Author Topic: Liturgical Mistake Bogging Me Down  (Read 550 times)

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
  • Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν ἡμᾶς
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
Liturgical Mistake Bogging Me Down
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
I made a mistake in the altar today and I can't seem to rid myself of the shame and embarrassment due to my inattentiveness. As I was taking the zeon pitcher of hot water over to the deacon so that Father could pour it into the chalice, I accidentally ran into one of the legs of the small table I was using to pour the hot water into the pitcher. This caused all the liturgical items on the table to come crashing down onto the floor, this included a goblet of consecrated wine and oil. My priest and I properly cleaned the area after the Liturgy, but I still felt terrible for what I did and I cannot seem to get it out of my head.

I have prayed and have spent the afternoon in reflection but I am still feeling off, as if I have committed an atrocity. I plan on speaking to my priest about this sometime during the week, but before then, I just had to express my feelings here. Anything that anyone would like to add is most welcomed.
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
Re: Liturgical Mistake Bogging Me Down
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:35:04 PM »
I don’t think an accident, unless maybe as a result of depraved indifference, should be considered an atrocity. I can’t hate you for it and Christ is better than I am. Be at peace.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
In this case, disapointment is righteous, but not despair. Despair is always the work of the enemy.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:40:52 AM »
Oh wow. Sorry that happened today!!! I can empathise. I would be beating myself up so bad over that. But being on the outside i can say ultmately God just loves you so much. Its ok. You'll do better next time.  Big hugs man. It was a mistake. You tried your best.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
These things happen sometimes. I've been around for some pretty hair-raising mishaps (ever seen two consecrated chalices drop to the floor in a matter of 15 seconds? Yikes, at least the floor was marble), and it's annoying for all involved, but nothing to lose sleep about. This is why there are procedures to clean it up, which it seems you did correctly. You shouldn't beat yourself up for what was an innocent and human mistake. We all bump into things. It's fine.

Offline ComingofAge

• The Eternal Student
  • Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν ἡμᾶς
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
Thank you for the encouraging responses everyone.

I have been fighting against feelings of despair over the past 24 hours and have been praying fervently and now I am finally starting to feel better. I know that mistakes happen and that it's going to be okay in the long run. I am going to make sure that I am extremely attentive to detail from here on out, as much as I can help it, by the grace of God. I will use this as a lesson to pay even more attention to detail in the future.

This path brings many challenges and struggles all the time, both big and small, I guess we have to learn how to face them and overcome. The enemy wants to bring us down, but he can't... the glory of the Holy Trinity will prevail.
Let us open our mouths and sing hymns of salvation. Come and fall down in the house of the Lord and say: Pardon our sins, you who hung upon the cross and rose from the dead, and yet are forever in the bosom of the Father.

+ Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
You serve the lord, you help others find salvation.
If anything you get a pat on the back for doing the good work.

I would also be upset with myself for being clumsy, but it could always be worse.

God bless