OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melito of Sardis Info?  (Read 655 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: October 10, 2005, 09:10:56 PM »

I have an inquiry from a non-Orthodox friend who is completing an article on Melito of Sardis' sermon "Peri Pascha", but she is having a problem gaining access to Orthodox sources about this particular sermon.

Can anyone here guide her to some good sources on this topic?

Thanks!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 11:12:02 PM »

Is she reading the edition published by SVS?  That's what I'm reading this week. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:24:27 PM »

Well I had the opprotuity to contact tis researcher, inquiring about her translation as well as what themese or topics she was particularly interested in.

She is basically translating directly from the Greek, using the 1979 publishing by Stuart George Hall of Oxford University Press. While this version has an English translation in the text, she will be basically ignoring this to translate and conduct her studies based on her knowledge of the Patristic Greek.

I asked her specifically about her interests in this project, and here is an excerpt of her replay:

I am also interested in it since it came out of the Eastern milieu, not the Latin tradition.  It was written only a little later than the Johannine documents; and I am interested in the Eastern theological tradition (in preference to the more legalistic Latin theology).

I am familiar with the work of Alistair Stewart-Sykes, who has done the majority of the work on Peri Pascha up to this point.

I would like to know what Orthodox scholars say about the text -- if anything.  I will probably investigate the imagery that he uses.  It is vivid and beautifully used for rhetorical effect.  I may, however, look at the technical use of the word "mysterion" (mystery), as it recurs throughout the document and is clearly used for a reason.  I'm open on that point.

I'll help her on the 'use of the word "mysterion"...' (she's Orthodox-friendly, but such a Westerner  Roll Eyes)  and certainly any other help would be of interest to her.

Thanks!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: