Author Topic: The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause  (Read 246 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Some lady-specific tips to live long and prosper. :)

For a long time, it was assumed women had a higher risk of Alzheimer’s simply because women live longer. But Dr. Mosconi says, women outnumber men two to one in Alzheimer’s diagnoses in every age group: twice as many women as men aged 50, and twice as many women as men aged 80 suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.

The reason? Estrogen. Or the absence of it.

Estrogen, Dr. Mosconi says, has neuroprotective qualities; it also acts as a neurological stimulant. “It literally stimulates certain parts of your brain to be active and to be metabolically engaged.”

https://primewomen.com/health/wellness/risk-of-alzheimers-dr-lisa-mosconi/
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
Re: The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Don't you mean Testosterone? ...
Learn meditation.

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Don't you mean Testosterone? ...

No.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
aka

Women were once mentally stimulated and engaged.  Then they lose that.

Men don't have that advantage to begin with
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
aka

Women were once mentally stimulated and engaged.  Then they lose that.

Men don't have that advantage to begin with

LOL
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
Well, I hope this doesn't lead to a lot of women rushing to HRT and winding up with ovarian cancer (I think that's the risk with too much estrogen?). I'm glad the article doesn't just recommend that.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Well, I hope this doesn't lead to a lot of women rushing to HRT and winding up with ovarian cancer (I think that's the risk with too much estrogen?). I'm glad the article doesn't just recommend that.

The effects of HRT can vary widely, depending on the type of hormones administered, the woman's age, and her health at the beginning of treatment. There is a slight causal increase in the chances of ovarian cancer (about 1 in 1000), but most other effects are significantly positive. Still, it's not for everyone, and it will certainly continue to be tweaked for the foreseeable future.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

The effects of HRT can vary widely, depending on the type of hormones administered, the woman's age, and her health at the beginning of treatment. There is a slight causal increase in the chances of ovarian cancer (about 1 in 1000), but most other effects are significantly positive. Still, it's not for everyone, and it will certainly continue to be tweaked for the foreseeable future.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the correction.