Author Topic: Recent growth in ROCOR Western Rite  (Read 1724 times)

Offline ROCORWRVUK

Recent growth in ROCOR Western Rite
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
From the ROCOR Western Rite Facebook page:

Please join me in welcoming our newest clergy:

Fr Seraphim Byrd was elevated to Priest (St Thomas- Mtn Home, AR)

Hieromonk Serafim (Furemalm) (Holy Protection-Stockholm, Sweden)**

Priest John Longero (St Andrew Orthodox Church, Reno NV) *

Hieromonk Lazarus (Wilhelmsson) (SS Halvard and Nikolaus, Gothenburg, Sweden) **

Fr Deacon Michael Petrus Catenacci (Holy Protection- Stockholm)**

Fr Deacon Andreas Eraybar (SS Halvard and Nikolaus- Gothenurg)**

* - New parish

**- New Parish and part of newly-formed Scandinavian Deanery

The three new parishes are

St Andrew Orthodox Church - Reno, Nevada

Holy Protection of the Mother of God Orthodox Church - Stockholm, Sweden

SS Halvard and Nikolaus Orthodox Church- Gothenburg, Sweden

The Scandinavian parishes were formerly art of the Kiev Patriarchate's Western Rite mission in Sweden.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Recent growth in ROCOR Western Rite
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
Good to know Sweden is experiencing the Western Rite as well as other countries. If you guys would take a walk in Brazil to institute some churches, we have nice beaches, great food, Catholics with a thirst for the Tridentine rite and a ROCOR bishop with an awesome beard and biritualism.

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline ROCORWRVUK

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
Much, much more information here:

http://frnovak.blogspot.com/2018/04/western-rite-report-six-ordinations.html

More clergy and congregations in Scandinavia will be received later, with these four ordinations being just the beginning. A Scandinavian Deanery has been erected by Metropolitan Hilarion with Fr. Serafim as Dean. The Scandinavia Deanery includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark. This is historic. The events of last week have restored Western Rite Orthodoxy in Scandinavia after many centuries.[snip...]

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
Sweden? Well now. Have to attend a liturgy next time I visit Stockholm.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
I agree with and like ROCOR
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »

More clergy and congregations in Scandinavia will be received later, with these four ordinations being just the beginning. A Scandinavian Deanery has been erected by Metropolitan Hilarion with Fr. Serafim as Dean. The Scandinavia Deanery includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark. This is historic. The events of last week have restored Western Rite Orthodoxy in Scandinavia after many centuries.[snip...]
Nice! Does that imply one (or more) of these parishes was Nordic Catholic Church and then Kiev Patriarchate before it joined ROCOR?
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
From the ROCOR Western Rite Facebook page:

Please join me in welcoming our newest clergy:

Fr Seraphim Byrd was elevated to Priest (St Thomas- Mtn Home, AR)

Hieromonk Serafim (Furemalm) (Holy Protection-Stockholm, Sweden)**

Priest John Longero (St Andrew Orthodox Church, Reno NV) *

Hieromonk Lazarus (Wilhelmsson) (SS Halvard and Nikolaus, Gothenburg, Sweden) **

Fr Deacon Michael Petrus Catenacci (Holy Protection- Stockholm)**

Fr Deacon Andreas Eraybar (SS Halvard and Nikolaus- Gothenurg)**

* - New parish

**- New Parish and part of newly-formed Scandinavian Deanery

The three new parishes are

St Andrew Orthodox Church - Reno, Nevada

Holy Protection of the Mother of God Orthodox Church - Stockholm, Sweden

SS Halvard and Nikolaus Orthodox Church- Gothenburg, Sweden

The Scandinavian parishes were formerly art of the Kiev Patriarchate's Western Rite mission in Sweden.

Yay!
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »

Nice! Does that imply one (or more) of these parishes was Nordic Catholic Church and then Kiev Patriarchate before it joined ROCOR?

writes:

VÅR DEKAN (PROST)
Hieromunk Serafim
Dekan för dekanatet
av Gamla Rus-Skandinavien

I understand "Gamla Rus-Skandinavien" as Old Russia-Scandinavia..so Fr. Serafim is dean for much more countries than stated above, including Belarus, Ucrainia, Russia?

