Author Topic: Modern Greek Resources  (Read 484 times)

Offline ContraMundum

• Amor quaerens intellectum
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Modern Greek Resources
« on: March 06, 2018, 08:21:22 PM »
What are the best resources for learning Modern Greek? I am hoping particularly from advice from someone that has successfully learned the language. I've studied other languages (including Ancient Greek), and so I am not necessarily an amateur. I'm just finding the resources rather skimp. Right now I plan on working on an older copy of Teach Yourself for the grammar, and I'll be working on Cortina for reading and audio. After that, I may work on the Modern Greek Assimil and some of the podcasts put out by the Hellenic-American Union.

Unfortunately, the audio is somewhat slow on the Cortina, so picking up the natural cadence of the language will be somewhat difficult. Does anyone know of good beginner to intermediate readers with accompanying audio by a native speaker?

Thanks.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: Modern Greek Resources
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
Hi ContraMundum,

I highly recommend Complete Greek from Language Transfer:
https://www.languagetransfer.org/

It is free, and the method used is excellent. He explains it in the first track and will do a better job than I could.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
This website is very complete and didactic, although in some times it may throw too much info at once.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
What are the best resources for learning Modern Greek?

Old people.

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
I've been using "living language" for Greek. Fifty bucks for beginner to advanced. Books and cds. Live tutoring will end in July but I have lots of yaiyas  to help. It's gotten me through small talk at church and has helped a great deal with reading. I'm only in book one of three but already I feel more connected to my surroundings.