Author Topic: Did the first century Church have "Priests?"  (Read 697 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
Did the first century Church have "Priests?"
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
So, in recent catechism courses into Orthodoxy, we discussed the Clerical ranks of the Orthodox Church  - you know, Reader, Subdeacon, Deacon, Priest, and Bishop; however, to my shock, I was told something rather incredible (considering my Catholic background), that the first century Church did not have priests; rather, the translation of "Presbyteros" or "Presbyter" or "Elder", were indistinguishable from an "overseer" or "Bishop," and that Priests came along due to the fact that the territories of Bishops got too expansive and needed Priests, which serve theologically as almost "limited Vicar Bishops", as they serve in place of the Bishop who really owns the Church they are serving at.

I was always educated from a Catholic perspective - and I may have been misled, of course (including mandatory Bishopry / Priesthood celibacy was theologically based) - that the "Elders" which are often translated in Protestant Bibles are in, reality, Priests (Douay Rheims, for example, translates "Presbyteros" as "Priest"), and much like how Deacons existed in the First Century Church, the Priests were there from the time of the Apostles onwards. Even Wikipedia identifies this as an Orthodox position.

Which view is correct - did Priests come along later, or did Priests exist from the beginning? While I believe that theologically speaking the Priest does serve in place with the Bishop, is this tale that Priests came later true?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:59:37 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Did the first century Church have "Priests?"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
Priests and bishops were interchangeable for a while for sure. How long it took for priests to take on their present role as bishops’ vicars I don’t know.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
Priests and bishops were interchangeable for a while for sure. How long it took for priests to take on their present role as bishops’ vicars I don’t know.

Where does this idea come from?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:01:21 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
What idea?
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »

Where does this idea come from?

From the fact that the Epistles and the Early Fathers seem to use the terms interchangeably.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
Priests are Elders. That's what the word "Presbyteros," ie. the normal modern Greek word for an Orthodox Priest, means (from the Ancient Greek "presbos" meaning "old man").
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »
So, in recent catechism courses into Orthodoxy, we discussed the Clerical ranks of the Orthodox Church  - you know, Reader, Subdeacon, Deacon, Priest, and Bishop; however, to my shock, I was told something rather incredible (considering my Catholic background), that the first century Church did not have priests; rather, the translation of "Presbyteros" or "Presbyter" or "Elder", were indistinguishable from an "overseer" or "Bishop," and that Priests came along due to the fact that the territories of Bishops got too expansive and needed Priests, which serve theologically as almost "limited Vicar Bishops", as they serve in place of the Bishop who really owns the Church they are serving at.

I was always educated from a Catholic perspective - and I may have been misled, of course (including mandatory Bishopry / Priesthood celibacy was theologically based) - that the "Elders" which are often translated in Protestant Bibles are in, reality, Priests (Douay Rheims, for example, translates "Presbyteros" as "Priest"), and much like how Deacons existed in the First Century Church, the Priests were there from the time of the Apostles onwards. Even Wikipedia identifies this as an Orthodox position.

Which view is correct - did Priests come along later, or did Priests exist from the beginning? While I believe that theologically speaking the Priest does serve in place with the Bishop, is this tale that Priests came later true?

Thanks.
priests existed from the beginning, serving alongside the Apostles as auxiliary and chorbishops, being elevated to the full episcopate as the Apostles passed on the Church. Only after the bishops fully replace the Apostles did the priests form an order on their own, as the bishops took the place of the Apostles and the former roles of the bishops as the protogees and deputies was taken up by the order of priests.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

Thanks.
priests existed from the beginning, serving alongside the Apostles as auxiliary and chorbishops, being elevated to the full episcopate as the Apostles passed on the Church. Only after the bishops fully replace the Apostles did the priests form an order on their own, as the bishops took the place of the Apostles and the former roles of the bishops as the protogees and deputies was taken up by the order of priests.

Seems like the best way to digest the available evidence from an Orthodox perspective, yeah.

Given the way that the believers in Acts stuck around in the Temple and in the Synagogues until they were kicked out, it would be strange that a radical "no more priesthood" position should be reduced to, at best, equivocal evidence rather clearly spelled out in the NT or Early Fathers.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »
 Read Met. JOHN Zizoulas' work called Eucharist, Bishop, Church on the historical development of how priest and bishop become distinct.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 04:13:28 AM »
Read Met. JOHN Zizoulas' work called Eucharist, Bishop, Church on the historical development of how priest and bishop become distinct.

+1
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:39 PM »
Priests are Elders. That's what the word "Presbyteros," ie. the normal modern Greek word for an Orthodox Priest, means (from the Ancient Greek "presbos" meaning "old man").
It's not only "old man", it also means "leader of the flock" etymologically ("páros boós").
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:53:12 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
I am going to have to read this book. When I was a protestant, my church used the words elders and pastors.  As Orthodox, I hear bishops and priests.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
It's not only "old man", it also means "leader of the flock" etymologically ("páros boós").

I didn't know that, thanks. My mind always seems to jump first to "presbyopia."