Author Topic: Why do they call it Saint Sophia?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Gordon Ramsay

• Tis Theos Megas
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Why do they call it Saint Sophia?
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:49:58 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I've seen multiple churches call themselves Saint Sophia, and they're referring to Agia Sophia or Holy Wisdom. Why do they call it Saint Sophia?

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Why do they call it Saint Sophia?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:20:19 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I've seen multiple churches call themselves Saint Sophia, and they're referring to Agia Sophia or Holy Wisdom. Why do they call it Saint Sophia?

Because St Sophia and Holy Wisdom are essentially the same term in Greek, and in the early times, people whose first language was often not Greek conflated the two. Linguistic smushing happens all the time.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
It used to bother me, too, but in a sense it’s also not incorrect. “Saint” is used to mean “holy” as well, such as in the name “Saint Saviour.”
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
In the Wisdom Literature, "sophia" is personified; therefore, I can see how St. Sophia would be used.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:28:42 PM »

Sts. Sophia and her daughters, Faith, Hope & Charity
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Gordon Ramsay

• Tis Theos Megas
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:27 AM »

Sts. Sophia and her daughters, Faith, Hope & Charity
Right, but when most churches are named that, they are referring to the Holy Wisdom.

I mean I suppose I could see how some get it confused.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
They could be referring to both, because the wisdom of God is foolishness to carnal men, and the martyrdom of St. Sophia and her daughters represents a sublime expression of this.  The name St. Sophia was blessed with could well have occurred at her baptism, and in the event was certainly Providential, and the names her holy and pious daughters received continue with this, as an example of an Inspired and inspirational piety. 

Several of the early Saints were baptised with names which, while not new, expressed nonetheless particular doctrinal signifigance in Christianity, for example, Sts. Athanasius, Theodore, Christophorus, Theophilus, Pius, and in recent centuries, Abd al Massih, in the Coptic and presumanly other Arabic speaking Churches (the Coptic church uses Coptic as a liturgical language, interwoven with Greek theological phrases such as Kyrie Eleison, and alongside Arabic and other vernacular languages, so that in the US, a typical Coptic liturgy will consist variously of Bohairic Coptic, Arabic and English, printed side by side in the Euchologion).

Consider also the pious custom of naming children Jesus among Christians of the Iberian peninsula and the former colonies thereof, in Latin America and other continents.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:45:25 PM »
It used to bother me, too, but in a sense it’s also not incorrect. “Saint” is used to mean “holy” as well, such as in the name “Saint Saviour.”
Romance languages don't even make a difference, generally.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 05:59:42 AM »

Why wouldn't they?

The words mean the same thing, and it's fairly common in English to do that.  For instance, some translations of the Litany of the Saints address the saints as "Saint Michael, Saint David, Saint John" and so forth, while other translations refer to "Holy Michael, Holy David, Holy John", &c.  Everyone knows they're the same people and nobody gets confused.  There are churches dedicated to "St Cross", "St Saviour", and so forth, which are simply another way of saying "Holy Cross" and "Holy Saviour".  So there is long precedent.  I don't see why "St Sophia" would be singled out as being problematic.

What exactly is it that bothers you about it so much?

What annoys me is poor translations such as "Holy Saint John, pray to God for us".  It just sounds ridiculous, as it's the same as saying "Saint Saint John, pray to God for us", or "Holy Holy John, pray to God for us".
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
Quote:
Posted by: Subdeacon Michael
« on: Today at 05:59:42 AM » Insert Quote
Why wouldn't they?

The words mean the same thing, and it's fairly common in English to do that.  For instance, some translations of the Litany of the Saints address the saints as "Saint Michael, Saint David, Saint John" and so forth, while other translations refer to "Holy Michael, Holy David, Holy John", &c.  Everyone knows they're the same people and nobody gets confused.  There are churches dedicated to "St Cross", "St Saviour", and so forth, which are simply another way of saying "Holy Cross" and "Holy Saviour".  So there is long precedent.  I don't see why "St Sophia" would be singled out as being problematic.

What exactly is it that bothers you about it so much?

What annoys me is poor translations such as "Holy Saint John, pray to God for us".  It just sounds ridiculous, as it's the same as saying "Saint Saint John, pray to God for us", or "Holy Holy John, pray to God for us".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you ~ I was coming to say that ~ I couldn't have said it that well ```

seth

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Thank you ~ I was coming to say that ~ I couldn't have said it that well ```

That's incredibly kind of you to say.  :)
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis