Author Topic: Marital Status of Religious Groups in USA  (Read 2233 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Marital Status of Religious Groups in USA
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
From a Pew Research Study, American adults over 30 more likely to be married than younger ones.  Here's a breakdown by religious affiliation:

Of particular interest to me was that not even a majority of Orthodox adults in this country are married and that 31% have never been married.  I wonder why that is.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Marital Status of Religious Groups in USA
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:18:25 PM »
Great! That means I can ask out 52% of boys in the Church!
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 04:44:28 AM »
Of particular interest to me was that not even a majority of Orthodox adults in this country are married and that 31% have never been married.  I wonder why that is.
Maybe they spend to much time on online forums? ;)
Proverbs 22:7

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »

The 'married' percentage is the same as the general US adults, the Orthodox just have slightly lower rates of cohabitation and divorce, which pushes up the 'never married' number. I don't see anything of particular interest in the case.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »
I wonder if less people in general are getting married in the US, too, due to economic hardship and the expectation of having an expensive wedding.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »
I wonder if less people in general are getting married in the US, too, due to economic hardship and the expectation of having an expensive wedding.

Among the not-strictly-religious lot, a common arrangement involves cohabitation until they decide to add to the family, so I guess struggling with poorly paying jobs while being neck-deep in debt already pushes thoughts of family further and further into the future. What the wedding will cost is the least of their problems.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »

Among the not-strictly-religious lot, a common arrangement involves cohabitation until they decide to add to the family, so I guess struggling with poorly paying jobs while being neck-deep in debt already pushes thoughts of family further and further into the future. What the wedding will cost is the least of their problems.

Makes sense. The levels of cohabitation among religious groups would then likely be a little lower than the average (even if only due to people not self-reporting it to these kinds of surveys).
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
I think age probably has something to do with it--notice that most (though not all) of those similar to Orthodox are also groups with lower avg. age (Muslims, Agnostics/Atheists), which would also explain the low % of widows.
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
Ignore the above, didn't see the thing above the graphic  :-[
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
The most interesting figure in these charts to me was the ratio of widowed people.  My thinking is that, since widowed people are usually of advanced age, the fewer of them, the younger the demographics of the religion.  If this is true, then only the Mormons, the Hindus, the Orthodox, Church of God, the Muslims and the Atheists/Agnostics/Nones have a future in this country.  Seems legit.

Lord, have mercy.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
Maybe they spend to much time on online forums? ;)

I AM married.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
Ignore the above, didn't see the thing above the graphic  :-[

Seems to me that you still make a good point.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
From a Pew Research Study, American adults over 30 more likely to be married than younger ones.  Here's a breakdown by religious affiliation:

It was just a few years ago that the census bureau announced most adults in the US for the first time were not married.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:22:54 AM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
Great! That means I can ask out 52% of boys in the Church!

Although, thinking ahead, consider that you get a more joyous wedding liturgy if you limit yourself to the 31%, or also if you had desires of becoming a Presbytera.  :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:34:03 PM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
On a more serious note, does anyone elss find themselves disgusted by the implied hedonism and disregard for morality among the Buddhists, Anogstics and especially the Atheists?  Atheists have the highest rate of cohabitation in the US.  I will throw that statistic in their face the next time one dares to flame me about Christian moral values.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
On a more serious note, does anyone elss find themselves disgusted by the implied hedonism and disregard for morality among the Buddhists, Anogstics and especially the Atheists?  Atheists have the highest rate of cohabitation in the US.  I will throw that statistic in their face the next time one dares to flame me about Christian moral values.

1. Why should someone care about marriage if they don't have a religious mandate to? It's not like casually murdering people or doing smack. Sorry, but the bougie nuclear family is not the sine qua non of all morality (even if it is a useful institution for a lot of things).

2. Cohabitation does not automatically imply a fly-by-night relationship or casual sex. Some cohabitators have been together for years and are married in all but name (does this survey even take common law marriage into account?) Heck, maybe the only reason they aren't married is some financial issue.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
Some law systems grant recognised cohabitation same or similar rights as those who are married, so common it is. Makes sense for the sake of possible children, but otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:52:42 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »
Some law systems grant recognised cohabitation same or similar rights as those who are married, so common it is. Makes sense for the sake of possible children, but otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

If the intention is to share their lives together for as long as possible, then it essentially is a marriage other than the lack of paperwork and legal entanglements. Perhaps that's an argument for libertarian "get the state out of marriage" positions.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
If the intention is to share their lives together for as long as possible, then it essentially is a marriage other than the lack of paperwork and legal entanglements. Perhaps that's an argument for libertarian "get the state out of marriage" positions.
Yeah, but the systematisation of civil union exchanges a simple process for a world of frauds and Byzantine discussions. When working for a family law public defender, I've worked with two or three cases of homosexual civil unions (which makes sense since homosexual "marriage" is a recent institution in Brazil), but otherwise I couldn't understand how people got so despondent over making their stuff official and just let it be until they broke up and it became a serious problem (since the part that will be negatively affected by the recognition of the civil union often denies the essential marks of the union).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:14:04 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
Not disgusted, no.  Saddened, yes.  Either way, I'm not throwing anything in anyone's face.   :)
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »
Yeah, but the systematisation of civil union exchanges a simple process for a world of frauds and Byzantine discussions. When working for a family law public defender, I've worked with two or three cases of homosexual civil unions (which makes sense since homosexual "marriage" is a recent institution in Brazil), but otherwise I couldn't understand how people got so despondent over making their stuff official and just let it be until they broke up and it became a serious problem (since the part that will be negatively affected by the recognition of the civil union often denies the essential marks of the union).

I think part of the blame can be placed on social and family pressure to have a giant, expensive wedding. Part on how lengthy the divorce process can be and people thinking that cohabitation would make everything simpler.

You're right that the changes in law aren't really desirable, but I'm not sure that that in itself indicates some gross immorality that justifies Alpha's pearl clutching.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:44:01 PM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
It does indicate a disregard for the institution they're trying to follow up.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »
It does indicate a disregard for the institution they're trying to follow up.

Well, if you have an institution that's closely intertwined with a religion that you don't follow, I'm not sure why you should have to pretend to respect it if you honestly don't.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:57:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 06:07:23 PM »
Not disgusted, no.  Saddened, yes.  Either way, I'm not throwing anything in anyone's face.   :)

Careful, I literally have right now a slice of apple pie and an itchy trigger finger.  :P Granted,  when I last had pie, I had both a banana cream pie and a cholocate cream pie, I could have delivered more confectionary firepower.  ;)

Needless to say, the epic pie battle royale in the 1960s comedy film The Great Race, which was otherwise rather too long, is high on my list of preferred slapstick comedy.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »

In the unlikely event that any of them considers cohabitation immoral, that would be one sick burn. Except not.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
it’s a stunt that’s not gonna work with a group of people that attaches no mystical qualities to copulation.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
it’s a stunt that’s not gonna work with a group of people that attaches no mystical qualities to copulation.
I, and even the Archbishop of Athens, also are like "meh, is that really our business?"

from Father Bill's Blog
the newspaper reported that the mayor of Tilos, an Aegean island, had just married two “gay” people. The reaction of the Archbishop of Athens was: The Orthodox Church does not permit such things, but these people are not Christians, so what business is it of ours what they do?

Indeed "throwing it in their face" is probably going to backfire when it confirms their belief that all Christians are holier-than-thou hypocrites.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »

+1. I was raised in a virtually non-mystical form of evangelical Protestantism and despite the fact that marriage was heavily pushed, it never "made sense" to me until I found Orthodoxy.
主哀れめよ!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
a group of people that attaches no mystical qualities to copulation.
Atheism is one thing, but demystified copulation? I won't stand for it.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
a group of people that attaches no mystical qualities to copulation.
Atheism is one thing, but demystified copulation? I won't stand for it.

Of course you won't. You have to lie down.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
You have to lie down.
That you think this indicates the demystification has already begun.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:08 AM »

Careful, I literally have right now a slice of apple pie and an itchy trigger finger.  :P Granted,  when I last had pie, I had both a banana cream pie and a cholocate cream pie, I could have delivered more confectionary firepower.  ;)

Needless to say, the epic pie battle royale in the 1960s comedy film The Great Race, which was otherwise rather too long, is high on my list of preferred slapstick comedy.

:D  I haven't seen that movie; I'll have to check it out.  And I'm glad actual pie can't travel through the internet!  But now I'm wondering if it could, would it have missed or would it have been a delayed effect...  ???  I think I need coffee.   ;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 12:02:07 AM »

The flame isn’t for their benefit.  The idea when criticizing someone in an online debate isnt to attempt to change their views, which is usually a lost cause, but to discredit them.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »

:D  I haven't seen that movie; I'll have to check it out.  And I'm glad actual pie can't travel through the internet!  But now I'm wondering if it could, would it have missed or would it have been a delayed effect...  ???  I think I need coffee.   ;D

Evidently.  I should say you need a double shot of espresso or some full-strength Ethiopian coffee.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.