Author Topic: Any Oriental Orthodox fiction?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Any Oriental Orthodox fiction?
« on: April 28, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »
I've seen lots of good recommends for EO novels and short stories. How about from the OO (either with OO topics or by OO authors)?
I do stuff.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Any Oriental Orthodox fiction?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
I don't have anything along the lines of what you seem to be asking for, but here're two books for whatever they're worth. Traveller Extraordinary: The Life of James Bruce of Kinnaird is apparently by an 18th century Scot who traveled throughout the near east and then down to Ethiopia; it's travel writing rather than novel, but I get the feeling there's a heavy dose of fiction in there. The other one I mentioned earlier this year, Frankenstein in Baghdad, which fwiw was recently shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize; it's set in Iraq and one old woman is presented as Orthodox, though I don't recall whether she was CoE, OO or EO.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »
Thanks!
I do stuff.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:43:35 AM »
Not fiction, but the Kebra Nagast is a very interesting Abyssinian religious epopee.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth