Author Topic: Communion - EO-OO  (Read 1162 times)

Offline paradoxy

• Married Hermit
  • "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."
Communion - EO-OO
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
Hi everyone, long time since I posted.

Some time ago, I (EO, Serbian Orthodox) went to the Netherlands and needed to find the nearest Orthodox Church. Google told me it was a Coptic Orthodox Church near my host's place of residence.

Just to be sure, I asked if we were in communion and told them exactly what denomination I came from. They said it was fine and I could take Communion - so I did.

It was beautiful, all of it. I loved the people amd the place.

Later, I found out they were OO, not, EO. I'm not asking about my personal culpability - more about why we're apart and if this could be remedied.
And when He knew for certain
Only drowning men could see Him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"

Leonard Cohen

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Communion - EO-OO
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
To put it in the broadest terms, there was strong disagreement in the church around the Council of Chalcedon held in 451. Some held it to be an orthodox council refuting a dangerous heresy, while others held it to be heretical itself and a compromise with Nestorianism.

The struggle between these parties persisted for many years until the two points of view coalesced into two distinct communions which nowadays we call EO and OO.

There have been various attempts at reconciliation. Some believe the differences are based on terminological differences, beneath which both communions share the same faith. Others think there are real theological differences.

The complicated theological and historical issues have been discussed and re-discussed in many places on this forum and if you search you will find all kinds of material, some helpful, some less so.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:04:36 PM »
Greetings ~ It seems a matter of cousins ~ not in total agreement ~ myself I see all Orthodox as my brothers and sisters ```

We Armenian ~ could not attend the council because we were busy ~ fighting a war with the Persians ~ so The Armenian Church does not recognize that council ```

People inside each and every part of Orthodoxy think and feel ~ well ~ not exactly alike ~ but ```

You are my sister ~ and another my brother ~ that hasn't changed ~ one day~ God Wills ~ we will more openly confess this ```

seth

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
To put it in the broadest terms, there was strong disagreement in the church around the Council of Chalcedon held in 451. Some held it to be an orthodox council refuting a dangerous heresy, while others held it to be heretical itself and a compromise with Nestorianism.

The struggle between these parties persisted for many years until the two points of view coalesced into two distinct communions which nowadays we call EO and OO.

There have been various attempts at reconciliation. Some believe the differences are based on terminological differences, beneath which both communions share the same faith. Others think there are real theological differences.

The complicated theological and historical issues have been discussed and re-discussed in many places on this forum and if you search you will find all kinds of material, some helpful, some less so.
Clear and concise... For a second I was confused and wasn't sure what forum I was on.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:00:29 AM »
The topic is complec and opinions vary. I know Polish Orthodox priests (EO) that allow Polish Orthodox Christians to commune in OO parishes (however, it actaully applies outside Poland, as there are no OO parishes, only some groups that gather from time to time if an Armenian or Coptic priest comes there) and they alllow OOs to commune at Polish Orthodox parishes.

Personally, if my priest gave me the blessing, and the OO priest would allow, and I'd be prepared for the Communion, I'd approach to the chalice in an OO church.
I'm strongly for EO-OO dialouge and intercommunion. That's a real ecumenism and something that can be fruitful, not like dialoge with RC or Protestants.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:16:14 AM »
I thought Copts are generally against intercommunion (with the exception of married EO-OO couples in Egypt). Am I mistaken?

Personally I wouldn't take OO communion as IMO were not there yet. I would attend services though which I generally don't when it comes to Protestants and Catholics.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
Some Copts may be more hesitant. I am not. I would commune any EO. I would say that those Copts more against intercommunion of laity - which our Fathers supported - are also those who are less educated about the real issues and the real history.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Ive taken communion in both EO and OO churches and from my perspective, the main issue in deciding which one to go to is convenience; technically I was received by both churches. 
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
Armenians ~ members of Our Family ( from the city of Dicranakertz {Turks call Diyarbyer} ~ fought in the Army of King Sobieski against the Turk ~ thousands were in the armies at the many battles ~ over hundreds of years ~ even to the defense of Vienna ```

https://books.google.com/books?id=-ZQiAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA41&lpg=RA1-PA41&dq=Armenians+fought+with+King+Sobiski+of+Poland+against+the+Turk&source=bl&ots=u3D4DFbgSG&sig=OmBmhgz_u7M5Xo7HG79_CPVqQtc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQyarplaHbAhVL9YMKHcOhCwAQ6AEIXDAI#v=onepage&q=Armenians%20fought%20with%20King%20Sobiski%20of%20Poland%20against%20the%20Turk&f=false

