Author Topic: How does the election of Eastern Catholic bishops work?  (Read 554 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
How does the election of Eastern Catholic bishops work?
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:09 AM »
What are the roles of the synod, the primate and the Pope? What about primatial elections?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:25:37 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: How does the election of Eastern Catholic bishops work?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
I know something only about the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church: the Synod chooses a few candidates for new bishop(s), and I think that for eparchies in Ukraine there can be chosen only one candidate. Then these candidates are presented to the Pope and he chooses new bishop(s). The synod consists of all (not only of e.g metropolitans) bishops of the UGCC.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:07:46 PM »
As I understand it, the synod of the relevant Church draws up a name of candidates, and submits this to Rome. If the Pope removes a name, they are out of contention. If the synod then elects someone on the list, nothing else is required. If someone not on the list is elected, this must be approved by Rome.

This refers only to bishops in the particular Eastern Catholic Church's historic territory; for those outside of that territory, all bishops are appointed by Rome.

Just like the ancient Church always did it! :P
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »
As I understand it, the synod of the relevant Church draws up a name of candidates, and submits this to Rome. If the Pope removes a name, they are out of contention. If the synod then elects someone on the list, nothing else is required. If someone not on the list is elected, this must be approved by Rome.

This refers only to bishops in the particular Eastern Catholic Church's historic territory; for those outside of that territory, all bishops are appointed by Rome.

Evidence? Because, as I seem to recall, Meletius, who became the recognized bishop of Antioch, was not at all appointed by Rome, and in fact, Rome opposed it and supported Paulinus... despite Meletius being a presiding bishop of the 2nd Ecumenical Council. Yet he was the recognized bishop of Antioch.

Nobody in the East recognized the Maronites, who were appointed by Rome as well to be the Patriarch of Antioch. So unrecognized that now you guys have three claimants to the See of Antioch.

And if you really mean "the Ancient Church," Photios wasn't approved by Rome.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:18:41 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
He was being sarcastic with that last line.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »

Ah. It's hard to tell at points.
I'm done.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »

So how would the election to primacy work, OTOH?

;)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »

Ah. It's hard to tell at points.

The emoticon that's used in the end of the sentence should be hepful ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
Probably the last thing I wanted to read about.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.