Author Topic: Turkey’s Churches, Famous for Historic Schism, Finally Agree on Doctrine  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Turkey’s Churches, Famous for Historic Schism, Finally Agree on Doctrine

This is encouraging!
http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2018/april/turkey-churches-agree-on-doctrine-christian-book.html

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Well, that's a nice step, but more specially as for non-Christians.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Interesting... will keep an eye on it for when it gets published as an e-book :)
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
Interesting... will keep an eye on it for when it gets published as an e-book :)
i wonder how many traps and flops ill find in this book, just by reading the discription it already seem problematic.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Sorry to be a party-pooper but with Protestants included this can in no way be a concise exposition of Christianity.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
I'm curious as to how this book dealt with descriptions of Christian belief that are inaccurately described in the Qur'an and the Hadith.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
I'm curious as to how this book dealt with descriptions of Christian belief that are inaccurately described in the Qur'an and the Hadith.
Here are some quotes from page 13:

"Christianity is a monotheistic religion."

"Jesus Christ is called the "Son of God" because He is of the same substance as God. The fact that the person of jesus Christ is perfect man and perfect God is the greatest and fullest revelation of Christianity. He is more than a prophet; He is the incarnate Word of God."

"Christians believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross as a sacrifice for the sins of humankind and that through His resurrection from the dead He overcame death."

From page 75, regarding the Bible: "So, what shall we say to rumors that the Holy Bible has been altered? The most scientific response is to ask those who make the claim to prove it."

"In Turkey, unfortunately, a mostly one-sided slander campaign against the Christian Holy Bible is consciously pursued within certain circles."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

• Merarches
Just got it, and am just digging into it. Good stuff up until p.14 where it states: "Christianity accepts the principle of secularism because of its approach to separating religious and worldly affairs."

If this book is supposed to be a consensus of essential Christian theological teachings, I cannot for the life of me understand why a statement such as this is included.

I'll offer more thoughts as I get further through it.

Selam
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:18:08 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Just got it, and am just digging into it. Good stuff up until p.14 where it states: "Christianity accepts the principle of secularism because of its approach to separating religious and worldly affairs."

If this book is supposed to be a consensus of essential Christian theological teachings, I cannot for the life of me understand why a statement such as this is included.

Selam

As opposed to what? Reviving the Byzantine Empire or bringing back the Spanish Inquisition? That wouldn't exactly be good for your desire to live as a pacifist (especially in a country where Orthodoxy doesn't get to be the State Church or where OOs are not tolerated as being the same as EOs).

Secularism is not a good in itself, just the only practical alternative to rehashing the Thirty Years's War every time two or more different religions in the same place end up with guns and money.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:17:01 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

• Merarches

Selam

As opposed to what? Reviving the Byzantine Empire or bringing back the Spanish Inquisition? That wouldn't exactly be good for your desire to live as a pacifist (especially in a country where Orthodoxy doesn't get to be the State Church or where OOs are not tolerated as being the same as EOs).

Secularism is not a good in itself, just the only practical alternative to rehashing the Thirty Years's War every time two or more different religions in the same place end up with guns and money.

Well, I don't think secularism is peaceful. Secular states seem to be just as violent as theocratic states, if not more so. I think it would have been better to leave political statements like this out of it. This book is supposed to be a summarization of what all true Christians hold in common. It's certainly not true that all Christians affirm secularism, and it's certainly not true that all Christians believe in separating the Gospel from worldly affairs.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless

Selam

Well, I don't think secularism is peaceful. Secular states seem to be just as violent as theocratic states, if not more so. I think it would have been better to leave political statements like this out of it. This book is supposed to be a summarization of what all true Christians hold in common. It's certainly not true that all Christians affirm secularism, and it's certainly not true that all Christians believe in separating the Gospel from worldly affairs.

Selam

I didn't say it was peaceful, just that religious violence is one of the only kinds that it's possible for a government to more or less ameliorate.

I'd say it was more poorly worded than uncalled for (especially in Turkey in the age of ISIS). Instead of "separation from worldy affairs," it should have said "separation of church and state" or something like that. It's not about religious ethics having no influence on policy so much as it is the state not "championing the Word of the God with a fist" as the Mennonites put it. Then again, that could be a problem of the translation to English.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Secularism and theocracy aren't two sole options. There are peaceful and confessional states nowadays like Argentina and Greece, religion doesn't have such a role there as in other confessional countries (specially in Argentina), but this changes the general framework of, say, which arguments are valid in legal debates. We even have at least one example of a multiconfessional state nowadays (Lebanon).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth