Author Topic: Millions of Muslims become Catholics every year in Africa.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
In Africa, according to many inside Muslim sources, milions of Muslims have left Islam for Christianity every year. Below, a Muslim leader laments that Catholic evangelism, unlike Islamism, is holistic and develops the whole person through schools and universities, hospitals and the physical works of mercy; and not just by building churches only.

This news verifies even in this century what British historian Thomas Macaulay reluctantly observed about the Catholic Church in another age; just like the Church through Pope St. Gregory the Great and St. Augustine of Canterbury had first evangelized Britain for Christ; just like the Catholic Church through Pope St. Leo the Great fearlessly stood up to Attila the Hun, the Church was still doing so in Macaulay's time and is still doing so today: "The Catholic Church is still sending forth to the farthest ends of the world missionaries as zealous as those who landed in Kent with Augustin, and still confronting hostile kings with the same spirit with which she confronted Attila ... She saw the commencement of all the governments and of all the ecclesiastical establishments that now exist in the world; and we feel no assurance that she is not destined to see the end of them all. She was great and respected before the Saxon had set foot on Britain, before the Frank had passed the Rhine, when Grecian eloquence still flourished at Antioch, when idols were still worshipped in the temple of Mecca."

Main article: http://www.virtueonline.org/six-million-african-muslims-convert-christianity-each-year

Six Million African Muslims Convert to Christianity Each Year
Synopsis from The American Thinker

by James M. Arlandson

OrthodoxyToday.org
Commentary on social and moral issues of the day

This translation of a televised conversation on the Al-Jazeerah Website reveals a rare glimpse into the outlook of Muslim scholars who are concerned about Christianity's growth. The invited guest is Sheikh Ahmad Al Katani; the president of The Companions Lighthouse for the Science of Islamic Law in Libya, which is an institution specializing in graduating imams and Islamic preachers.

Katani starts off describing the overall problem:

Islam used to represent, as you previously mentioned, Africa's main religion and there were 30 African languages that used to be written in Arabic script. The number of Muslims in Africa has diminished to 316 million, half of whom are Arabs in North Africa. So in the section of Africa that we are talking about, the non Arab section, the number of Muslims does not exceed 150 million people. When we realize that the entire population of Africa is one billion people, we see that the number of Muslims has diminished greatly from what it was in the beginning of the last century. On the other hand, the number of Catholics has increased from one million in 1902 to 329 million 882 thousand (329,882,000). Let us round off that number to 330 million in the year 2000.

As to how that happened, well there are now 1.5 million churches whose congregations account for 46 million people. In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Ever year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity. These numbers are very large indeed.

From what I have heard from reliable sources, six million may be too low. Reliable accounts say that one hundred thousand Africans convert to Christianity per day, though not all of them come from Islam. Then Katani says Muslims should build schools before mosques, in order to build the worshipper (Muslim) before the building. Why? To stop the the dangerous "Christian missionary octopus"

This happens often! The wealthy Arab builds a mosque for himself or one of his parents of his friend, but my dear sir, building a mosque comes as a second stage. In America, the price of building an Islamic school is 5 million dollars. In Africa, 50 thousand dollars are enough to build a very reasonably sized school. I say this and I take full responsibility for it; building a school comes before building a mosque. Build the worshiper before you build the mosque. Take for example yourself; you go to the mosque five times a day and if you added all that time it would equal an hour or maybe two hours if you include the Friday prayer. However, if I ask you how long you stayed at school, you will reply that you spent years in middle school and years in high school. Likewise the African goes to the mosque, but if we built him a school where he could spend most of his time, and provided specialized educators we could at least stop this dangerous Christian missionary octopus.
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
Re: Millions of Muslims become Catholics every year in Africa.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
Well, then you should stop going to the SSPX, because clearly, the Roman Catholic Church is thriving and you have no reason to ignore the infallible Pope.
I'm done.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
Glory to God.  May they all grow in their new faith.  :)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:46:05 PM »
Xavier is a SSPX guy ?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
"Islamism" isn't right there, it means fundamentalist political Islamic ideology. If you're coming from a Portuguese or French-language background, islamismo/islamisme is synonym with Islã(o)/Islam, but not in other major languages.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: One, Holy, Ethnic and Disorganized
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
I'd be dubious of the source but if this is true it's IMO a good thing. I believe in reality Muslims become mostly Pentecostalists and other sort of Protestants.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Xavier is a SSPX guy ?

Kind of...he goes to both FSSP and SSPX Masses, but he argues the position that the Pope recognizes all the Sacraments of the SSPX and therefore the SSPX is canonical and permissible to attend as any ordinary Mass.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:32:43 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
Kind of...he goes to both FSSP and SSPX Masses, but he argues the position that the Pope recognizes all the Sacraments of the SSPX and therefore the SSPX is canonical and permissible to attend as any ordinary Mass.
If so, the Pope recognizes all the sacraments of the Orthodox Churches and it is permissible for him to fulfill his Sunday obligation at a Divine Liturgy. ::)
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
Anyone else find the term "Sunday obligation" incredibly gross and clinical?
I do stuff.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
As a recent convert from Catholicism, I find the term sad.  As a father, I'd resort, regrettably sometimes too easily, to disciplining my children only after they persisted in disobeying.  The term obligation related to worshiping and thanking God sounds like the Catholic Church has either given up teaching her children or refused to treat most of the faithful as sentient adults, perhaps both.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Biding my time as a Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Till Spirit moves me to be a Catechumen
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »

It’s certainly what’s led to the “I go to Mass on Sundays, so I’m good” attitude. Similarly, it’s sister term “Holy Days of Obligation” has caused many a Catholic to view the feasts as burdensome interruptions of their weekly schedule. This is also why many feasts, especially Ascension, tend to get moved to the following Sunday, so that the faithful have an easier time fulfilling their obligation.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 12:53:28 AM »
In Africa, according to many inside Muslim sources, milions of Muslims have left Islam for Christianity every year. Below, a Muslim leader laments that Catholic evangelism, unlike Islamism, is holistic and develops the whole person through schools and universities, hospitals and the physical works of mercy; and not just by building churches only.

This news verifies even in this century what British historian Thomas Macaulay reluctantly observed about the Catholic Church in another age; just like the Church through Pope St. Gregory the Great and St. Augustine of Canterbury had first evangelized Britain for Christ; just like the Catholic Church through Pope St. Leo the Great fearlessly stood up to Attila the Hun, the Church was still doing so in Macaulay's time and is still doing so today: "The Catholic Church is still sending forth to the farthest ends of the world missionaries as zealous as those who landed in Kent with Augustin, and still confronting hostile kings with the same spirit with which she confronted Attila ... She saw the commencement of all the governments and of all the ecclesiastical establishments that now exist in the world; and we feel no assurance that she is not destined to see the end of them all. She was great and respected before the Saxon had set foot on Britain, before the Frank had passed the Rhine, when Grecian eloquence still flourished at Antioch, when idols were still worshipped in the temple of Mecca."
All true. But what does that to do with the Vatican?

Main article: http://www.virtueonline.org/six-million-african-muslims-convert-christianity-each-year
Six Million African Muslims Convert to Christianity Each Year
Synopsis from The American Thinker

by James M. Arlandson

OrthodoxyToday.org
Commentary on social and moral issues of the day

This translation of a televised conversation on the Al-Jazeerah Website reveals a rare glimpse into the outlook of Muslim scholars who are concerned about Christianity's growth. The invited guest is Sheikh Ahmad Al Katani; the president of The Companions Lighthouse for the Science of Islamic Law in Libya, which is an institution specializing in graduating imams and Islamic preachers.

Katani starts off describing the overall problem:

Islam used to represent, as you previously mentioned, Africa's main religion and there were 30 African languages that used to be written in Arabic script. The number of Muslims in Africa has diminished to 316 million, half of whom are Arabs in North Africa. So in the section of Africa that we are talking about, the non Arab section, the number of Muslims does not exceed 150 million people. When we realize that the entire population of Africa is one billion people, we see that the number of Muslims has diminished greatly from what it was in the beginning of the last century. On the other hand, the number of Catholics has increased from one million in 1902 to 329 million 882 thousand (329,882,000). Let us round off that number to 330 million in the year 2000.

As to how that happened, well there are now 1.5 million churches whose congregations account for 46 million people. In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Ever year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity. These numbers are very large indeed.

From what I have heard from reliable sources, six million may be too low. Reliable accounts say that one hundred thousand Africans convert to Christianity per day, though not all of them come from Islam. Then Katani says Muslims should build schools before mosques, in order to build the worshipper (Muslim) before the building. Why? To stop the the dangerous "Christian missionary octopus"

This happens often! The wealthy Arab builds a mosque for himself or one of his parents of his friend, but my dear sir, building a mosque comes as a second stage. In America, the price of building an Islamic school is 5 million dollars. In Africa, 50 thousand dollars are enough to build a very reasonably sized school. I say this and I take full responsibility for it; building a school comes before building a mosque. Build the worshiper before you build the mosque. Take for example yourself; you go to the mosque five times a day and if you added all that time it would equal an hour or maybe two hours if you include the Friday prayer. However, if I ask you how long you stayed at school, you will reply that you spent years in middle school and years in high school. Likewise the African goes to the mosque, but if we built him a school where he could spend most of his time, and provided specialized educators we could at least stop this dangerous Christian missionary octopus.
ORTHODOXYtoday.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
If so, the Pope recognizes all the sacraments of the Orthodox Churches and it is permissible for him to fulfill his Sunday obligation at a Divine Liturgy. ::)
The priest wouldn't let him.

Also if the pope "recognizing" is something that counts, it should be noted that he also recognizes muslims to worship the same god, and the Christ-denying synagogue to be his elder brothers.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
While more conversions happen from Islam to Christianity than a lot of people think pretty much everywhere, "the Africans are leaving Islam for Christianity" has long been a trope used by Muslim televangelists for fundraising and riling people up, so the statistics given by such sources are usually just made up...

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »

Also if the pope "recognizing" is something that counts, it should be noted that he also recognizes muslims to worship the same god, and the Christ-denying synagogue to be his elder brothers.

Those were declared in Vatican II, rather than a Pope simply stating it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:52:51 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
It’s certainly what’s led to the “I go to Mass on Sundays, so I’m good” attitude. Similarly, it’s sister term “Holy Days of Obligation” has caused many a Catholic to view the feasts as burdensome interruptions of their weekly schedule. This is also why many feasts, especially Ascension, tend to get moved to the following Sunday, so that the faithful have an easier time fulfilling their obligation.
My previous Catholic priest used to give people asking him how long the Mass would take, lest they miss the beginning of a televised sports event, dispensation from their Sunday obligation.  He said that otherwise he'd see them squirming in the pews all the time as children berating their parents if they're there yet.  He had no patience for those willing to worship a ball instead of God.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
While more conversions happen from Islam to Christianity than a lot of people think pretty much everywhere, "the Africans are leaving Islam for Christianity" has long been a trope used by Muslim televangelists for fundraising and riling people up, so the statistics given by such sources are usually just made up...

And by Evangelical televangelists, for that matter. The "Jesus appears to them in a dream" story is pretty common in the US.

Does it matter? He still kind of rubber stamped it.
I do stuff.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »

And by Evangelical televangelists, for that matter. The "Jesus appears to them in a dream" story is pretty common in the US.

Does it matter? He still kind of rubber stamped it.

Well, many traditionalist Catholics hold a minimalistic view when it comes to Papal Infallibility, believing him only to be infallible when declaring dogma, and capable of error everywhere else.

Vatican II is interpreted today by Roman Catholics as an Ecumenical Council, whose entire texts are infallible. The SSPX has a hard time interpreting how Vatican II fits into the whole thing, which makes it more difficult to justify it. It ranges from "it's compatible when viewed through a traditional lens" to "it was a Pastoral Council, and lacks the intent of an Ecumenical Council" to sedevacantism.

Sorry for the ambiguity.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:23:23 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
S'alright.
I do stuff.

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: moving.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

Yes, a bit, more in language than in it's intent that we practice a sabbath.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:29:47 AM by Anastasia1 »
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:06 AM »
Yeah, I agree that the intent is fine. It's just kind of a disturbing way to talk about it.
I do stuff.

Offline Golgotha

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:07 AM »
Pentecostals seem to be growing fast in Latin America. I'm a bit surprised how big the Charismatic Catholic Renewal movement is there. But I guess if you can't beat them join them. I think the Orthodox would just add more incense to their censers  ;)

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/07/26/how-the-charismatic-movement-conquered-brazil/

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »
Pentecostals seem to be growing fast in Latin America. I'm a bit surprised how big the Charismatic Catholic Renewal movement is there. But I guess if you can't beat them join them. I think the Orthodox would just add more incense to their censers  ;)

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/07/26/how-the-charismatic-movement-conquered-brazil/

Curious article, especially for its lack of depth.  PP FI is the quintessential Latin American bishop, under whose leadership the Catholic share of the population has been decimated at an accelerated rate.

Alas, the article fails to mention an burgeoning reversal of trend in Brazil, as many former Catholics are growing disappointed at the shallowness of the prosperity gospel or, more precisely, at the prosperity of the gospel preacher, as many denominations have been rocked by financial scandals and imprisonment of dozens of leaders for misappropriation of church funds, and are returning to the Catholic Church.  Unfortunately, too little and too late, as Catholicism in Brazil is set to lose its majority status by the end of the next decade.

However, there seems to be a nascent curiosity about Orthodoxy, with the Antiochians sporting the largest number of faithful.  One huge obstacle is that, even after a generation, most Orthodox Churches are still focused on shepherding their respective ethnic group, neglecting missionary efforts.  It would be an interesting counter point to the religious carnival in Brazil.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
I'd say Antiochians got the first Brazilian converts naturally, as many natives saw their churches as simply "one of the local churches", were attracted by the beauty and depth of Orthodoxy and joined in. Nowadays mission is championed by the churches of Poland and Serbia, but coordinated efforts and internet makes all jurisdictions grow, even if the hierarchy itself is more ethnically-minded. Last year the Russian Orthodox Church got a bishop with a good missionary orientation too (even if the turmoil involving Deacon Marcelo makes it sound otherwise), but they're just starting, so the fruits will appear with time.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Santo Chavez

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 06:20:43 PM »
You can't make this stuff up.

So I walked into another thread created by Xavier, where he usually advertises the supposed superiority of his chosen religion, to only end up walking away laughing.

Xavier has as his motto "Totus Tuus, Maria" which was actually coined and used by Pope John Paul II; and, at the same time Xavier posts in his OP incredible sounding information about Muslims converting by the millions to Roman Catholicism; but, here's the kicker: John Paul II in May of 1999 actually kissed the Koran and later asked Saint John the Baptist to protect Islam.

...May Saint John Baptist protect Islam...
https://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/travels/2000/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_20000321_wadi-al-kharrar.html

Edited to fix image width only -- Agabus
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:44:33 PM by Agabus »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 08:16:59 PM »
He didn't coin it, it's paraphrase of a line from Louis de Montfort.
I do stuff.

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
First, for those unaware of or questioning the reality on the ground, this is well known and widely documented: "In 1900, the whole of Africa had just a couple of million Catholics, but that number grew to 130 million by the end of the century, and today it approaches 200 million. If current trends continue, as they show every sign of doing, then by the 2040s there will be some 460 million African Catholics. Incredibly, that number would be greater than the total world population of Catholics as it stood in 1950 … When we consider those African statistics alone, any suggestion of the Catholic Church “dying” or even stagnating is so wildly inaccurate as to be comical." http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/september-9th-2016/catholicisms-incredible-growth-story/ Africa, continent of St. Augustine and of several other Saints in the first Christian millennium, is well on its way to becoming again a Christian continent by the end of this century. That is Catholic evangelism. Boko Haram and other Islamist groups are trying to prevent it, but in vain, for the Catholic Church is that Kingdom of which the Prophet Daniel says, "But in the days of those kingdoms the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, and his kingdom shall not be delivered up to another people, and it shall break in pieces, and shall consume all these kingdoms, and itself shall stand for ever." (Dan 2:44) The Church is the Kingdom of God on earth, the Keys of which that same God of heaven gave to St. Peter.

