Author Topic: OCMC & Domestic Evangelization?  (Read 451 times)

Offline Mercurius1

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
OCMC & Domestic Evangelization?
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
I love he work that the OCMC is doing around the world, truly amazing things. But, why do they not do domestic mission work here in the States? They are an organization that is sponsored by SCOBA, yet, they don’t do much here in America. We have the individual Orthodox jurisdictions doing their own thing, but it doesn’t seem like we have any missionary effort with all of the jurisdictions combined. Why is this?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: OCMC & Domestic Evangelization?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
From their perspective, perhaps since there are already 800,000 potential Orthodox evangelists in the U.S., and the churches here have departments of evangelism, teaching their faithful, etc., they focus on evangelizing places with little-to-no Orthodox presence. I don't mean this to sound glib, but it could be seen as just being practical (especially for an org with very limited resources). This is just a guess though...

Offline Mercurius1

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
From their perspective, perhaps since there are already 800,000 potential Orthodox evangelists in the U.S., and the churches here have departments of evangelism, teaching their faithful, etc., they focus on evangelizing places with little-to-no Orthodox presence. I don't mean this to sound glib, but it could be seen as just being practical (especially for an org with very limited resources). This is just a guess though...

I hear ya. Then it seems the 800,000 of us aren’t doing a very good job. Also, where does 800,000 come from? Is that all there is in the U.S Orthodox-wise?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
It seems to me that the usual approach in the US- and I find it hard to argue with- is that the best way to evangelize people in a society where nominal Christianity is mainstream and/or hegemonic, is to hang back and invite people in without getting in their faces. Build healthy, welcoming parishes and let people know you're there. That's the theory, anyway.

A joint missionary organization in the US would also have to decide which jurisdiction new parishes come under. Can you imagine that being decided amicably?
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
A joint missionary organization in the US would also have to decide which jurisdiction new parishes come under. Can you imagine that being decided amicably?

It could just be based on proximity to the nearest bishop.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
I suggest holy rock-paper-scissors.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth