Author Topic: Looking for the text of a Divine Office  (Read 522 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Looking for the text of a Divine Office
« on: March 17, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
According to Mystagogy, the Monk Gerasimos Mikragiannanites composed a Divine Office in honor of St. Porphyrios the Mime of Ephesus.

The fact that I wasn't able to find it on Google tells me that it's likely unpublished or untranslated. Can anybody help me out?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:47:24 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: Looking for the text of a Divine Office
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »
It is almost certainly untranslated. I could not find the text in Greek online, but I did find it cited in a bibliography, so it is published in Greek by someone.
How has Antonis not become an Old Calendarist yet?
I thought he had, a few posts ago.

"I hate the poor." --Mor Ephrem

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
By divine office do they mean a canon?
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
It is almost certainly untranslated. I could not find the text in Greek online, but I did find it cited in a bibliography, so it is published in Greek by someone.

Alright. Well, thanks for trying.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
By divine office do they mean a canon?
I imagine Sanidopoulos is translating it from the Greek ακολουθία, or "service," which would include a canon and all the other components needed to celebrate a day's cycle of services for a saint. These are contained in the menaion, but unless two very serious feasts happen to fall on the same day, the book is only likely to have the text for the seniormost feast of the day. Occasionally I have seen alternates included as appendices.

In this case there probably wasn't an extant service for this St. Porphyrios, so Monk Gerasimos of Little St. Anna's (of recently blessed memory) wrote one. If someone wanted to commemorate St. Porphyrios prior to this, they would probably have just used the general service for a male martyr with Porphyrios' name inserted.

Alright. Well, thanks for trying.
You bet. Sorry it didn't work out.
How has Antonis not become an Old Calendarist yet?
I thought he had, a few posts ago.

"I hate the poor." --Mor Ephrem

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »
S'alright :)

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:51:30 AM »
According to Mystagogy, the Monk Gerasimos Mikragiannanites composed a Divine Office in honor of St. Porphyrios the Mime of Ephesus.

The fact that I wasn't able to find it on Google tells me that it's likely unpublished or untranslated. Can anybody help me out?

I have to ask.... "Mime" of ephesus? What is a mime?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:48 AM »

I have to ask.... "Mime" of ephesus? What is a mime?

In the context of the times it was a comedic actor who specialized in mocking imitations of things. The sense of "performer who acts things out without speaking" is from later centuries, but the evolutionary path is pretty clear.

The story goes that he was part of a theater troop hired by the pagan Emperor Aurelian to make fun of the Christian services. But in the process of mocking baptism he was miraculously regenerated by God and then martyred when he refused to recant and finish the show.

"Porphyrios was adorned by the sword, Brightly adorned by the purple of blood." The name "Prophyrios" means "purple" and purple was a royal color, you see.

Though the Porphyrios that I have more of a personal devotion to is actually St. Porphyrios the Mime of Ceasarea (accident of which one I came across first, I suppose), who has a nearly identical story that took place under Julian the Apostate a century later. My guess is that it's really the same man, but the Church has decided to venerate them separately so I will too. I asked about the Mime of Ephesus, since that was the one that Sandiopoulos mentioned as having a service written for him.

"Persuaded to mock baptism, you mock error. Being cleansed, Porphyrios, and beheaded by the sword."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:30:05 AM by Volnutt »

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
Wow. Very interesting story!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
Oh, I read about it in the Prologue, such a beautiful history. Reminds me of St. Augustine's claim that sometimes God avenges sins by provoking repentance.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 05:39:58 AM »
I'm afraid it isn't available or free even in Greek, the Centre of Hagiology, Holy Metropolis of Thessaloniki, can send you a copy of the Greek text, but it requires in advance, a signed by you solemn declaration that you'll use it for free and won't sell it (obviously there have been instances of some people who used their title for profiteering and are extremely cautious).
Bear in mind that this solemn declaration is taken very serious, it takes the place of a statement under oath and if someone violates it, it results in severe consequences (Greek Penal Code Law 1599 of 1986)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:40:20 AM by Apostolos »
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.