Author Topic: Earliest known biography of an African woman translated to English  (Read 386 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Not news, but still of interest.

The earliest known book-length biography of an African woman, a 17th-century text detailing the life of the Ethiopian saint Walatta Petros, has been translated into English for the first time.

Walatta Petros was an Ethiopian religious leader who lived from 1592 to 1642. A noblewoman, she left her husband to lead the struggle against the Jesuits’ mission to convert Ethiopian Christians to Roman Catholicism. It was for this that the Ethiopian Orthodox Täwaḥədo Church elevated her to sainthood.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/03/earliest-known-biography-of-an-african-woman-translated-to-english-for-the-first-time
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Biding my time as a Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Till Spirit moves me to be a Catechumen
Re: Earliest known biography of an African woman translated to English
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »
Sad they felt the need to go down the old “they must be lesbians” route, but interesting nonetheless. Anyone know where one can read the translation?
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Sad they felt the need to go down the old “they must be lesbians” route, but interesting nonetheless. Anyone know where one can read the translation?

The article includes a link, directly to the publisher. If it no longer works, try Amazon or an interlibrary loan.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
Yes.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary