OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the new members  (Read 1899 times) Average Rating: 0
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« on: October 10, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »

I have noticed that there has been quite a few new people who've joined this forum..I wanted to welcome all of them and say hello.  I hope that you enjoy your stay here and that you find yourself welcome and 'comfortable'.  If you have not made a post yet, maybe you could say hello and just introduce yourself.  We won't bite Smiley  no need to be shy or feel shy or even worry that we'll be nasty or mean if you say something you think might come accross as sounding stupid.  I've always heard there's no such thing as a stupid question. I think that't true too Smiley so once again, welcome to all those who've recently joined! It's nice to see new faces here Smiley

In Christ,
the sinner,
Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Vasili Kosta
New Guy

St. Vasilios the Great, Archbishop of Caesarea

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »

I just joined last night.
Hello!

New here. I was looking around for an Orthodox Message Board. Oddly, this one never came up on any search at all, not even in the first five pages. Google, Verizon Online, AOL, Yahoo or MSN. None of these had this page listed in the search "Orthodox Message Board". But I found this place by following my nose through a number of links, and eventually found it in Wikipedia under communities. So here I am!

VK
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »

Funny thing is we were #1 when you typed in Orthodox Christian Message Board about a year ago.  Now we are not on the list anywhere close anymore lol.  But put it in quotation marks and we are still no. 1.  Go figure. Will have to look into that.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Vasili Kosta
New Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »

Anastasios,
The first thing you get on Google is this site.
WHen I tried it in quotations I got The Alien Orthodox Message Board which I have no idea what that means! Alien Orthodoxy? Proper Aliens? In Space? Anyways, It just took me a bit to find this place, and I already love it.

(edit: I put a link to the Alien Message Board. It was a board for fans of the band GWAR, which is not appropriate for this site)

VK
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 05:04:18 PM by Vasili Kosta » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:55:17 PM »

Lol! Too funnyÂÂ  Grin I had a friend who used to listen to Gwar (and slayer and morbid angel and whatnot). I always stuck more with tamer thrash. Anyway, getting off topic here. Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:56:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Vasili Kosta
New Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »

Asteriktos,
Thank you for the warm welcome!

VK
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »

Funny thing is we were #1 when you typed in Orthodox Christian Message Board about a year ago.  Now we are not on the list anywhere close anymore lol.  But put it in quotation marks and we are still no. 1.  Go figure. Will have to look into that.

Anastasios

I'm not sure how Google is set up with their search algorythm but a quick look at OC.net's  main forum page's code shows our "Meta tag keywords" need some work. That should help.

And...Welcome to our new members!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:28:58 PM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Eremitike

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »

Thanks so much for the welcome, Mary.

By way of introduction, I am a priest in the Antiochian Archdiocese, one of the group of "Evangelical Orthodox" who came into the Church in 1987. I am presently attached to a moderately-sized parish in Southern California.

My experience on internet forums has previously been limited to a few Protestant sites, most which can be a hot place for an Orthodox Christian. Though I was once an Evangelical Protestant myself, I am continually amazed at the hostile and closed-minded attitudes of many posters on such forums. After one or two posts, I soon find myself accused of being a "catholic idol-worshipper" or worse (if that's possible). The ignorance and hatred of historic Christianity and the unwillingness to learn is simply stunning to me. Nevertheless, a few people I've met in those forums have eventually expressed an interest in reading Orthodox materials, so that is a good thing I hope.

It's a pleasant change to find a forum like this. I hope to find the time to visit it more frequently.

Michael
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 01:32:13 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Fr. Michael. Smiley

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Vasili Kosta
New Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 02:17:05 AM »

Thanks so much for the welcome, Mary.

By way of introduction, I am a priest in the Antiochian Archdiocese, one of the group of "Evangelical Orthodox" who came into the Church in 1987. I am presently attached to a moderately-sized parish in Southern California.

My experience on internet forums has previously been limited to a few Protestant sites, most which can be a hot place for an Orthodox Christian. Though I was once an Evangelical Protestant myself, I am continually amazed at the hostile and closed-minded attitudes of many posters on such forums. After one or two posts, I soon find myself accused of being a "catholic idol-worshipper" or worse (if that's possible). The ignorance and hatred of historic Christianity and the unwillingness to learn is simply stunning to me. Nevertheless, a few people I've met in those forums have eventually expressed an interest in reading Orthodox materials, so that is a good thing I hope.

It's a pleasant change to find a forum like this. I hope to find the time to visit it more frequently.

Michael

Father Michael,
Are you from the old Foursquare Church Converts from the San Dimas, Glendora, LaVerne complete congregation converts? I cant remember right now(very tired and skimming tonight while checking email before I go to bed) where the location was, but it made Foursquare news. I was in the Foursquare Church at the time and it was voodoo to mention aything about the loss of yet another complete congregation to something non-charismatic and pentecostal(tongue speaking "spirit-filled"). If so, I would like to ask some questions if you could please. I am a recent convert, well I am a Catechumen and I was a member of Foursquare for many, many moons. So I would like to ask you some questions regarding some issues which you may be able to help me with, considering you are familiar with the same terminology I am.

VK
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:42 AM »

Just so you know, Vasili, If you want to ask some questions that you feel might not be appropriate or that might embarrass you if asked publicly on this thread, you can click on the little computer monitor under the stars under his name (next to offline/online) and send him a Private Message (PM).

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Eremitike

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:38:05 PM »

Sorry Vasili, I am not from that group.

Michael
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 02:47:48 PM »

You're welcome Father Michael Smiley  Hope you enjoy your stay here.  Always nice to see new people joining the forum. Smiley 

In Christ,
the sinner,
Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 05:23:21 PM »

Greetings!

Those of you who post on CF (ChristianForums) may remember me as Bizzlebin Imperatoris. I am finally able to get back on the net and post again. God willing, I will be able to participate even moreso in a few months.

Many years!

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 03:41:02 AM »

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have a question, mainly aimed at the clergy types (if there are any hereÂÂ  Embarrassed), but anyone can I answer it I suppose. What do you feel about Orthodox Visual Chat? It is similar to a forum, but the talking is instantaneous, and it is in "rooms" with backgrounds. I'm not sure if doing that is going too far or what. Any input would be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 04:26:54 AM by Meekle » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: