Author Topic: Christian friend needs support  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
Christian friend needs support
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »
Hey Guys!

A Christian friend of mine was asked by her landlord if she would be okay with a female friend of his staying with her for a while, as his friend was having trouble finding an apartment of her own. My friend told me she knew something wasn't too good when she saw a pentacle around the girl's neck. She said she was okay with the girl staying with her if she didn't bring any pagan things with her. The landlord chastised her for this and said she was being rude. I told her it was loving the sinner, but not the sin by not allowing those things in her home. Were there any spiritually moral mistakes made on the part of my friend towards this other girl, even if she needed help? Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:47:59 PM by Myrrh23 »
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
Re: Christian friend needs support
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »
There's a great opportunity there to explain the Christian meanings of the pentacle. My granddaughter wears a pentacle ring (because the Christian meanings have touched her) and she's Orthodox.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:40:35 AM by Riddikulus »
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline sohma_hatori

• Earthbending Novice
  • High Elder
  • The Blind Bandit
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:19 AM »
Um, whats a pentacle? hehe ..  :)
""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender

Offline calligraphqueen

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »
I believe this is the 5 pointed star with the two points at the top balanced on the one/single at the bottom.
It has been associated with wicca, goddess worship and most things pagans since the earliest druidic practices.

since most people that wear it are NOT associating it with any sort of Christian meaning, and are more than likely into all things pagan, I would not suggest having the tenant in your home. Granted she can't do anything to your friend that anyone else couldn't physically do. HOwever, I have a line of actual witches in my family and they can cause all sorts of spiritual havoc like you would NOT believe.  Tis better not to even go there, not out of fear just wisdom.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
Um, whats a pentacle? hehe ..  :)

A pentacle is a five pointed star (also known as the Star of Bethlehem); one point to the top and two points to the bottom. The inverted pentacle is associated with Satanism. The pentacle is found on St Constantine the Great's seal and it represents the five Holy Wounds of Christ; the five joys of the Virgin (the Annunciation, the Nativity, the Resurrection, the Ascension, and the Assumption).

It is probably only due to misinterpretation that it has became associated with Satanism and subsequently rejected by many Christians during the twentieth century.

Time to take our symbols back, I say!! ;D

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
I believe this is the 5 pointed star with the two points at the top balanced on the one/single at the bottom.
It has been associated with wicca, goddess worship and most things pagans since the earliest druidic practices.

Its connection with Wiccan is very recent as Wicca is a reconstructionlist religion in the first place; starting sometime in the 1950s. As an aside, Wiccans also use Christian Celtic symbols from the Gospel Book of Kells - ie the Triquetra which symbolises the Holy Trinity in Christianity. While I respect a person's right to belief whatever they wish, the meanings that Wiccans have ascribed to the pentagram and other Christian symbols are wishful thinking on their part and have no historical backing.

The first English mention of the pentagram is in the 14th Century poem of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; where its meaning is Christian and represents the five virtures of Knighthood that Sir Gawain hopes to embody.

More information is found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram#Christianity

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:24:20 PM by Riddikulus »

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:34:22 PM »
A pentacle is a five pointed star (also known as the Star of Bethlehem); one point to the top and two points to the bottom. The inverted pentacle is associated with Satanism.
The really odd thing about a pentacle is that regardless of its orientation, it's associated with Satanism or Wicca. The cross, on the other hand, is only associated with Satanism when it's inverted, and is universally accepted as Christian when it's the proper side up. Interestingly, though, that St. Peter was crucified on an inverted cross, and as such I believe even the inverted cross is a Christian symbol. Thus I second your motion:

Time to take our symbols back, I say!! ;D
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »
On another note, why would the landlord ask to put up his friend with someone else?  I'm all for hospitality but it sounds to me like her landlord was putting off his problem on someone else.  Personally, I think your friend had every right to refuse anyone to stay with her, pentacle or not.  It may be the landlord's property, but he should still respect your friend's privacy.

(Edited for clarity.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:35:56 PM by EofK »
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
On another note, why would the landlord ask to put up his friend with someone else?  I'm all for hospitality but it sounds to me like her landlord was putting off his problem on someone else.  Personally, I think your friend had every right to refuse anyone to stay with her, pentacle or not.  It may be the landlord's property, but he should still respect your friend's privacy.

(Edited for clarity.)

Yes, this is very true. It is definitely Myrrh's friend's right to accept or refuse.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »
The really odd thing about a pentacle is that regardless of its orientation, it's associated with Satanism or Wicca. The cross, on the other hand, is only associated with Satanism when it's inverted, and is universally accepted as Christian when it's the proper side up. Interestingly, though, that St. Peter was crucified on an inverted cross, and as such I believe even the inverted cross is a Christian symbol. Thus I second your motion:

I have always been of the opinion that as Christians we shouldn't be running scared. If Christ sets us free from fear we should act like it. But that's just my take on it all and I understand if others feel differently. :)

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
He may be asking simply because he would prefer her to stay with another woman than with himself, especially if he's single.

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion: The pentacle doesn't automatically mean this person is "bad news," and hospitality is to be encouraged.  If you're not comfortable with having a stranger stay with you, that's one thing, but don't say no just because of religious beliefs--unless they're going to be sacrificing cats in your bedroom.   ;)
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »
I guess I'm the dissenting opinion: The pentacle doesn't automatically mean this person is "bad news," and hospitality is to be encouraged.  If you're not comfortable with having a stranger stay with you, that's one thing, but don't say no just because of religious beliefs--unless they're going to be sacrificing cats in your bedroom.

I disagree. Personally, if someone wishes to believe in ancient deities, that's fine. But the pentacle is often associated with the practice of witchcraft--not okay! I myself have messed around with the Ouija Board and witchcraft, and gotten my spiritual licks for doing it. I suggested that if this girl has somewhere else she can set up her altar or whatever, then she should set it up in that elsewhere spot. But as a Christian, I don't believe it would be fair to God to give a spot of honor in my friend's home to foreign deities and the possible practice of witchcraft, which is dangerous and not something to play around with.
I agree that the wearing of the pentacle doesn't automatically spell doom and gloom. But modern-day pagans often engage in spellwork. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:04:30 PM by Myrrh23 »

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
But as a Christian, I don't believe it would be fair to God to give a spot of honor in my friend's home to foreign deities and the possible practice of witchcraft, which is dangerous and not something to play around with.
I agree, but it is one thing to give a place of honour to foreign deities and another thing entirely to give a place of honour to a visitor who worships them. Hospitality is a very godly thing.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Most "Wiccans" are a complete joke. And in all honesty, if she were a "real" Wiccan she would be part of some sort of "coven" and wouldn't need anyone to stay with. They have to have their buddies to dance around naked with afterall. ;D Seriously, those Wiccans are pretty harmless.

The pentacle would have nothing to do with my decision to let her stay or not. If she desired to stay she needed to be respectful of the persons living there. And if you request that she does not perform any Wicca in the house she ought to be fine with it. It is your home not hers.

But all she would likely want to do is light some "smudge sticks." Most Wicca is to be practiced outdoors.

But really, Wicca is a joke of a religion. I investigated it for several years myself.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:57:21 PM by Quinault »

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »
They have to have their buddies to dance around naked with afterall. ;D

You mean, perform their ceremonies skyclad?  :P

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »
But really, Wicca is a joke of a religion.

That's "blasphemy", Quin! Don't you know that Wicca is either "thousands of years old" or based on something "thousands of years old"?! ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:36:46 PM by Myrrh23 »

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »
I will wear that label with pride.  :angel: ;D