OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:27:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of False Humility by H.H. Pope Shenouda III  (Read 5547 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: October 12, 2005, 07:05:26 PM »

Beware of False Humility
by H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Humility is a living virtue that we must cultivate in our daily spiritual life. Many times, we practice a false humility, where we openly humble ourselves to gain the compliments or praise of others. We must be watchful against this false humility, for it is rooted in pride.

There are many who use expressions of humility, while they are very distantly far away from the spirit of humility. They would say that they are weak sinners, whilst they certainly do not bear anyting like this to be said to them. They would bow their heads in front of others, while their hearts and their thoughts, never bow.

Once I was astonished in reading the front article of a coptic magazine. The writer was speaking about the humility of the Christ our Lord during his baptism, and how he bowed in front of John the Baptist who is incommensurably less than Him, in order that He may fulfill all righteousness. The writer then finished his article with the expression: "O God, give us also, to bow in front of those who are less than us, in order to fulfill all righteousness!" And yet, if this writer beleives in his depths that the others are less than himself, would his bowing be counted as humility? How can that be, while the heart inside is exalted over the people he looks upon, belittling them? This is false humility.

There is a story which Jean Cassian told about Saint Serapion the Great:

Once a wandering monk visited him. When the saint invited him to begin the prayers or the meditation of the Bible, he replied that he was not worthy. When he invited him to sit down on the mat instead of sitting on the ground, he also replied that he was not worthy. Then the saint advised him to keep in his cell, and not to ramble here and there. Then he grew intolerant, and his face became red and he was like a lion. Then said Serapion said to him: "My son, humility is not that you vainly blame yoursel. But humility resides in tolerating the blame that comes to you from others."

The wisdom spoken by the saint is evident to us when we see someone depicting a trait in himself that he does not believe he really has, just to have puff him up. Or he would describe himself as a week sinner, in order to make people say that he is humble, and so, he would gain the praise of others. But if these qualifications were said about him, he would be angry; and if he knew that people would believe the false description that he purports about himself (such as "Ii am a terrible person. I am an unworthy servant..."), he would absolutely never say such things.

As for you, let real humility be yours, with the interior true conviction that you are so, that you possess the defects which you say about yourself.

Saint Isaac said guard against using expressions of humility as a means to pride: "If you deprecate yourself in order to be honored, the Lord will expose you... And if you censure yourself aiming at truth, the Lord will make his creatures open in front of you, the door of his glory of which He speaks from eternity, and they would glorify you and glorify the Creator, because in truth you would be to His image and His resemblance."

The Wisdom of the Fathers on the Virtue of Humility

Once a brother asked saint Pachomius, the father of communal monasterial life, saying: "Tell us about a vision from the visions which you see, so that we may profit by it."

The saint replied: "Those who are like me, a sinner, are not given visions. But if you want to see a brilliant vision from which you can truly profit, I shall guide you to it. If you see a humble man with a pure heart, that would be greater than all the visions; because through that vision, you would see the invisible God. Do not ask for a better vision." (That is, he means that he sees the image of God in that man.)

Saint Augustine said, "You want to acquire everything. Ask for that by means of humility. When the canaanite woman said: "Yes Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their master's table", she heard his word: "O woman, great is your faith!" (Matt. 15:27-28).

And also when the centurion said: "I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof", the Lord said: "I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!" (Luke 7: 6-9).

Let us hold on humility. If we have it not till now, let us learn it. If we have it, let us not lose it.

Saint Ebraxius said, "The tree of humility which raises up, is lowliness". He also said, "Imitate the publican, so that you would not be judged with the pharisee."

Saint Anthony said, "Love humility, because it covers all sins."

Saint Barsenophius said, "Acquire humility, because it breaks all the snares of the enemy."

Saint Isaiah said, "Love humility, because it guards you against sin."

Saint Pacomius said, "Walk in the way of humility; because God does not let the humble go back unsatisfied. But he lets the proud fall down, and his fall would be hideous. Beware of the haughtiness of the heart, because it is the most horrible vice."

He also said: "Be humble in order to be joyous; because joy goes with humility. Be humble so that the Lord would protect you and strengthen you; because He says that He regards the humble. Be meek, so that the Lord would fill you with wisdom, knowledge, and understanding; because it is written that "The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way." (Ps. 25:9)

Saint John the Short said, "You must first of all be humble; because this is the first commandment about which our Lord said 'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'" (Matt. 5:3)

Saint John Saba (also known as the "spiritual old man" said, "My brother, wear humility at all times; because it clothes your soul with Christ who gives it."

Saint Isaac the Syrian said:

"Love humility in all your arrangements, and you will be delivered from all the unknown snares, which always exist outside the ways of the humble."

"Do not ask to be honored while you are internally filled with wounds. Hate dignity, and you wil be dignified. Do not love it, lest you would be offended. Dignity will run away from him who runs after it; and she will go after him who knowingly runs away from it, and will recommend his humility to everybody."

"Be lowly when you are exalted, and do not be haughty when you are disdained. Humiliate yourself, and belittle your value to all people, and then you will be elevated above the chiefs in this world. Be illiterate in your wisdom, and do not feign wisdom while you are illiterate."

"O miserable man, if you want to find life, persevere in faith and humility; so that by them, you may find mercy, aid, and a voice from God in your heart; and if you want to acquire these two (faith and humility), begin by holding on being uncomplicated; and walk in front of God in simplicity and not in understanding."

Saint John Saba said: "The prophet says: 'Woe to him who is wise in his eyes. Therfore be like a slave at the hand of his master, and not like a brother beside his brothers. Be rather in the jobs which others disdain doing them, and be the last to arrange and array things. Always wear humility. and it will make you an abode of God."

He said also: "As a young man must fast and be devout, so old men should be humble and conceding; because they are always associated with suspicion and vain glory, and they need spiritual warfare more than corporal warfare." Also; "A treasure which is hidden underground, does not diminish, and there is no fear from thiefs about it; and the treasure of knowledge which is inside the heart, cannot be stolen by the thoughts of vaine glory."

Saint Ephrem said, "Just as a body needs clothing, alike in hot or cold weather, so the soul always needs the apparel of humility. Humility of mind is a spiritual property chose to walk nude and without footwear, rather than to be denuded of it; because the Lord covers those who love humility."

He also said: "When you see yourself crowned with virtues and exalted in them, at that time you need humility of mind the more, in order to lay sound foundations for your knowledge, and the building would stand firm and unshaken. Do not exalt the condition of your soul; because a severe trial may happen to you, and then those who think well of you, would be reprimanded. Love humility because it is an indestructible hedge in front of the enemy, and a rock of offense which breaks the stratagems of Satan."

Saint Macarius the Great said: "Fasting without prayer and humility, is like an eagle with broken wings."

Saint Isaac said: "If you walk well in the deeds of virtue, and do not feel the taste of its assistance, then do not be astonished from that; because if man does not humble himself, he will not receive the reward of his deeds. The reward is not given for the action, but for humility; and he who has lost humility, has lost his pain and his action."

He also said: "If you pass by all the dwellings of virtue, you will encounter no rest from your pain, and no delivery from the schemes of your enemies, until you arrive to the dwelling of humility."

Saint Anthony said, "If we forget our sins, God will remind them to us; and if we remenber our sins, God will forget them for us."

Beware of forgetting your sins, lest you become self-satisfied and have thoughts about yourself, or become just in your eyes.

If dignity and self-justice combat you, say to yourself: "I do not deserve anything because of my sins; and if God, because of the greatness of his love and mercy, has covered my sins from people, yet I know them well and I do not forget them, lest I become vainly proud."

Saint Isidore said, "The honor of humility is great. The fall of the proud is very horrible. I advise you to keep humility, so that you would never fall."

Saint Augustine said: "Humiliate yourself to the humble God, so that you would be exalted in your glorious God."

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:29:31 PM »

EA,  Thank you for posting these enlightened words!!!  True humility is a difficult thing indeed.  God bless you,

Juliana
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:07:30 AM »

Shlomo
Very interesting
Thanks for posting it

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:04:14 AM »

I like the article...

But I have to say, that my first reaction when seeing the title of the thread on the main page was "why is he accusing Pope Shenouda III of false humility?"

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:57:41 PM »

Christ is Among Us!

Thank you for posting this sermon by Pope Shenouda, it was very edifying. I was curious though, why is he referring to post-Chalcedonian EO saints as saints. Is it for the rules of this forum or is that a general practice in the OO Church?
  I am asking out of curiousity and not trying to start an argument or anything.

In Christ,
Rd. David
SaintShenouti

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »

H.H. Papa Abba Shenouda III, he is our beloved father.  May the Lord preserve his life for many years and peaceful times!
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 12:45:41 AM »

Hey David,

I can’t find where His Holiness has referred to post-Chalcedonian EO saints as Saints. All his references seem to be made exclusively to pre-Chalcedonian Saints; maybe they just bear the same names as the post-Chalcedonian EO Saints that you have in mind?

Mind you, I have seen post-Chalcedonian EO Saints referred to as Saints in my Church - not specifically by His Holiness though. His Grace Bishop Daniel for example, referred to Fr. John the Damascene as "St John of Damascus", in his work titled The Spirituality of Icons. This is not to say that Fr. John of Damascus is a canonised Saint however; i really don't know what the "rules" are on applying such a title to those who are not only not canonised as Saints, but even outside the canonical bounds of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Fr. John of Damascus is nonetheless highly regarded by our Church in terms of his theological proficiency with respect to inconology - seeing as our Church never faced such a fierce iconoclast opposition, it never really had the need to develop such a sophisticated theological and philsophical response as that provided by Fr. John of Damascus.

P.S. I adopt the designation "Fr." to qualify John of Damascus, in following Coptic Theologian Fr. Tadors Malaty.

+Irini nem makarismos
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:02:03 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SaintShenouti

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »

Was it not true that Fr. John of Damascus had harsh words for the Egyptians on Chalcedon? 
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »

CHRIST IS AMONG US!

Thank you for answering my post on the Pope's sermon. Reading it I thought he was referring to post-Chalcedonian EO's as saints but I was operating from memory and may have got it wrong- I'll check later when I have more time. I also noticed in the Hymn at the bottom of your post: is Origen considered a saint by the OO Church? If so then I guess the Origenist controversies were mainly an EO experience and the same problem never surfaced with the non-Chalcedonians?
   Also, would it be better posting these questions on the Faith folder instead of here?
In Christ,
Rd. David

Beavis
invertebrateischristian

Smooth sounds from Squidworth's clarinet....

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »

DavidH: Origen is generally considered a heretic by the OO church as well.  Universalism, for example, was officiallly condemned by the Coptic synod.  In fact, it would be safe to say that Origen is more despised by the OO church than he is by the EO church.

"Every entity is what it loves"----Vladimir Solovyov
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:44:40 PM »

I also noticed in the Hymn at the bottom of your post: is Origen considered a saint by the OO Church? If so then I guess the Origenist controversies were mainly an EO experience and the same problem never surfaced with the non-Chalcedonians?

Origen was indeed condemned for his heresies by the OO Church, however we also recognise the great things he did for the Church; thus, that origen is mentioned in the hymn in my signature is not an indication of his Sainthood, but rather a form of recognisiing him for his positive achievements.

+Irini nem makarismos

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »

Was it not true that Fr. John of Damascus had harsh words for the Egyptians on Chalcedon?ÂÂ  

This is true; obviously our Church is capable of seeing past his weaknesses and polemics.

+Irini nem ehmot

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »

In fact, it would be safe to say that Origen is more despised by the OO church than he is by the EO church.

I do not see any basis for either the use of the word "despise", nor of your comparative conclusion.

+Irini nem makarismos

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 01:16:53 AM »

Christ is Among Us!
  Yes, it is amazing that of the earliest Christian teachers the most voluminous writings we have remaining are those of the two who fell and were condemned in some way by the later Church: Origen and Tertullian. I think this speaks volumes of the high regard in which they were held despite their errors. In regard to Origen I think there was some debate as to whether the errors he was accused of were really his or the misrepresentations of later "Origenists" who interpolated his writings. I think St. Fulgentius of Ruspe argued along these lines although most of the other Fathers believed he really had held the questionable doctrines attributed to him.(while still holding his Orthodox writings in high esteem)
   In Christ,
Rd. David
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:14:22 AM »

Who's the Dydimus referenced in the hymn?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 02:24:52 AM »

Wow, that's really good.  It explained in a way that I haven't really heard before.  I feel, now more than ever, the need to become more humble.  Are there any books out there on this for Orthodox Christians?

