Author Topic: Question regarding if a priest ministers a liturgy from a different jurisdiction  (Read 527 times)

Offline Poemen

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Melbourne
So I was wondering, is there anything (canonically or otherwise) that would prevent a Coptic priest from ministering the beautiful Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, as ministered by the Eastern Orthodox, or the beautiful Divine Liturgy of St. James, as ministered by the schismatic British Orthodox?
One God. One Faith. One Baptism.

Offline aiernovi

I can only speak for the Coptic Church. The Synod under the leadership of Pope Shenouda III regulated priests to only celebrating the three most common liturgies in the Coptic Tradition: The liturgy of St. Basil, St. Gregory, and St. Cyril

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Obedience and humility prevents us from doing what seems interesting to us, rather than characteristic of the true Tradition.

Lots of things are interesting, but I am a priest of this Rite. I might well object to things that are done, even widely, that are not really Traditional, but I also don't want to introduce things from elsewhere, while respecting them in their own context, unless they are either part of the authentic Tradition, or the Synod makes them so.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
You're looking at this cross-communions, I personally wonder if something would prevent a Coptic priest to celebrate the Ge'ez, Armenian or Syriac rite if a parish using it needed him. I also wonder if biritualism is a normal thing in the Oriental Orthodox Church (I'm aware the Coptic synod has at least one Ethiopian bishop, so there's at least one person who can celebrate two OO rites in the world  :P ).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
We often celebrate pan-OO liturgies in which case the visiting OO clergy will pray according to the host rite. I have prayed in other churches myself as a visitor and used, for instance, the Syrian Indian rite, but not on my own, rather with the parish priest or bishop and clergy.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Poemen

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Melbourne
Interesting to read the responses, thanks everyone!
One God. One Faith. One Baptism.