Polish are my close cousins ~ I love them ~ their history is much as ours ``` We are in this life together and have always tried to do our part ~ for ~ our brothers and Our God ~ Park Austuzo (Glory to God )

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:55:56 AM by Sethrak »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
About your personal case, this is the "talk to your priest" kind of question. I wouldn't commune at an OO parish because our hierarchy hasn't settled peace, so I wouldn't have the first step as laity. Just like I wouldn't commune at an Old Calendarist or Macedonian Orthodox parish.

We Armenian ~ could not attend the council because we were busy ~ fighting a war with the Persians ~ so The Armenian Church does not recognize that council ```
IIRC, however, the Armenian Church later explicitly subscribed to the anti-Chalcedonian position in a series of councils in Tver, along with Georgians, who later accepted Chalcedon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:37:40 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »
About your personal case, this is the "talk to your priest" kind of question. I wouldn't commune at an OO parish because our hierarchy hasn't settled peace, so I wouldn't have the first step as laity. Just like I wouldn't commune at an Old Calendarist or Macedonian Orthodox parish.

IIRC, however, the Armenian Church later explicitly subscribed to the anti-Chalcedonian position in a series of councils in Tver, along with Georgians, who later accepted Chalcedon.
Why do you have to even identify them as Macedonian? I hope this is over soon. Ask the monks at mount athos who is a Macedonian. This is clearly a thrift of identity.  I just can't believe that it can happen on a big scale like this. I can see it on the credit card level but an entire country.  Unprecedented

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »
Why do you have to even identify them as Macedonian? I hope this is over soon. Ask the monks at mount athos who is a Macedonian. This is clearly a thrift of identity.  I just can't believe that it can happen on a big scale like this. I can see it on the credit card level but an entire country. 
The official name of the church is Macedonian Orthodox Church - Archbishopry of Ohrid and the official name of the country is Republic of Macedonia, whether you agree with their claim to "Macedonicity" or not. No need to overstate the names, it's just a way to identify them without confusion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:03:47 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
Why do you have to even identify them as Macedonian? I hope this is over soon. Ask the monks at mount athos who is a Macedonian. This is clearly a thrift of identity.  I just can't believe that it can happen on a big scale like this. I can see it on the credit card level but an entire country. 
The official name of the church is Macedonian Orthodox Church - Archbishopry of Ohrid and the official name of the country is Republic of Macedonia, whether you agree with their claim to "Macedonicity" or not. No need to overstate the names, it's just a way to identify them without confusion.
The problem is if we keep calling them that. One day it might stick.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »
Castor Troy as Sean Archer scene (Face Off) HD: https://youtu.be/t98KbrX_vqg

Naked links are not allowed according to the rules, so I have added its title. Please remember about the forum rules.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:11:31 AM by Dominika »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
The Macedonian name dispute is the stupidest controversy in international politics and should not be on this thread unless you want to prove EO’s are morons.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:31:46 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »

Note that formal agreements exist between the Syriac and Antiochians and the Copts and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria allowing intercommunion.   So if you were Antiochian or lived in Africa, you could consider episcopal blessing in place.  Also my understanding is that St. Catharine’s communicates Coptic pilgrims, which would suggest the autonomous Archbishop of Sinai has at least informally assented to the reunion.   This might have something to do with the large amount of OO material in their monastic library and the need for solidarity (the library of St. Catharine’s is an Aladdin’s Cave of knowledge rivalled only by those of the Athonite and Ethiopian monasteries).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 01:27:43 AM »
The Macedonian name dispute is the stupidest controversy in international politics and should not be on this thread unless you want to prove EO’s are morons.
LOL, I love your gentleness.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 02:16:41 AM »

Note that formal agreements exist between the Syriac and Antiochians and the Copts and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria allowing intercommunion.   So if you were Antiochian or lived in Africa, you could consider episcopal blessing in place.  Also my understanding is that St. Catharine’s communicates Coptic pilgrims, which would suggest the autonomous Archbishop of Sinai has at least informally assented to the reunion.   This might have something to do with the large amount of OO material in their monastic library and the need for solidarity (the library of St. Catharine’s is an Aladdin’s Cave of knowledge rivalled only by those of the Athonite and Ethiopian monasteries).

Speaking of.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »

Speaking of.

Indeed I am familiar with that work, and it is vital given the danger St. Catharine’s is in.  Unfortunately the libraries at the Syriac Orthodox monastery of Mor Mattai in Iraq and the formal Patriarchal seat in Tur Abdin, and the libraries of numerous Coptic monasteries, specifically St. Anthony’s, the Syrian monastery, and the White Monastery, are not being scanned AFAIK, and much more work is needed on Mount Athos due to the risk of fire or other disasters.  The library at Esphigmenou strikes me as being particularly at-risk.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 05:30:52 AM »

Indeed I am familiar with that work, and it is vital given the danger St. Catharine’s is in.  Unfortunately the libraries at the Syriac Orthodox monastery of Mor Mattai in Iraq and the formal Patriarchal seat in Tur Abdin, and the libraries of numerous Coptic monasteries, specifically St. Anthony’s, the Syrian monastery, and the White Monastery, are not being scanned AFAIK, and much more work is needed on Mount Athos due to the risk of fire or other disasters.  The library at Esphigmenou strikes me as being particularly at-risk.

Are you familiar with HMML? They've scanned most of the Christian collections in Tur Abdin and Iraq, as well as Syria and Lebanon. http://hmml.org/

This might have something to do with the large amount of OO material in their monastic library

Actually, there's surprisingly little... There's one Coptic liturgical manuscript and a couple in Ethiopic. Otherwise, there are some texts of originally OO provenance that find themselves in Arabic and Syriac Melkite manuscripts produced in Syria, but few actual manuscripts that originate in OO milieux.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:31:24 AM by Samn! »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »

Me too!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »

Me too!

Strong enough for a Mor but made for a woman.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »

Me too!

Mor was made for a woman.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »

Me too!

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »

Me too!

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...

You are not far from the kingdom.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 12:55:21 AM »
It already has.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 12:58:09 AM »
Ask the monks at mount athos who is a Macedonian.
Why? Are they Macedonian?
This is clearly a thrift of identity.  I just can't believe that it can happen on a big scale like this. I can see it on the credit card level but an entire country.  Unprecedented
Hardly. The Latins remained upset about the Greek speaking Romans of Constantinople and her empire.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
Oh Ralph Sage, Excre de Gotham ~ has your faith and Christianity increased in value due to this council ~ is you connection and understanding of the Lord greater than anyone else on this thread ``` Do you personally Understand and agree with the whole of the Dogma ```

se estou enganado e não foi você quem postou o que me refiro para me desculpar por favor `` `
if I am mistaken and it was not you who posted what I refer to excuse me please ```
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:23:12 AM by Sethrak »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 01:36:40 AM »
Oh Ralph Sage, Excre de Gotham ~ has your faith and Christianity increased in value due to this council ~ is you connection and understanding of the Lord greater than anyone else on this thread ``` Do you personally Understand and agree with the whole of the Dogma ```

se estou enganado e não foi você quem postou o que me refiro para me desculpar por favor `` `
if I am mistaken and it was not you who posted what I refer to excuse me please ```
I did post this, but I have no ~idea ~ what you're asking or telling me. ```
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:37:05 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 02:18:22 AM »

I did post this, but I have no ~idea ~ what you're asking or telling me. ```

My guess would be he's trying to say that you're being unfair to the Armenians in saying that they rejected Chalcedon.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
If he thinks that's unfair, the councils of Dvin (not Tver as I previously said) would be even unfairer, lol.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
Yeah, it’s really untenable to claim the Armenians never accepted Chalcedon this whole time because they were too busy.
- Berdyaev

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
RalphCam ~ I ask your pardon and forgiveness ~ I'm dealing with a situation in real life ~ and ~ Projected the sist off ness on you ~ you didn't deserve that for repeating what I said earlier ``` Iff you will forgive ~ that will be cool ```

I emphthize with what you have to put up with where you are ~ and truly hope for better ```

truly

seth

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »
It's fine, man.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »

Obrigado irmão ```

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
It already has.
I guess you haven't been reading the news lately. https://greekcitytimes.com/2018/05/31/fyrom-church-requests-to-rejoin-ecumenical-patriarchate-after-dropping-macedonia/amp/