And what is even more surprising that the "Dekanradet" is in personal union a Domkapitel (= Cathedral Chapter):

http://www.nordiskortodox.org/kontakt/domkapitlet-dekanr%C3%A5det-36848063

NOAK:s DOMKAPITEL

Ordförande, praeses - Hieromunk F. Serafim
Kansler, kanslichef - Diakon F. Petrus Michael Catenacci
Vice kansler - economus - Benedikt Joakim Widell
Vice kansler - sekreterare - Hieromunk F. Lazarus
Lekmannaledamot - Kantor Göran Grahn

Domkapitlets postadress:
Domkapitlet, NOAK
c/o Catenacci, Folkungagatan 132 B
116 30 Stockholm

A Cathedral Chapter (not in the US, but in Europe) has the right to elect a bishop. It constitutes a diocese (No diocese without a cathedral chapter; no cathedral chapter without a diocese). This implies ROCOR has a new diocese (sede vacante). Don't know, if the Synod has realized the change of the hierarchal structure of their Church already, and that facts are accomplished.

Or is not meant seriously? I'm worried about this new irritations. What is your estimation about the naming?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:07:37 PM by Caelestinus »

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »
This is so confusing.  Why did these clergy go to the ROCOR?  Is the MP closer geographically: Sweden closer to Russia than to the ROCOR headquarters in NY? 

Also, I thought a number of years ago Bishop John Shaw was appointed to be bishop of the Western-rite churches in the ROCOR?

Lastly, how can these clergy men become Orthodox priests without having to study Orthodox theology in Holy Trinity Seminary?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
This is so confusing.  Why did these clergy go to the ROCOR?  Is the MP closer geographically: Sweden closer to Russia than to the ROCOR headquarters in NY?

Because only ROCOR (and Antoch) does the Western Rite, most likely (and maybe also because the MP is so much more politically entangled).
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
Also, I thought a number of years ago Bishop John Shaw was appointed to be bishop of the Western-rite churches in the ROCOR?
Bishop Jerome* Shaw was retired. I'm not sure if he'd exercise jurisdiction in ROCOR WR all around the world... For analogy, Bishop John Berzins (resident in Venezuela) does exercise jurisdiction over ROCOR Old Rite all around the world, so maybe Bishop Jerome did the same?

Lastly, how can these clergy men become Orthodox priests without having to study Orthodox theology in Holy Trinity Seminary?
That's not unheard of outside countries with Orthodox majority (or at least large numbers and structure like the US). I believe most priests here in Brazil never studied in a formal seminary, we've been starting to send our men to study abroad recently (while locals were trained informally and foreigners were sent from abroad), so I imagine how frequently this is, say, in Subsaharan Africa, which experiences a large growth of Orthodoxy with few resources. My archdiocese, for instance, originally had its bishop (which had a terrible fear of airplanes) oversees and just sent men in a plane to Europe to be ordained in a rush, in a process obviously too expensive to get any more complex.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »

The Russian Orthodox Church seems to be focusing its Western Rite mission through ROCOR.  This makes sense.  It is still very small so it seems best to keep it administratively unified rather than split across two synods.

He was, but the ROCOR Synod retired Bishop Jerome nearly five years ago and placed all Western Rite missions and communities directly under Metropolitan Hilarion.

This seems completely unremarkable to me.  Most Orthodox priests I know do not have an Orthodox seminary education.  Ordination is ordination, and formation is done in different ways.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline ROCORWRVUK

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »

writes:

VÅR DEKAN (PROST)
Hieromunk Serafim
Dekan för dekanatet
av Gamla Rus-Skandinavien

I understand "Gamla Rus-Skandinavien" as Old Russia-Scandinavia..so Fr. Serafim is dean for much more countries than stated above, including Belarus, Ucrainia, Russia?

And what is even more surprising that the "Dekanradet" is in personal union a Domkapitel (= Cathedral Chapter):

http://www.nordiskortodox.org/kontakt/domkapitlet-dekanr%C3%A5det-36848063

NOAK:s DOMKAPITEL

Ordförande, praeses - Hieromunk F. Serafim
Kansler, kanslichef - Diakon F. Petrus Michael Catenacci
Vice kansler - economus - Benedikt Joakim Widell
Vice kansler - sekreterare - Hieromunk F. Lazarus
Lekmannaledamot - Kantor Göran Grahn

Domkapitlets postadress:
Domkapitlet, NOAK
c/o Catenacci, Folkungagatan 132 B
116 30 Stockholm

A Cathedral Chapter (not in the US, but in Europe) has the right to elect a bishop. It constitutes a diocese (No diocese without a cathedral chapter; no cathedral chapter without a diocese). This implies ROCOR has a new diocese (sede vacante). Don't know, if the Synod has realized the change of the hierarchal structure of their Church already, and that facts are accomplished.

Or is not meant seriously? I'm worried about this new irritations. What is your estimation about the naming?

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that if the ROCOR WR leadership has announced it as a Deanery, then it is a Deanery according to ROCOR's understanding. Fr. Mark Rowe is the Dean for the WR in North America and he has various assistants, comparable to the personnel listed on that website. It's probably just a broader use of the terminology.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:48:58 PM by ROCORWRVUK »

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that if the ROCOR WR leadership has announced it as a Deanery, then it is a Deanery according to ROCOR's understanding. Fr. Mark Rowe is the Dean for the WR in North America and he has various assistants, comparable to the personnel listed on that website. It's probably just a broader use of the terminology.

A new deanery for ROCOR-WR: Great news!
A Scandinavian deanery: Fine!
That a deanery is governed by a councel (with the dean as president): Normal!

A dean of a deanery is a normal priest (in Russian tradition often a mitred archpriest). A dean of a cathedral chapter on the other hand - and a provost even more - is a prelate (in the Western tradition). Is Hieromonk Serafim a dean or a provost? Both?  :raising eyebrowns: And: "Dean for Old Russia-Scandinavia"? Is this the official name of the new Deanery? As far as I remember, ROCOR stopped all activities within the canonical boundaries of the ROC, but now entering Ucrainia/parts of Russia from the North, as the name on the "Nordic Orthodox Apostolic Church/Scandinavian Deanery of ROCOR-WR"-homepage suggests?

Furthermore, why suggests the article from Fr. Novack that the clergy came directly from the Nordic Catholic Church/PNCC/Union of Scranton as their name (see above) contradicts this thesis and as the internet easily reveals that they were under the omophorion of the Exarch of the Kiev patriarchate lately:
Pictures:
http://www.nordiskortodox.org/galleri/kyrkliga-h%C3%A4ndelser-35234657

https://sv-se.facebook.com/gudsmodern/

Articles:
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordens_Ortodoxa_Apostoliska_Kyrka

http://www.dagen.se/ortodox-kyrka-far-inte-bli-medlem-i-sveriges-kristna-rad-1.925700

(BTW: Is the use of the term "Church" - obviously still in use - appropriate in a canonical orthodox context and in accordance with canon law for a deanery?)

According to the picture in the article cited above and from other internet-sources Fr. (or Igumen?? cf. dean's fb-account) Serafim was not only ordained as priest by the Swedish (Lutheran) Church and the PNCC, but served as priest in the affiliation of the Kiev Patriarchate until very recently (does this explain the styling "Dean (Provost) of Old Russia-Scandinavia"?)

An biography written by the Dean himself just before entering the Nordic Catholic Church in 2012 can be read here:
http://furemalm.blogspot.de/2012/03/nordisk-katolska-kyrkans-prastkandidat.html
TE DEUM, LAUDAMUS! Så kan det kanske vara dags och på sin plats att jag något presenterar mig själv, på ett lite mer personligt sätt och så att säga därmed träder ut i offentlighetens ljus...., detta också med tanke på den stora, ekumeniska och inte minst omvälvande, personliga händelse som, Deo volente, planeras att äga rum om ungefär en och en halv månad, nämligen prästvigningsmässan Lördagen den 19 maj 2012, alltså på den helige undergöraren och ärkebiskopen S:t Dunstan av Canterburys minnesdag, en av den tidiga, nordeuropeiska Kyrkans mest aktade helgon, kanske mest känd för sin speciella förmåga att handskas med djävulen...

Jag heter alltså Matteus Maria Furemalm, (det är både mitt prästnamn och mitt folkbokföringsnamn, även om jag nog mest kallas 'Mats' av de som känner mig), har nått den anmärkningsvärda åldern av 46 år, hur nu det gick till, och är bördig från Wärmland, skaldernas undersköna och mytomspunna landskap, där jag växte upp mellan älven och skogen, i Säffle, Wärmlands Venedig. Efter att i ungdomen tillbringat ett antal år på Cypern och i Grekland, där bl a mina första möten med den Ortodoxa kyrkan gjorde djupa och livslånga intryck på mitt kristna liv, så har jag större delen av mitt liv bott här i Stockholms City och under åren verkat som bl a frilansjournalist, städare, väktare/arbetsledare, ordningsvakt, t f butikschef, taxichaufför, åkare (egen företagare i taxibranschen) och de senaste fjorton åren alltså som präst, varav de drygt tio senaste åren som komminister i S:t Matteus i Vasastan. Efter teologistudier i Stockholm och Uppsala, prästvigdes jag i Svenska kyrkan, Visby stift, 1998 av biskop emeritus Biörn Fjärstedt och verkade en kort tid på denna vackra ö, den första tiden i Bunge pastorat (med Fåro) och senare Garde pastorat, innan jag återvände till Stockholm. Jag är både teologie och filosofie magister och har förutom teologi även studerat psykologi, retorik, egyptologi och juridik. Jag gjorde mitt examensarbete för teologie magisterexamen i religionspsykologi och liturgik, med temat: "Att koppla grepp om det onda". Just liturgivetenskap var mitt huvudämne och det är fortfarande mitt huvudsakliga intresseområde inom teologin och får jag ostörd gräva ner mig i gamla missalen och ritualen är jag nog som lyckligast... Det, och att sedan få fira den heliga Mässan inför Herrens altare, är det som ger mig allra störst kraft och glädje i livet!

Nu har jag dock begåvats med också andra glädjeämnen i livet. Jag är gift med Merja, diakonissa i Finska församlingen i Stockholm och jag är framför allt pappa till Anastasia Maria, 8 år. Under många år har vi tillsammans lett populära pilgrimsresor i Italien, till bl a Rom, Assisi, Subiaco, Cascia, Loreto och San Giovanni Rotondo, Europas allra största vallfartsort med den helige Pio av Pietrelcinas grav. Då vi nu har en stor del av släkten i Rom, är vi i 'Caput Mundi' ett antal gånger under året och jag betraktar utan någon tvekan Rom som Staden, 'Urbs'. Italien är hemma och där har vi många goda vänner, bland klosterfolk och prästerskap, men så jobbar vi ändå och är verksamma även i Sverige... Även kristna resor i Finland, där övrig släkt finns, och i Baltikum har stått på programmet och nu i augusti även till olika kloster i Ryssland.

För en del inom svenskkyrkligheten är jag nog känd inte minst för det arbete med och kring Stilla veckans och Påskens gudstjänster och kristna traditioner som jag under några år fick förmånen att leda här i S:t Matteus församling samt kanske också för de många pilgrimsresorna och ett antal föredrag runt sådana ämnen som Ortodoxa kyrkans tro och liv, kristen konst, ikonografi, Påskens historia och Gudsmoderns och helgonens liv och historia.

Nu tar jag alltså, efter lång betänketid, ett helt nytt steg i min andliga resa och blir under våren, vad jag själv skulle vilja kalla ortodox-katolsk, präst i Nordisk-katolska kyrkan, vilket för mig personligen på det mest optimala sättet förenar min i grunden ortodoxa tro - den odelade Kyrkans tro - med min västliga tradition och min historia som latinsk kristen. Hela mitt kristna liv har jag haft svårt att välja, då kärleken varit lika stor till både det katolska och det ortodoxa, både till det latinska och det bysantinska, både till det västliga och det östliga, så till slut har jag helt enkelt bestämt mig för att inte välja! Jag har bestämt mig för att, med den salige Johannes Paulus II:s profetiska ord, "andas med kristenhetens båda lungor"!

Därmed är jag alltså nordisk-katolsk, fullt ut katolsk, men därmed inte endast romersk; fullt ut ortodox, men därmed inte endast bysantinsk; fullt ut evangelisk, men därmed inte endast reformatorisk; fullt ut karismatisk, men därmed inte endast pentekostal! Fungerar detta? Ja, jag tror det och jag tänker, med alla intresserade som känner som jag och som vill vara med om denna resa, att försöka bevisa det i praktiken. Nordisk-katolska kyrkan representerar för mig, får jag nog säga, 'mina drömmars kyrka', den kyrka jag i stort sett skulle landat i om jag själv fått önska fritt och den kyrka som jag därför nog aldrig trodde fanns. På så sätt, ser jag NKK som den bäst bevarade hemligheten i den katolska Kyrkan och i den svenska kristenheten! Kanske låter det för bra för att vara sant, och många intresserade som vi haft kontakt med den senaste tiden har sagt just detta, men varför skulle inte just vår tid kunna få vara med om ett viktigt kapitel i svensk kyrkohistoria? För det är just detta som vi nu upplever...

Det viktiga för mig personligen, i detta sammanhang när jag nu lämnar Svenska kyrkan, är att inte 'starta eget', inte bilda ännu en sekt på den kristna kartan, inte forma något helt nytt samfund utan någon djupare förankring i Kyrkans historia, utan min vilja har i stället väldigt tydligt varit att, med mitt evangeliska och nordiska arv, få anknyta till ett redan etablerat sammanhang, att få bli en del av en kyrka som har hela sin förhistoria gemensam med hela den Romersk-katolska kyrkan, att få gå in i en kyrka som har sin tro och teologi gemensam med hela den Ortodoxa kyrkan och att få del av en obestridlig, apostolisk succession och en sakramentsförvaltning som på olika sätt är fullt ut accepterad och godkänd av nästan samtliga av de andra, kanoniska kyrkorna. De höga företrädare för både den Romersk-katolska och den Ortodoxa kyrkan som vi fått anledning att möta och samtala med under den senaste tiden, både i Sverige och utomlands, har också samtliga välkomnat oss och tagit emot oss med ett öppet och generöst sinne, som jämbördiga bröder i Kristi Kropp, och de har samtliga betygat oss den fulla giltigheten i PNCC:s och NKK:s katolicitet, i erkännande av vår självklara, apostoliska succession och våra ämbetsbärares sakramentsförvaltning. Detta är kanske det som avgjorde det hela för mig personligen. Även om det med säkerhet inte blev som Martin Luther en gång tänkte sig och även om hans uppsåt nog inte heller var att bilda något nytt utanför Kyrkan, så kan man ändå säga att jag känner att jag nu går åt helt motsatt håll än vad han gjorde.

Vi börjar visserligen i Sverige i liten skala, det är sant, (men så började det ju en gång...) och även om det naturligtvis kommer att innebära mycket arbete, så är det också en förmån att s a s få vara med i den första generationen av NKK i Sverige och få vara en liten del i att bygga upp något som vi tror med tiden kan bli riktigt fantastiskt, med bistånd av andra, goda krafter. Den grundläggande kyrkounionen 'Union of Scranton' med sin egen biskopssynod ICBC, International Catholic Bishops Conference, är redan på plats och verksam. Allt detta har det tidigare skrivits rätt så mycket om på NKK:s svenska blogg, http://nordiskkatolsk.blogspot.se/, liksom att vår moderkyrka, PNCC, Polish National Catholic Church, redan sedan länge har partiell (och reciprok) interkommunion och gemensam sakramentsförvaltning (vad gäller de pastorala sakramenten) med den Romersk-katolska kyrkan i USA och Canada, något vi arbetar från båda håll med att få till stånd även här i Europa, och Nordisk-katolska kyrkan har förra året fått sin första biskop, H. H. Roald Nikolai Flemestad i Oslo, som nu är fullt upptagen med alla intresserade lekmän, präster och församlingar ute i Europa som söker sig till Union of Scranton och NKK.

Fem livaktiga församlingar inom NKK finns redan i Norge, fyra församlingar inom PNCC i Italien och NKK har även fått sitt första kloster i Tyskland, utanför München. Uppgifter om detta hittar ni under flikarna högst upp på NKK:s svenska blogg, men..., fler, stora och fantastiska saker är på gång i dessa länder och andra länder runt omkring oss, med andra församlingar och provinser som är under bildande inom den snara framtiden, men om detta får jag naturligtvis inte säga något än..., annat än att vi i NKK Sverige nog väldigt snart får se oss som en liten del i en mycket större kyrkogemenskap... Just nu händer det förbluffande och överraskande saker varje dag och trycket är stort på oss att på ett rätt sätt ta hand om alla intresserade och alla förfrågningar.

Men, det vi måste börja med, är som alltid i Kyrkans historia, den heliga Mässan, Kyrkans enda, egentliga existensberättigande! Därför kommer vi i inledningen avv NKK:s historia i Sverige att lägga i stort sett alla våra resurser och all vår kraft på att få till stånd en regelbunden, vacker, värdig, högtidlig och helig högmässa, djupt personlig och både jublande och meditativ, med stort deltagande av hela församlingen, och samtidigt både traditionell och därmed högst modern. Detta är vår största utmaning, men lyckas vi skapa sådana gudstjänster, fast förankrade i Kyrkans tradition och med ett budskap om det eviga livet som betyder något i detta det jordiska livet för dagens människor, så kommer församlingen av sig själv! Om prästen återvänder till altaret, så leder Herren själv människorna in i kyrkan! Och det som sedan, i form av olika vägar in i mässan, växer ut ur mässan och gudstjänstens sammanhang, är det som kommer att överleva!

I Sverige bildades därför den första, svenska församlingen av NKK redan förra året, Gudsmoderns Beskydds mission i Stockholm (enligt NKK:s definitioner är en 'församling' bestående av minst tjugo döpta, krismerade personer över 18 år; innan detta antal uppnåtts är det en 'mission'), som med tiden är tänkt att verka som en moderförsamling för Sverige, men som under en tid nu väntat på en präst som kan ta på sig ansvaret för denna mission. Vår första diakon, Petrus Michael Catenacci, en mångårig medlem i NKK och administrator för NKK Sverige, vigdes i februari i år, tillsammans med en akolyt, Magnus Sterner, för församlingen, vilket det nyss rapporterades på den svenska bloggen om. Under Påsken kommer jag själv att upptas i NKK och krismeras. Då jag tidigare alltså under lång tid verkat i en andlig tjänst och även har en grundlig, teologisk examen, och med tanke på det stora behovet av att få igång församlingsverksamheten, kommer jag även under Stilla veckan, enligt biskop Roald Nikolais uttryckliga önskemål och vilja, att få de första vigningarna sammantagna i en följd, fram t o m att jag också diakonvigs av biskopen i samband med Påsknattsmässan.

Den 19 maj kommer sedan PNCC:s och hela Union of Scrantons primas, H. E. ärkebiskop Anthony Mikovsky, till Stockholm för att prästviga undertecknad, i S:t Peters metodistkyrka på Upplandsgatan 12 i centrala Stockholm, och under sommaren och hösten börjar så NKK:s egentliga arbete på allvar i Sverige, med regelbundna gudstjänster och andlig utbildning, för att rusta den växande församlingen. Redan samma helg kommer ett antal personer som uttryckt sitt intresse för detta att krismeras och upptas i Nordisk-katolska kyrkan och församlingen i Stockholm och så börjar vår resa...

En viktig princip inom NKK, är att kyrkans ämbetsbärare själv skall försörja sig (och sin eventuella familj, då det prästerliga celibatet inte är obligatoriskt inom NKK eller PNCC). Från årsskiftet började jag därför mitt nya, sekulära arbete, som kronoinspektör på Kronofogdemyndigheten, då myndigheten i sin nya organisation sökt få in också de värden som jag representerar och den kompetens som jag besitter, i mötet med olika människor som ofta befinner sig i svåra och pressade situationer i livet. Detta är nu också ett arbete som är alldeles utmärkt att kombinera med att vara församlingspräst och leda gudstjänster på söndagar och helgdagar, för min första identitet är och kommer alltid att vara såsom präst, för präst är i grunden inget arbete utan ett kall och något man är, även om man för sin försörjning har ett ett rent världsligt yrke och kanske också t o m bör ha det.

Efter min avskedspredikan i S:t Matteus, på Jungfru Marie Bebådelsedag 25 mars, lämnade jag också Svenska kyrkan, ett beslut som vuxit fram under några år. I samband med detta vill jag passa på att tacka, först och främst min hustru och min familj för deras tålamod, stöd och kärlek under denna tid, men också alla gamla kollegor i Svenska kyrkan, alla underbara församlingsbor som jag fått förmånen att dela dessa år i S:t Matteus med, alla ledamöter i kyrkoråd och kyrkofullmäktige, alla systrar, bröder och fäder i Societas Sanctae Birgittae (som jag har så mycket kunskap att tacka för), min tidigare vigningsbiskop Biörn Fjärstedt, och, inte minst, kyrkoherde Madeleine Eurenius i S:t Matteus och biskop Eva Brunne i Stockholms stift, som jag respekterar från djupet av mitt hjärta och som jag hela tiden försökt informera om mina planer. Båda har på olika sätt varit ett stort stöd under denna övergångstid. Jag hoppas att även i framtiden få räkna er som mina vänner i Kristus!

Som ni förstår, är det utan någon som helst bitterhet eller besvikelse som jag nu lämnar Svenska kyrkan. Det finns, till min kännedom, inga konflikter, strider eller skiljaktigheter, mellan mig och någon enda i Svenska kyrkan. Det enda jag nu gör, är att jag, med förväntan och i förlitan på Gud, tar konsekvensen av min tro och teologi, för att pröva om det är så som jag och många andra tror, att detta är enligt Guds vilja och att vi har en uppgift, liten eller stor, i detta verk!

På NKK: svenska blogg, http://nordiskkatolsk.blogspot.se/, finns väldigt mycket information om vad NKK är och om våra intentioner inför framtiden. Jag uppmanar er alla att läsa det först. Om allt det ovanstående, d v s om en genuin, inhemsk, ortodox tro enligt västlig tradition och utlevd i en nordisk kontext, samt om hur vi tillsammans skall åstadkomma detta, vill jag naturligtvis gärna också tala mer om, med alla intresserade, och gärna då vi ses för att fira gudstjänst tillsammans, men jag avslutar för denna gång, med att tillönska alla läsare av denna min privata blogg

Guds frid och Gudsmoderns beskydd!

Resident:

Matteus Maria Gregorius Pius Mats Furemalm (19651001-XXXX)

Matteus Maria är gift/i partnerskap och äger inga fastigheter.

Spara kontakt
Adress

Matteus Maria Furemalm
Upplandsgatan 81 LGH 1405
113 44 Stockholm
https://www.merinfo.se/person/Stockholm/Matteus-Maria-Gregorius-Pius-Mats-Furemalm-1965/bp6t5-2eekp

cf.: https://www.hitta.se/matteus+maria+furemalm/stockholm/person/zzgj_4nO1H

His wife:

Merja Hannele Furemalm (19580105-XXXX)

Merja är gift/i partnerskap och äger inga fastigheter.

Spara kontakt
Adress

Merja Furemalm
Upplandsgatan 81 LGH 1405
113 44 Stockholm
https://www.merinfo.se/person/Stockholm/Merja-Hannele-Furemalm-1958/bno3t-1tlso

Frankly, sharing the same flat with the own wife after having become a monk, is particular.