Secondly, for those who still want to deny the evidence of what Islamism was and what it still is, here are some pure facts of what happened to the Catholic Church in Africa in the first Christian millennium: "At the beginning of the fifth century, two hundred years before Muhammad appeared, there were seven-hundred Catholic bishops in Africa.[14] Two hundred of them attended the Council of Carthage in 535 AD. By the middle of the 900s there were forty left. By 1050, as a result of 'peaceful coexistence,' there were only five left. In 1076 there were two. We learn this from a letter that Pope Gregory VII, 'Hildebrand,' wrote to Cyriacus, Archbishop of Carthage in June 1076. As three bishops are needed for the valid consecration of another bishop Gregory asked him to send a suitable priest to Rome who could be consecrated assistant bishop, so that he [Cyriacus] and Servandus, bishop of Buzea in Mauritania, and the new bishop could consecrate other bishops for the African Catholics.[15]" https://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Stenhouse/crusades.01.htm Was Islamism peacefully co-existing with Christianity in the almost 500 years before the First Crusade? No, it wasn't.

As for the Popes, even Pope St. Gregory VII took a pacific approach toward the Muslims at first: there's a well known letter he wrote to a Muslim king reiterating his desire for peaceful relations, if only they were willing, it was cited in Vatican II. It's well known Pope Benedict XVI was more severe on some aspects of Islam, and both liberals and Islamists roasted him for it. Traditional Catholics oppose appeasement of Islam, but it's understandable if the holy Shepherds of the Church want to try that approach first. We are convinced it won't work in the end. The right way is to evangelize, and remove the last remnants of Islamism and paganism from Africa so that it can become a Christian continent by 2100. Think how wonderful it would be if the re-union of the Churches and all Christendom was also accomplished by then.

Btw, Ialmisry, here's part of the rest of Macaulay's statement, it is evident he is speaking of the Roman Catholic Church. "There is not, and there never was on this earth, a work of human policy so well deserving of examination as the Roman Catholic Church. The history of that Church joins together the two great ages of human civilisation. No other institution is left standing which carries the mind back to the times when the smoke of sacrifice rose from the Pantheon, and when camelopards and tigers bounded in the Flavian amphitheatre. The proudest royal houses are but of yesterday, when compared with the line of the Supreme Pontiffs. That line we trace back in an unbroken series, from the Pope who crowned Napoleon in the nineteenth century to the Pope who crowned Pepin in the eighth; and far beyond the time of Pepin the august dynasty extends, till it is lost in the twilight of fable. The republic of Venice came next in antiquity. But the republic of Venice was modern when compared with the Papacy; and the republic of Venice is gone, and the Papacy remains … The number of her children is greater than in any former age. Her acquisitions in the New World have more than compensated for what she has lost in the Old. Her spiritual ascendency extends over the vast countries which lie between the plains of the Missouri and Cape Horn, countries which a century hence, may not improbably contain a population as large as that which now inhabits Europe. The members of her communion are certainly not fewer than a hundred and fifty millions; and it will be difficult to show that all other Christian sects united amount to a hundred and twenty millions. Nor do we see any sign which indicates that the term of her long dominion is approaching … she may still exist in undiminished vigour when some traveller from New Zealand shall, in the midst of a vast solitude, take his stand on a broken arch of London Bridge to sketch the ruins of St. Paul's." http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/macaulay/ranke1.html
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • saint basil fool for Christ pray to God for me
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
in Uganda we are having success and converting many to the orthodox faith!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Chicago
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
Glory to God.  May they all grow in their new faith.  :)

Agreed, may God bless them.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 11:22:03 PM »
yes, and kenya too!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 04:14:05 AM »
yes, and kenya too!
That is indeed something to praise God for!
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »
yes, and kenya too!
That is indeed something to praise God for!
so praise be to God! Kristo amefufuka! (Christ is risen)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:36:23 AM by RaphaCam »