Author Topic: Second coming of the Lord  (Read 445 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Second coming of the Lord
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
In primary school all my class went out on a break I saw a box with books. I saw a picture book with an amazing scene of the second coming gathering up to heaven. I looked for it online I’m not sure if I found it or not. I think it was the Lord telling me to tell everyone to prepare and to look forward to His coming. I think I need to go out warning everyone within my takents and gifts and not be a coward fearing rejection

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Second coming of the Lord
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember being so frightened by Evangelical portrayals of the Rapture and Tribulation that I once literally begged God with tears to "change His plan" to something better.

I also know a guy who used to have recurring nightmares about being "left behind." There's an interesting psychological study to be done about the effects of these sorts of beliefs on the kids who grow up with them.
I do stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
In middle school, there was a period of time when we were obsessed with flash games and would spend our recesses indoors on the computers. Well, one day, one of the kids says that he's gonna go play outside instead because the world was sure to end soon and that seemed the better thing to do. While I had perceived a sense that we shouldn't expect the end times to be far off, I had never encountered any sort of active apocalypticism, and haven't much since either. Here, however, was someone who took more seriously matters to which I hadn't given any thought, and it was striking enough to etch that moment in my impressionable young mind.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
In middle school, there was a period of time when we were obsessed with flash games and would spend our recesses indoors on the computers. Well, one day, one of the kids says that he's gonna go play outside instead because the world was sure to end soon and that seemed the better thing to do. While I had perceived a sense that we shouldn't expect the end times to be far off, I had never encountered any sort of active apocalypticism, and haven't much since either. Here, however, was someone who took more seriously matters to which I hadn't given any thought, and it was striking enough to etch that moment in my impressionable young mind.

Did you go to school with Antonis? 

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »

Now I'm just trying to parse what his logic was. Because the elements will melt with fervent heat and there will be no more "outside?" But that would also happen to flash games lol.
I do stuff.

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »
Thankyou for your replies.

In primary school all my class went out on a break I saw a box with books. I saw a picture book with an amazing scene of the second coming gathering up to heaven. I looked for it online I’m not sure if I found it or not. I think it was the Lord telling me to tell everyone to prepare and to look forward to His coming. I think I need to go out warning everyone within my takents and gifts and not be a coward fearing rejection

When I said
I think I need to go out warning everyone within my talents and gifts and not be a coward fearing rejection

I know it sounds bad. I do not mean immediately like it is my job to bible bash but just tell others what I think the Lord wants me to say if they want to hear. I don't know why I said coward fearing rejection. I think I mean I should not think they will never hear me and so even if I bear spiritual fruits in my life they won't hear me so I won't try to grow deep in some fruits for service and but just fruits of repentance for my salvation. I shouldn't be a coward if I can talk about God while I have good opportunity and not worthy of being offensive.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:06:33 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »

When I said
I think I need to go out warning everyone within my talents and gifts and not be a coward fearing rejection

I know it sounds bad. I do not mean immediately like it is my job to bible bash but just tell others what I think the Lord wants me to say if they want to hear. I don't know why I said coward fearing rejection. I think I mean I should not think they will never hear me and so even if I bear spiritual fruits in my life they won't hear me so I won't try to grow deep in some fruits for service and but just fruits of repentance for my salvation. I shouldn't be a coward if I can talk about God while I have good opportunity and not worthy of being offensive.

Such things are usually best done in the context of a relationship. I don't think people usually respond well to a random person haranguing them. I mean, evangelizing random people does have its place, but it's usually best done by someone with a formal position to do so.

It's also very important to be polite (which doesn't have to conflict with honesty), to make it clear that this is not trying to heap fire and brimstone on them but done out of concern for their well being.
I do stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Άλιεύς Ἰχθύων
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

Did you go to school with Antonis?

No one quite at his level, though I tried play-acting at it for a time.

Now I'm just trying to parse what his logic was. Because the elements will melt with fervent heat and there will be no more "outside?" But that would also happen to flash games lol.

I should have noted that there is a prevailing attitude among older Old Believers that most forms of explicitly modern entertainment are ungodly. Kids tend to reflect some measure of their parents' views but, of course, most end up adopting a more accepting attitude with age. In this case, it seems my classmate figured that if he should soon find himself before the Dread Judgment Seat, he wouldn't be stuck with the charge of engaging in ungodly computer games; he had been playing outside, after all.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:40:40 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
Ah, ok. That makes sense.
I do stuff.

Offline ttcmacro

• Faith: Orthodox