Author Topic: Irish Telecom "Santa" advert (1990s)  (Read 971 times)

Offline NatalieSalat

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Hobart
Irish Telecom "Santa" advert (1990s)
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:12:11 AM »
Can't imagine a boy in the girl's place. Girls present differently to boys, and the cuteness factor would be different. Will also add that they were obviously aiming for cutie pie talks to "Santa" but there's something creepy about a strange old man being able to talk to a child, of any gender, through a toy telephone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2u24_d2w0

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Irish Telecom "Santa" advert (1990s)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »
I guess that kind of works, though there's one thing that makes me doubt your logic. If we're going to condemn Santa for giving off pedo-vibes, then what about St. Nicholas?

Though one can certainly argue that Santa Claus is no longer Saint Nicholas in any meaningful sense, there's still a lot of commonality remaining in their association with children, isn't there?

I agree about the genders.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
We have face time now. So we can see if its really Santa.  :o

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:03:39 PM »
Can't imagine a boy in the girl's place. Girls present differently to boys, and the cuteness factor would be different. Will also add that they were obviously aiming for cutie pie talks to "Santa" but there's something creepy about a strange old man being able to talk to a child, of any gender, through a toy telephone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2u24_d2w0
It could have been worse, she might as well have called the provos.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »
I have no idea what could be creepy about this ad.  It sadly comes from a time when we were more innocent. But now the pandora's box has been opened and everything becomes smutty.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
I have no idea what could be creepy about this ad.  It sadly comes from a time when we were more innocent. But now the pandora's box has been opened and everything becomes smutty.

I agree with you, it doesn’t strike me as creepy...and I’m significantly smutty.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
"I'm Significantly Smutty"- Mor Ephrem, 2018
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:28:59 PM »
"I'm Significantly Smutty"- Mor Ephrem, 2018

That began a lot earlier than 2018.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Yes, but this is the time to make it your campaign bumper sticker slogan ;D

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I talk to kids on toy phones all the time. Sadly talking on toy phones doesn't happen as much as it should anymore, everything beeps and make noise, parents are usually too busy staring at their own dang phone to pay attention to their kids.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I talk to kids on toy phones all the time. Sadly talking on toy phones doesn't happen as much as it should anymore, everything beeps and make noise, parents are usually too busy staring at their own dang phone to pay attention to their kids.

I feel like there's the premise for a Candle Cove homage somewhere in there...

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »

Oh man! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a nostalgia for talking on toy phones. There was one product I bought at a garage sale once, it was a pirate-themed toy phone, and one button actually - somehow - connected to a radio station every Saturday morning, which would play this show about the pirates. Sadly it only played static every other day of the week and after Saturday morning, it played static. Is anybody else familiar with this phone?
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »

Oh man! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a nostalgia for talking on toy phones. There was one product I bought at a garage sale once, it was a pirate-themed toy phone, and one button actually - somehow - connected to a radio station every Saturday morning, which would play this show about the pirates. Sadly it only played static every other day of the week and after Saturday morning, it played static. Is anybody else familiar with this phone?

I don't think I ever had a toy phone as a kid. I was just riffing off the "talking to someone who isn't there" aspect I read out of (or into) Bob's post. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 03:06:51 AM »

I loved walkie talkies as a kid. Edit: I still do.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:07:50 AM by Tzimis »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »

I don't think I ever had a toy phone as a kid. I was just riffing off the "talking to someone who isn't there" aspect I read out of (or into) Bob's post. Sorry for the confusion.

When a toddler hands you a toy phone receiver and informs you that God/Santa/whoever would like a word, you. Take. The. Call.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:06 AM »

When a toddler hands you a toy phone receiver and informs you that God/Santa/whoever would like a word, you. Take. The. Call.

And if the voice on the other end asks you if you're a god, you say "yes."

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
...I'm like just actually completely baffled. I was literally ONLY trying to make (an admittedly unclever) reference to Candle Cove. Aside from the fact that I am completely perplexed at the fact that you didn't pick that up, I'm even more perplexed at the fact that in the story itself, the adults talking about Candle Cove never talk to someone who isn't there, they only watch a pirate show that isn't there...which is what I referenced.
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »
...I'm like just actually completely baffled. I was literally ONLY trying to make (an admittedly unclever) reference to Candle Cove. Aside from the fact that I am completely perplexed at the fact that you didn't pick that up, I'm even more perplexed at the fact that in the story itself, the adults talking about Candle Cove never talk to someone who isn't there, they only watch a pirate show that isn't there...which is what I referenced.

I guess I didn't completely read your post and didn't realize it was a reference, heh. Admittedly, my Candle Cove connection to Bob's post was a bit of a stretch in the first place but I was also hoping it would work with the commercial in the OP.

Offline NatalieSalat

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Hobart
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »
I should really write a story based upon the Santa ad in my OP.

Imagine fantasy figures contacting children through toy phones. Imagine the hilarious reaction of the parents ("you're talking with WHO?!).

It'd be very Poltergeist II: The Other Side

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
I should really write a story based upon the Santa ad in my OP.

Imagine fantasy figures contacting children through toy phones. Imagine the hilarious reaction of the parents ("you're talking with WHO?!).

It'd be very Poltergeist II: The Other Side

Yeah, it's got some potential.