Perhaps it's all a great misunderstanding and one must not interpret things too seriously. I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:03:45 AM by Caelestinus »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
They were all re-ordained-that is to say, ordained-no?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »

Even if they were ordained in the Orthodox Church by an Orthodox bishop I am still wary of these converts not being required to get a proper Orthodox seminary education at the ROCOR seminary Holy Trinty.   Re-education first then ordination.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »

Even if they were ordained in the Orthodox Church by an Orthodox bishop I am still wary of these converts not being required to get a proper Orthodox seminary education at the ROCOR seminary Holy Trinty.   Re-education first then ordination.

My understanding is that they have a program of some sorts at Holy Trinity.

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 05:11:41 AM »

triple-no?

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 05:38:22 AM »

According to Wikipedia the NOAK has 11.500 members. But whether these figures are reliable or not, the question is, how such a process of transition is done: Were they recieved as individuals who now form the Scandinavian deanery or were they recieved as a body, with a blessing to maintain their name (NOAK), their institutions (cathedral chapter), their offices and titels (Provost, Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Economist etc.) and for their monks to cohabit with their spouses (if the information cited above is not misleading)?

Should we prejudice? No. We just don't know, which arrangements were made. They are most certainly fine and God-loving people. What I expect is, that the process is well accompanied by the church authorities. Seminary may we helpful, but shouldn't be mandatory. JM2C.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 12:11:51 AM »
Very interesting. The parish that I plan on attending when I start graduate school just happens to be a ROCOR Western Rite parish.

Offline ROCORWRVUK

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
On Monday, September 3, at the Parish church of St Joseph the Betrothed in Sarasota Florida (ROCOR Western Rite), His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion ordained Subdeacon Adam Warrenfels to the Diaconate. Deacon Adam took the ordination name of Basil.  Fr. Deacon Basil is assigned to St Thomas Orthodox Church in Mountain Home, Arkansas and serves on the Western Rite Communities Media Committee.

Father Deacon David Prestridge of Chattanooga, Tennessee was ordained by Metropolitan Hilarion to the Presbyterate.  Father David will serve as rector of St Bartholomew Orthodox Church in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The candidates were presented for ordination by Archpriest Mark Rowe, rector of St. Joseph the Betrothed Orthodox Church and Vicar General of the ROCOR Western Rite Communities.

Source: http://frnovak.blogspot.com/

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
Mountain Home now has three priests and two deacons.

Meanwhile, this part of the state doesn't have anyone  in the 30 surrounding counties.

Some folks have all the luck.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:51:40 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »

Meanwhile, this part of the state doesn't have anyone  in the 30 surrounding counties.

I wonder if the bishop would agree to one of them transferring if you provided the space for a mission.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »

I wonder if the bishop would agree to one of them transferring if you provided the space for a mission.

I would love it, but TBH I am not sure how much interest there would be in this area. Mountain Home is about as far away from me as you can get and both of us still be in the same state.

The funny thing about Mountain Home's apparent success in going from no Orthodox church to one with five major clergy is that the pastor of the parish I attend when I am able tried for several years to maintain a mission there and was not able to. He's based approximately 150 miles away.

A full-time local priest is probably a key ingredient to keeping a mission alive. (It doesn't hurt that the current Mountain Home parish was the mass conversion of an already established church with a charismatic pastor.)
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline ROCORWRVUK

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »

I would love it, but TBH I am not sure how much interest there would be in this area. Mountain Home is about as far away from me as you can get and both of us still be in the same state.

The funny thing about Mountain Home's apparent success in going from no Orthodox church to one with five major clergy is that the pastor of the parish I attend when I am able tried for several years to maintain a mission there and was not able to. He's based approximately 150 miles away.

A full-time local priest is probably a key ingredient to keeping a mission alive. (It doesn't hurt that the current Mountain Home parish was the mass conversion of an already established church with a charismatic pastor.)

No harm in contacting the rector of the parish or the dean of ROCOR's WR and making some inquiries. New missions are always welcome.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:44:06 PM by ROCORWRVUK »