Author Topic: I have a request for all the priests  (Read 504 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
I have a request for all the priests
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:32:19 AM »
They may already do so. But I need to know so I can have more confidence in the priests.
If I have a question and you don’t know the answer to it can you please bring the matter up before all the priests. And you together come up an answer and share what they say as well as your opinion ?
This has been a major stumbling block in trusting a priest for advice

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: I have a request for all the priests
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:41:10 AM »
They may already do so. But I need to know so I can have more confidence in the priests.
If I have a question and you don’t know the answer to it can you please bring the matter up before all the priests. And you together come up an answer and share what they say as well as your opinion ?
This has been a major stumbling block in trusting a priest for advice

I'm sure if a lot of priests are stumped, they'll ask a friend for his advice (and will ask their bishop and his synod if it's really important). Pretty sure there's no global colloquy or anything like that, though. How could there be?
I do stuff.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »
Thanks but I asked a question to two clergy and they seemed not to be aware of all others opinion but their own. Or one seemed a little more aware but not aware of too many others view point

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
Be careful not to engage in "priest shopping" in the way that criminal defendants and their attorney's engage in "Judge shopping"--trying to find someone who will simply confirm their own opinion.

Submitting oneself to a (note the singular) spiritual father means trusting the elder, not second guessing.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Thanks but I asked a question to two clergy and they seemed not to be aware of all others opinion but their own. Or one seemed a little more aware but not aware of too many others view point

Well, yeah. Priests are only human, some will be more diligent than others.
I do stuff.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
I forgive you.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
Be careful not to engage in "priest shopping" in the way that criminal defendants and their attorney's engage in "Judge shopping"--trying to find someone who will simply confirm their own opinion.

Submitting oneself to a (note the singular) spiritual father means trusting the elder, not second guessing.

Thankyou for your concern. I do not do so. I am concerned because I want the hard truth. But I have to know they know what they are talking because they talk to other priests and they tell me what others think. And I choose the hard way anyway.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »

Well, yeah. Priests are only human, some will be more diligent than others.

Thanks. I know. But thats why I have to seek after priests who do this
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:48:59 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »

Thankyou for your concern. I do not do so. I am concerned because I want the hard truth. But I have to know they know what they are talking because they talk to other priests and they tell me what others think. And I choose the hard way anyway.

Why do you assume that the hard way is automatically the truth? That can become a source of pride in your own "unflichingness." Remember, Jesus also said that His yoke is easy and his burden light.

Like JT said, I don't think you should be "priest shopping." I guess there's nothing wrong with asking him to do some research and consult, but after that you should trust his judgment if its some kind of question of discipline.
I do stuff.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Why do you assume that the hard way is automatically the truth? That can become a source of pride in your own "unflichingness." Remember, Jesus also said that His yoke is easy and his burden light.

Like JT said, I don't think you should be "priest shopping." I guess there's nothing wrong with asking him to do some research and consult, but after that you should trust his judgment if its some kind of question of discipline.

Haha. Jesus commanded call no one on earth your teacher. It is a command like do not kill. The bible says obey your parents IN THE LORD. Not just obey them. The bible says do not despise prophesies test all things hold fast what is good. Ofcourse some will attack me because I speak the truth.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:17:18 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
I will try to obey a spiritual elder unless it is completely against my conscience. But I guess I don't remember them saying anything against my conscience.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:27:06 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Let us suppose they would teach us to go against our conscience. Then we can conclude it seems they don't want to ask other priests they want us to trust blindly. Would asking other priests make a difference? yes because we are allowed to follow what we are convinced is of the Lord and not just follow the will of what may be 1 man's. But if we have no other option we will trust them unless the Lord has clearly shown us the truth.