Author Topic: Severe grief attacks  (Read 565 times)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Severe grief attacks
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »
Nearly 3 years on I am continuing to experience severe grief attacks for my father including dreams where he is still alive, flashbacks and panic attacks.  This mourning is procing to be debilitating; I had extremely severe grief when my grandfather died when I was 16, but it did not last as long (perhaps because I was able to moderate that grief through his brother Wendell, who died the same year as my father, although I only found out about it last year).  By the time I was 17 I had largely recovered.

There were extenuating circumstances in the form of evil behavior from my half sisters that made the grief process worse.

Also, I had a severe flu in Jan-Feb and am still not fully recovered, I am exhausted with minimal energy.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
Re: Severe grief attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »
Lord have mercy.

St. Luke and St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:30:45 AM »
Lord, have mercy! You should look for mental health professionals.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:31:56 AM »
I wonder if you are stuck in the grieving cycle? Lord have mercy!

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:57:01 AM »
Exhaustion makes everything worse. I also urge you to be talking to people who can help you.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 02:11:36 AM »
Lord have mercy :(
I do stuff.

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 04:27:44 AM »
Lord have mercy
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline marigold

• Archon
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Lord, have mercy on Alpha60.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Musicnerd88

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdioces
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
Lord have mercy.
Most Holy Theotokos save us!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Try to busy yourself with some activity, charitable deeds, etc.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
Nearly 3 years on I am continuing to experience severe grief attacks for my father including dreams where he is still alive, flashbacks and panic attacks.  This mourning is procing to be debilitating; I had extremely severe grief when my grandfather died when I was 16, but it did not last as long (perhaps because I was able to moderate that grief through his brother Wendell, who died the same year as my father, although I only found out about it last year).  By the time I was 17 I had largely recovered.

There were extenuating circumstances in the form of evil behavior from my half sisters that made the grief process worse.

Also, I had a severe flu in Jan-Feb and am still not fully recovered, I am exhausted with minimal energy.

Lord have mercy!

I hope you’re seeing a therapist for your grief Alpha.  It’s okay to grieve, but if it is slowing your life down, it’s okay to seek professional help.

Prayers of the Theotokos!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 12:16:34 AM »
whats slowing my life down is the after effects of that stomach flu, which left me with irritable bowell syndrome which my doctor is treating, and also Marfan’s disease, which is the degenerative disease of the connective tidsue, just to clarify.  However I periodically am having nightmares and flashbacks concerning my father.  It is interfering in that if I engage in some forms of work requiring quiet concentration, like drawing or provisioning a new OS or doing some types of configuration-heavy programming, that is when it hits.  Writing or programming usually does not set it off.

My GP is top tier but I havent discussed this problem with him, which I probably should, although Im pretty certain its not depression.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
You have Christ and medicine with you, do look into whatever you have. Praying for you.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:23:36 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 03:29:34 AM »
You seem to be dealing with prolonged unresolved grief. I'm just wondering if it's possible for you to get in touch with a grief counselor or a trained professional where you're living who can help you find closure. Having lost both my parents, I don't think we ever forget that we've lost them. But it is possible to come to accept that and be grateful for the good they have done us. I think that's what your father would want for you.

Family members often turn on each other when a loved-one dies. With prayer it is possible to forgive those who we feel have wronged them or us even if it is not possible (or always desirable) to forget. As I'm sure we have both discovered, carrying resentment around too long is not healthy as it disturbs our own peace of mind and body.

I'm not in the habit of joining these 'Lord have mercy' threads, but you are in my prayers.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
Continue to seek and receive the unique medicines of the Church:  Confession, Unction, and most especially the "fountain of Immorality".

Prayers for your recovery.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 05:45:27 AM »
Continue to seek and receive the unique medicines of the Church:  Confession, Unction, and most especially the "fountain of Immorality".

Prayers for your recovery.

Confession and the Eucharist on Sunday were very helpful.  The priest imparted a sense of loving empathy which has lifted me up a bit.  Also, I am attempting a new antinflammatory medication on the arthritis and am contemplating asking for a surgical procedure to assist with it; I feel your prayers helped me and will continue to do so.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Chicago
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Do you own a pet? A dog or cat is a lovely thing, and their love is limitless
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:51:55 AM by Rubricnigel »