Author Topic: Russian historian Vladimir Solzhenitsyn on the danger of forgetting God.  (Read 392 times)

Offline Xavier

• High Elder
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for US!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
Vladimir Solzhenitsyn, after spending a lifetime researching the fundamental errors behind Communism, concluded atheistic materialism was at its root. If men forget God, society and civilization will be lost. Do you agree with him?

http://www.aoiusa.org/solzhenitsyn-men-have-forgotten-god/

More than half a century ago, while I was still a child, I recall hearing a number of older people offer the following explanation for the great disasters that had befallen Russia: Men have forgotten God; that’s why all this has happened.

Since then I have spent well-nigh fifty years working on the history of our Revolution; in the process I have read hundreds of books, collected hundreds of personal testimonies, and have already contributed eight volumes of my own toward the effort of clearing away the rubble left by that upheaval. But if I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible the main cause of the ruinous Revolution that swallowed up some sixty million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: Men have forgotten God; that’s why all this has happened.
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep Me company for a quarter of an hour" - The Theotokos to Sr. Lucia.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
I suppose so, sure, though admittedly one of the things that surprised me about The Gulag Archipelago was how little God and faith were mentioned.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Chinese society for many centuries seems to have given little recognition to God. Buddhism isn't particularly focused on God Himself. Taoism is a Chinese religion that may have a supreme God in its pantheon. Chinese Folk religion has a concept of the supreme deity, but he doesn't seem to have frequent worship by the peasantry since ancient times.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Chinese society for many centuries seems to have given little recognition to God. Buddhism isn't particularly focused on God Himself. Taoism is a Chinese religion that may have a supreme God in its pantheon. Chinese Folk religion has a concept of the supreme deity, but he doesn't seem to have frequent worship by the peasantry since ancient times.

I thought we were talking about 20th century Russia...?  ;)

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA

The curse of death was given as a punishment or a natural occurrence.  People have just accepted it. I don't personally. Science and other cultural systems see it as natural. It is seen that way, if one is in sin. I choose not to accept it because I love myself to much.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:01:27 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless

I think his point is that a society forgetting about God doesn't necessarily descend into a century+ of poverty, corruption, and suffering.

For my part, I wouldn't exactly characterize pre-modern China as a nice place to live for anybody who wasn't rich.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos

I think his point is that a society forgetting about God doesn't necessarily descend into a century+ of poverty, corruption, and suffering.

I would agree. I think that atheists can be caring, moral people; and on the other hand that people have used their Christianity as self-righteous-tinted glasses when justifying despicable things they've done (including large-scale murder). In the case of 20th century Russia, however, I think the turning away from God, combined with authoritarianism and paranoia, played a significant part in the disaster it was (not that the Tsars were living saints).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless

I would agree. I think that atheists can be caring, moral people; and on the other hand that people have used their Christianity as self-righteous-tinted glasses when justifying despicable things they've done (including large-scale murder). In the case of 20th century Russia, however, I think the turning away from God, combined with authoritarianism and paranoia, played a significant part in the disaster it was (not that the Tsars were living saints).

Yeah, especially when changes like that get imposed on society at large in so disruptive a manner. It kind of traumatized a generation.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.