OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:47:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessing of Icons  (Read 1584 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: October 16, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »

Is it a tradition on the GOA to leave Icons in the altar for 40 ndays when they are blessed?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 01:17:34 AM »

Is it a tradition on the GOA to leave Icons in the altar for 40 ndays when they are blessed?

I think it may be an ORTHODOX Tradition. 
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:25:23 AM »

I thought it was an Orthodox tradition too, but an Antiochian priest told me you can leave it in the church for 2 days if you want to.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 02:24:54 AM »

That is the custom that some follow at my GOA parish (40 days).  Since we have a very small altar area it makes it a little interesting to navigate back there sometimes...

But I have seen others say that icons need not be blessed since they were painted/printed for the sole purpose of religious use (like it would be redundant to bless them). 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 06:19:49 AM »

I've heard of the Greeks doing it, but haven't heard from any Slavs if they do it too...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
eleni

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:01:08 AM »

Yes, Icons should be taken to church for 40 days to be blessed.....I know this from my mother.
Icons sometimes are prints-copies of the originals......therefore, they need to be blessed.
Icons that are hand painted coming from monastics are often blessed in church.

The same goes for Crosses that Orthodox Christians wear........they should be blessed.

In Christ
Glory be to God
helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:07:48 AM »

Fwiw, my wife and I have had icons blessed at a half dozen parishes (we move a lot, in more ways than one Grin ), including parishes from 3 different jurisdictions (OCA, Antiochian, ROCOR), and we've never had the priest leave the icon on the altar longer than about a week. I am not saying this to contradict the above people, of course. I'm not claiming this to be the right (or even best) way to go about thigns, just saying that it's what we have experienced here in Western PA.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 01:29:11 PM »

I've heard of the Greeks doing it, but haven't heard from any Slavs if they do it too...

I know we've done it at every Serbian Orthodox Parish I've belonged to (so far that is 4).

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 05:51:21 PM »

I was told that some Russian customs have the icon blessed right there, on the spot.

My GOA parish put it on the altar for 40 days.
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 06:06:50 PM »

When my icons were blessed, they were sprinkled with holy water while my priest said prayers over them and then the icons were left on the altar from the end of Saturday Vespers until after the liturgy on Sunday morning.

For the record, this was at an OCA church.

I was not aware that there was such a variance in how icons were blessed until this thread - most interesting.

In Christ,
Aaron
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 06:37:52 PM »

Actually, looking in our Greek Euhologion, there is a prayer for the blessing of icons; which explains why the chaplain here at school doesn't leave them in the sanctuary for 40 days - since there is a prayer and blessing with Holy Water that is prescribed in the book.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 07:36:26 PM »

I'd never heard of leaving an icon in the sanctuary for 40 days, either.  At my OCA parish, the custom has (to the best of my knowledge) been prayers and sprinkling with holy water, after leaving it on the altar through one Liturgy.  Basically, bring it in before Liturgy, drop it off, and pick up an incensed and sprinkled icon afterwards.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Tags: icons icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: