Author Topic: Theosis vs general Church salvation  (Read 315 times)

Offline aluke164

• Student of Christ
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of the South
Theosis vs general Church salvation
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
So this is something that has always confused me:
We hear the words "as many as have been baptized have been saved" in the church, and I've heard my priest say that everyone who is faithful in the mysteries is saved.

But at the same time I think about theosis, and Christ talking about the narrow path. I mean one could think that you are required to be to a monastic level of asceticism to achieve theosis. So are our ideas of salvation contradictory? Does everyone who lives normal lives within the church achieve salvation? And what about toll houses? Will they be able to withstand the temptations of those without the extreme training of an ascetic life?

Thanks!
-Marius-

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Theosis vs general Church salvation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
Everything that we do in the Church is a step in the direction of theosis.  Asceticism is not exclusive for monks.  Our whole lives are a struggle, but when we carry that struggle “in Christ”, “putting on Christ”, in RELATIONSHIP with Christ, and being one in and with Christ, baptism and the sacramental life is not just rituals, but it is also how we take the rituals into our daily lives for His glory as He also gives us of His glory.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Theosis vs general Church salvation
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
I think a clear example of this is given in advice from St. John  Climacus to a layperson.

Go to step 1 in the Ladder of Divine Ascent and just read paragraph 21 ( no other).

http://www.prudencetrue.com/images/TheLadderofDivineAscent.pdf

Read in the Bible Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10 and then John 15:1-10 that seem to match what  St. John is saying. These should be the basic scope for many
 of us in the laity.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:15:10 PM by recent convert »
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."