Author Topic: Illegal Artifacts Headed Home  (Read 500 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Illegal Artifacts Headed Home
« on: May 03, 2018, 12:28:04 AM »
Those ancient artifacts that were illegally smuggled to Hobby Lobby are headed home to Iraq

Several thousand ancient artifacts are being returned to Iraq after they were falsely labeled as "tile samples" and illegally smuggled to the US retailer Hobby Lobby, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, said this week.

The move comes after ICE and the Justice Department last year brought a civil action against Hobby Lobby, saying it had received thousands of falsely labeled Iraqi artifacts from a United Arab Emirates-based supplier. Hobby Lobby in July agreed to forfeit the artifacts and pay a $3 million fine to resolve the action.

In all, ICE returned 3,800 ancient artifacts, including cuneiform tablets, cylinder seals and clay bullae...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Illegal Artifacts Headed Home
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, what Hobby Lobby did was theft and should definitely be recompensed.

On the other hand, they'd be a lot safer here than right in the path of ISIS.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »
I guess the main factor for me is the fear that, once western museums get their hands on artifacts, they're probably not going back, regardless of the situation involved in the home country.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, what Hobby Lobby did was theft and should definitely be recompensed.

A real 21st Century White Man’s Burden.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »

The people trying to flee the same lands, on the other hand, can very well go back and die.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 07:02:33 PM »

The people trying to flee the same lands, on the other hand, can very well go back and die.

I'm not anti-refugee. What have I said that would make you think that?

A real 21st Century White Man’s Burden.

Fair enough. You know I can be a twit in these areas...
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »

Didn't say you were, and it is important to preserve relics of the past. But in that effort, it can be easy to forget that people are worth more than stones.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »

Didn't say you were, and it is important to preserve relics of the past. But in that effort, it can be easy to forget that people are worth more than stones.

Agreed. It is funny that both these efforts come from the same DOJ.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:14:22 PM by Volnutt »