Author Topic: The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause  (Read 601 times)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Some lady-specific tips to live long and prosper. :)

For a long time, it was assumed women had a higher risk of Alzheimer’s simply because women live longer. But Dr. Mosconi says, women outnumber men two to one in Alzheimer’s diagnoses in every age group: twice as many women as men aged 50, and twice as many women as men aged 80 suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.

The reason? Estrogen. Or the absence of it.

Estrogen, Dr. Mosconi says, has neuroprotective qualities; it also acts as a neurological stimulant. “It literally stimulates certain parts of your brain to be active and to be metabolically engaged.”

https://primewomen.com/health/wellness/risk-of-alzheimers-dr-lisa-mosconi/
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: The Link Between Alzheimer’s, Estrogen, and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Don't you mean Testosterone? ...
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Online Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Don't you mean Testosterone? ...

No.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
aka

Women were once mentally stimulated and engaged.  Then they lose that.

Men don't have that advantage to begin with
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
aka

Women were once mentally stimulated and engaged.  Then they lose that.

Men don't have that advantage to begin with

LOL
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
Well, I hope this doesn't lead to a lot of women rushing to HRT and winding up with ovarian cancer (I think that's the risk with too much estrogen?). I'm glad the article doesn't just recommend that.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Arachne

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Well, I hope this doesn't lead to a lot of women rushing to HRT and winding up with ovarian cancer (I think that's the risk with too much estrogen?). I'm glad the article doesn't just recommend that.

The effects of HRT can vary widely, depending on the type of hormones administered, the woman's age, and her health at the beginning of treatment. There is a slight causal increase in the chances of ovarian cancer (about 1 in 1000), but most other effects are significantly positive. Still, it's not for everyone, and it will certainly continue to be tweaked for the foreseeable future.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

The effects of HRT can vary widely, depending on the type of hormones administered, the woman's age, and her health at the beginning of treatment. There is a slight causal increase in the chances of ovarian cancer (about 1 in 1000), but most other effects are significantly positive. Still, it's not for everyone, and it will certainly continue to be tweaked for the foreseeable future.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the correction.