Author Topic: Was St. Nicholas II a poor Ruler?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
Was St. Nicholas II a poor Ruler?
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
Multiple modern historians have called both St. Nicholas and empress Alexandra stupid and unfit to rule. What do you think of this matter?
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Was St. Nicholas II a poor Ruler?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
I wouldn't call them stupid, but I do think they were just as woefully out of touch as most 19th Century aristocrats. "Let them eat cake and bootstraps" summed up the standard attitude towards the poor that lead to Communism in the first place.

Combine that with a certain amount of naivete (ie. getting taken in by Rasputin, Nicholas's "give peace a chance" speech at the 1912 New York diplomatic summit) and regrettable but understandable paranoia--Nicholas's grandfather was assassinated by the sister of Lenin, his cousin was murdered by an anarchist at the start of the war, his father and much of the Church filled his head with Antisemitic conspiracy garbage since he could walk--and it's not hard to see how WWI ended in revolution for them but not for the Germans or the English.

So, not necessarily unfit by the low standards of the time, but not very good objectively.

In before Simkins brings up cats.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:34:54 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
I wouldn't call them stupid, but I do think they were just as woefully out of touch as most 19th Century aristocrats. "Let them eat cake and bootstraps" summed up the standard attitude towards the poor that lead to Communism in the first place.

Combine that with a certain amount of naivete (ie. getting taken in by Rasputin, Nicholas's "give peace a chance" speech at the 1912 New York diplomatic summit) and regrettable but understandable paranoia--Nicholas's grandfather was assassinated by the sister of Lenin, his cousin was murdered by an anarchist at the start of the war, his father and much of the Church filled his head with Antisemitic conspiracy garbage since he could walk--and it's not hard to see how WWI ended in revolution for them but not for the Germans or the English.

So, not necessarily unfit by the low standards of the time, but not very good objectively.

In before Simkins brings up cats.
I don't think St. Nicholas was the "let them eat cake" type. If you look in his personal diary, he felt great sympathy for the massacre of Bloody Sunday. As for antisemitism, I don't deny that the secular government and parts of the church were spreading lies about the Jews, but I think it can be a bit exaggerated.
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »
If you look in his personal diary, he felt great sympathy for the massacre of Bloody Sunday.
A massacre he had nothing to do with, let it be said.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
I don't doubt that he was a caring man who had all the sympathy in the world for the victims of Bloody Sunday, but he still gave at least tacit support to similarly repressive state actions, did he not? And this includes those based on Antisemitic lies (even exaggerated as they may have been).
I do stuff.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
Maybe get schooled and versed in non-Christian academics
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
Maybe get schooled and versed in non-Christian academics

Jackson already seems to be.
I do stuff.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: One, Holy, Ethnic and Disorganized
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
Should this have any religious significance? Saints are humans too. They might not sin but they might make all things silly, moronic etc.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »
Should this have any religious significance? Saints are humans too. They might not sin but they might make all things silly, moronic etc.

Wouldn't that be considered sinning too, at least by omission or failing to be perfect as your Father in Heaven?

Regardless, I don't see a lot of support for the idea that Saints have to become sinless in this life (Sisoes the Great, St. James the Ascetic, most of the Emperor Saints, the Uncomdemning Monk, etc).
I do stuff.