining, and served a large number of people who used to work there, but these days its just a few buildings with a few dozen scientists and no permanent residents.

Speaking of aircraft, I love your Brazillian Embraer E170-195 jets.   Those have really improved regional airline service around the world and I find them comfortable and visually elegant.

~

Back to the thread at hand, I am actually looking forward to Gorgy’s book on this issue.  It is my understanding that for reasons of personal contempt, the Episcopalian bishop who succeeded the bishop who ordained Villatte a priest with a focus on Belgic immigrants in Michigan did vindictively interfere with legitimate attempts by Villate to join the Old Catholic Communion of Utrecht, but at the same time, after he became a bishop in the Syriac Orthodox Church he was very legitimately deposed for violating a specific order from the bishops who ordained him forbidding him from ordaining any additional bishops on his own, after just 3 years, and from there entered into a tragic downward spiral of Vagantism and even simony, before repenting and retiring to a monastery in France, where he died.

Of the churches tracing lineage to him, I do like the ACCA, but the others seem to either be heretical and/or devoid of real congregations.  The ACCA is tiny, but it has a flock, and for a while had a cathedral with a soup kitchen that provided a good service to the impoverished persons of central Knoxville.

So I am looking forward to Gorgy’s book on this.  I love his passionate appeal for Orthodox unity.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Villate, by the way, passed through Orthodoxy, perhaps briefly heading the brief oldest Orthodox parish in Wisconsin.
https://orthodoxhistory.org/2010/12/06/joseph-vilatte-and-the-wisconsin-old-catholics-1891-92/
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
Villate, by the way, passed through Orthodoxy, perhaps briefly heading the brief oldest Orthodox parish in Wisconsin.
https://orthodoxhistory.org/2010/12/06/joseph-vilatte-and-the-wisconsin-old-catholics-1891-92/

And then he “passed through” it again by joining the Syriac Orthodox Church, which made him a bishop, and then throwing a pie in our collective face by proceeding to consecrate another bishop on his own contrary to explicit instructions from the synod.  At that point I doubt he cared in that his attempts to explain Orthodox theology to his people were a disaster and alienated much of his flock.   Vilatte was not entirely tactful, although one still feels that the vindictive personal attacks upon him by the successor of the Episcopalian bishop who ordained him a priest amounted to harassment and persecution, which were tactics that low church Anglicans appear to have been not entirely uncomfortable with when confronted with Anglo-Catholicism or anything resembling it, a technique later adopted by the Broad Church party against traditionalists.   And thus the intolerable sacrileges now contained within the Cathedral of St. John the Divine* in New York City.

*Some caution should be used with this title, because while it means “St. John the Theologian” if read literally, as the word Divine applied to a person in Anglicanese indicates they are considered Theologians or scholars of Theology, I have seen this title in practice used by the heterodox as a means of attempting to falsely differentiate the Beloved Disciple from the Apostle and the author of the Apocalypse.

In any event, Villatte wound up creating severe problems and is probably the main reason why the Syriac Orthodox Church in the US seldom receives converts, the Coptic church instead becoming the main vehicle for conversion to Oriental Orthodoxy.