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 03:47:53 AM »

I've also been curious about that hymn.  In the original does it say "My Coptic Church"  or is that the English translation only to ephasize that it is the Coptic Patriarchate of Alexandria, not the Greek one? 
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »

In regard to Origen I think there was some debate as to whether the errors he was accused of were really his or the misrepresentations of later "Origenists" who interpolated his writings. I think St. Fulgentius of Ruspe argued along these lines

I believe such things were even taking place during his own time, and that Origen himself complained of it. I personally do not know enough on the "origenism" controversey to make any meaningful comments on it, however, I know a fellow Orthodox Copt who is himself a staunch defender of Origen (who I believe was a great influence in this particular person's converstion from Pentecostalism to Orthodoxy); you may be interested to read his defence of Origen here.

+Irini nem makarismos
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:45:37 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 10:35:44 AM »

Who's the Dydimus referenced in the hymn?

Dydimus of Alexandria, also known as Dydimus the blind.

+Irini nem ehmot
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:36:46 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2005, 10:56:50 AM »

I've also been curious about that hymn. In the original does it say "My Coptic Church"

I’ve only heard the hymn in Arabic, and it starts off: “Kaniset el-Keptiya” (trans: “My Coptic Church”)

or is that the English translation only to emphasize that it is the Coptic Patriarchate of Alexandria, not the Greek one?

This is not a polemical hymn; there is no need to emphasize anything for a purpose of that sort. It is simply a hymn of the Coptic Church commemorating and celebrating Her history, faith and life (the term “Coptic” is being used to denote religious - not ethnic - identity). I've only heard it being chanted in Church at the feast of the Coptic New Year.

You can listen to the hymn as chanted in Arabic by a Mu’allim (the title given to a trained and experienced Coptic deacon chanter here (mp3) or here (realplayer).

Or, you can listen to the hymn as chanted in English by myself (a weak and poor chanter) here. I tried looking all over the net for an English version of it, but without success. I have seen over 5 different “versions” of the translated lyrics for the hymn however. I just chanted the one that was easiest to chant. You will find that my signature, is just a compression of various verses randomly selected from various stanzas.

Lyrics:

Stanza 1: (skipped due to technical problems)
My Coptic Church, You spread the Christian faith
In the Ethiopian country, In Nubia and Sudan
In the Western nations, In the African continent
And in European cities, You witnessed for the faith.

Chorus:
O Coptic Church of God, Persecuted but survived
We redeem you with our blood, We redeem you with our lives.

Stanza 2:
Mother of virtues; Source of sacred values;
In you we take refuge: The house of the angels
The fruit of the Spirit, Verily we feel it,
Moreover we live it, Through the prayers of the Virgin

Chorus:
O Coptic Church of God, Persecuted but survived
We redeem you with our blood, We redeem you with our lives.

Stanza 3:
The deacon Athanasius, Powerful and courageous;
In Nicaea the victorious, was named apostolic;
Sts. Clement and dydmius, Sts. Cyril and St. Dioscorus
St.Paul and St. Anthony, Your men that were so brave.

Stanza 4:
A church and a monastery, An altar and a sanctuary
Your sacraments are seven, They lead us to heaven
By powers so divine; By prayer, fast and strife
You invaded the desert; to praise God day and night.

Stanza 5:
Hosts of faithful martyrs, powerful intercessors;
Performers of miracles, Our honorable fathers;
Orthodoxy we adhere, we profess and we preserve
We declare and we plead, Our Fathers’ upright faith

+Irini nem makarismos

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:01:47 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 11:16:32 AM »

Hmmm...the above links to Muallim Reda Barsoum's chant of "My Coptic Church" don't seem to be working. If anyone would like to hear it, go to the main page here, click on the section "Spiritual Songs", scroll down to the blue subsection "Moalem Reda Barsoum", go to the last sub-subsection "Haytho Kadani Asir", go to the third column and you will find "Kaniset el Kepteya"; It can be downloaded .mp3, or streamed .ram.

+Irini nem makarismos
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:16:59 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Beavis
invertebrateischristian

Smooth sounds from Squidworth's clarinet....

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »

I do not see any basis for either the use of the word "despise", nor of your comparative conclusion.

Why u be trippin'?  Don't be hatin' just cuz Master Origen is on our team. 

"Every entity is what it loves"----Vladimir Solovyov
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 04:10:15 PM »

Thanks EA for the explanation. 
SaintShenouti

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 10:30:12 PM »

I love the avatar, EA.  Our father Pope Dioscorus was certainly a most persecuted saint in his day.
Tags: Pope Shenouda Patristic sayings Origen Coptic Orthodox Church pride humility 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: