Author Topic: Communing Body and Blood sperately in the Coptic Church  (Read 809 times)

Offline NJC

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church - Australia
Communing Body and Blood sperately in the Coptic Church
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

Hi everyone, i am currently within the Greek Orthodox tradition and as most on this forum know have been looking in to joining the Coptic Orthodox Church. I have been trying to learn and understand all that is both similar and different between the two churches, and one big difference is that in the Coptic Church, the Body and Blood of Christ are consumed seperately, whereas in the Greek Orthodox church they are mixed together.

Can anyone shed some light on the development of these differences and what the practice of the early church was?

Thank you,
NJC

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Communing Body and Blood sperately in the Coptic Church
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
Also curious; I noticed this on a stream Pascha night.  Pure curiosity for me, no polemics. 
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »

Can anyone shed some light on the development of these differences and what the practice of the early church was?

Separate. It's preserved in EO Churches at st. James Liturgy.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »
My impression is that separate is the traditional way of communing because eating and drinking are two different actions that is highlighted time and time again from the Scriptures to the patristic writings.  I have not read any indication that both are combined in one shot unless I missed something clear.

With that in mind, I think that if there is only one cleric giving the Eucharist, I can see the merit of combination for convenience.  But if there are multiple clergy praying the liturgy, I don't see why it should be combined.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:58:32 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NJC

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church - Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
My impression is that separate is the traditional way of communing because eating and drinking are two different actions that is highlighted time and time again from the Scriptures to the patristic writings.  I have not read any indication that both are combined in one shot unless I missed something clear.

With that in mind, I think that if there is only one cleric giving the Eucharist, I can see the merit of combination for convenience.  But if there are multiple clergy praying the liturgy, I don't see why it should be combined.

Thank you. It's in the Greek Orthodox church where they are combined and the reason for that is convenience i have heard... you know, if your communing 2-300 people, to do it seperately is logistically difficult. But in my experience in the Coptic church they seem to manage just fine, albeit you need multiple Priests.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »
Usually, if I am not praying with another priest, I am praying with a Full Deacon, who is permitted to distribute the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. In a small congregation of 50-70 people where I am the only one distributing communion it is not too difficult. In a larger congregation there is almost always a Full Deacon at least, if not another priest.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
Usually, if I am not praying with another priest, I am praying with a Full Deacon, who is permitted to distribute the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. In a small congregation of 50-70 people where I am the only one distributing communion it is not too difficult. In a larger congregation there is almost always a Full Deacon at least, if not another priest.

I realise this must be a technical term, Father, that I imagine must distinguish a deacon from other people who might potentially be confused with deacons, but because of how I process information, the term "Full Deacon" did amuse me a little.  Please believe me when I say that I mean no disrespect but I now have images of half-deacons, and various other fractions of deacons unable to fulfil their liturgical duties until they're complete.  :o
'It was not a question of any tolerance of this or that custom, but of the restoration within universal Orthodoxy of the legitimate, immortal, and Orthodox face of the West.' - St John of Saint-Denis (Eugraph Kovalevsky)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »

I realise this must be a technical term, Father, that I imagine must distinguish a deacon from other people who might potentially be confused with deacons, but because of how I process information, the term "Full Deacon" did amuse me a little.  Please believe me when I say that I mean no disrespect but I now have images of half-deacons, and various other fractions of deacons unable to fulfil their liturgical duties until they're complete.  :o

lol, I agree with your confusion, but unfortunately in the Coptic Church, anyone who is vested in Arabic is called a "shamas" which is the literal translation of "deacon".  When some people in church say "I'm a deacon", and I respond half-jokingly "no you're not!"
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »
Yes, we have to use such language because of the confusion over what a Deacon is, a very real and harmful confusion.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
  • Elder
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
Thank you, both, for your explanations and clarification.  :)
'It was not a question of any tolerance of this or that custom, but of the restoration within universal Orthodoxy of the legitimate, immortal, and Orthodox face of the West.' - St John of Saint-Denis (Eugraph Kovalevsky)

Online Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:47 PM »
I've been at services ~ where Wine and Mas were separate ~ I like that ```

One priest told me ~ the combining ~ was because of the fear of spilling ~ The Blessed Sacrament ```

seth
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:41:00 PM by Sethrak »