Author Topic: Evangelists of the Church  (Read 1955 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Evangelists of the Church
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
A thread for describing people who do some kind of overt evangelistic outreach, though not necessarily always "missionaries" who travel to foreign lands. Feel free to add some info!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Evangelists of the Church
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
St. Gregory the Wonder-worker (213-270) was born in Pontus (N. Turkey) and in his younger days traveled around the Near East and became a student of Origen. He eventually returned to Pontus and became bishop of Neocaesarea, where he wrote, performed miracles (including healings and foreseeing the future), and despite persecutions converted many of the people to Christianity. This served as an important foundation in the next century when the area became an orthodox stronghold against Arianism and other heresies.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »
Thanks for posting. My brother was born on his feast day, and named after him.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
St. Innocent of Alaska

Saint Innocent (Veniaminov), Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomensk (August 26, 1797—March 31, 1879), was glorified by the Russian Orthodox Church on October 6, 1977. He was born in the village of Anginsk in the Irkutsk diocese. The Apostle of America and Siberia proclaimed the Gospel “even to the ends of the earth”: in the Aleutian islands (from 1823), in the six dialects of the local tribes on the island of Sitka (from 1834), among the Kolosh (Tlingit); in the remotest settlements of the extensive Kamchatka diocese (from 1853); among the Koryak, Chukchei, Tungus in the Yakutsk region (from 1853) and North America (in 1857); in the Amur and the Usuriisk region (from 1860).

Having spent a large part of his life in journeys, Saint Innocent translated a Catechism and the Gospel into the Aleut language. In 1833, he wrote in this language one of the finest works of Orthodox missionary activity INDICATION OF THE WAY TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

In 1859, the Yakut first heard the Word of God and divine services in their native language. Twice (in 1860 and 1861) Saint Innocent met with Saint Nicholas the Apostle to Japan (February 3), sharing with him his spiritual experience.

A remarkable preacher, Saint Innocent said, “Whoever abounds in faith and love, can have mouth and wisdom, and the heart cannot resist their serving it.”

Lots of links about him.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:21:14 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
Saint Nicolas Planas was born of devout parents in 1851, on the island of Naxos. (...) Becoming a widower after several years, he entrusted his son to his parents and, having given the whole family inheritance to a fellow-countryman who was crippled by debt, was able thenceforward to consecrate himself entirely to the Lord’s service and, in the middle of Athens, lead the life of the desert ascetics. Ordained priest in 1884, he was soon driven out of the Church of Saint Panteleimon, to which he had been attached, and settled in a small church called St John the Hunter: a parish comprising only eight families, from which he received scarcely any stipend.

Humble and lacking any education, Father Nicolas nevertheless became the most popular priest in Athens. For fifty-two years, he celebrated the Divine Liturgy every day in various of the city’s churches, and most often in half-ruined country chapels. (...)During the Proskomedia he spent two or three hours commemorating the names of the living and the dead written on thousands of tiny pieces of paper that he had carefully put into bundles and carried everywhere with him. In fact, when anyone gave him names for commemoration with a donation, however small, he remembered them year after year.

When he went along a road, walking slowly and with difficulty because of his endless standing in church, children went with him, women crossed themselves and men removed their hats and stood respectfully aside to give him room to pass. Taxi drivers squabbled about who should take him, certain that it would be a good day for takings. (…)

He gave his soul into God’s hands after a short illness on 2 March 1932, with a smile on his lips, a crowd beyond counting came to venerate his mortal remains for three whole days.

Source and the rest of the text

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
St. John of Zedazeni and his twelve disciples, 6th century monastics who worked in Georgia:

Taking with him several of his disciples, he chose a remote area, fashioned for himself a cell, and began to labor as a hermit. Once the Most Holy Theotokos appeared to Saint John and told him, “Take twelve monks and go with them to Georgia, the nation enlightened by the Equal-to-the-Apostles Nino, and strengthen the Christian soul of its people.” Saint John related the vision to his disciples, and after much fasting and prayer he chose twelve of them: Abibus, Anthony, David, Zenon, Thaddeus, Isidore, Joseph, Jesse, Michael, Pyrrhus, Stephen, and Shio. He left his remaining disciples in the wilderness in the care of the abbot, the blessed elder Euthymius, and set off for Georgia with the twelve he had chosen.

By divine revelation the Georgian king Parsman and Catholicos Evlavios received the good news that the venerable fathers were in Mesopotamia, on their way to Georgia, and they hurried to greet them with the proper honors. King Parsman and Catholicos Evlavios met the holy fathers as they were approaching Mtskheta. The holy fathers venerated the myrrh-streaming wood of the Living Pillar and the Robe of Christ at Svetitskhoveli Cathedral. From there Saint John and his disciples traveled throughout Georgia, visiting its many holy sites. With the blessing of Catholicos Evlavios, Saint John and his disciples settled on Zedazeni Mountain, where a pagan temple to the idol Zadeni had previously stood. The monks lived in wretched cells, eating only plants and praying ceaselessly.

Having heard of the spiritual endeavors of Saint John and his disciples, Christian believers began to flock to Zedazeni Mountain. Many burned with longing for the monastic life, and some abandoned the world to join the holy fathers at Zedazeni. In such a way, Zedazeni Mountain was transformed into an abode of hermits. One night the Most Holy Theotokos appeared again to Saint John and instructed him to send his disciples throughout the country to preach the Word of God. In the morning, having related the vision to his disciples, Saint John advised them: “Our Lord Jesus Christ sent us to perform good deeds for this country and its people, for they are newly planted seeds in the Christian Faith. Therefore, let us go forth, each in his own direction, to preach the Word of God!”

.... . .

-- Source

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
St. David (d. 589), monk and eventual Archbishop of Wales, traveled throughout parts of modern-day England and France, evangelizing and establishing parishes and monasteries.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
St. David (d. 589), monk and eventual Archbishop of Wales, traveled throughout parts of modern-day England and France, evangelizing and establishing parishes and monasteries.

I always kind of liked this.

From wikipedia,
His best-known miracle is said to have taken place when he was preaching in the middle of a large crowd at the Synod of Brefi: the village of Llanddewi Brefi stands on the spot where the ground on which he stood is reputed to have risen up to form a small hill. A white dove, which became his emblem, was seen settling on his shoulder. John Davies notes that one can scarcely "conceive of any miracle more superfluous" in that part of Wales than the creation of a new hill.

St. David was also a big preacher against Pelagianism before it spread to the rest of Europe.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
St. Tikhon of Moscow (d. 1925)

...On September 14, 1898, Bishop Tikhon was made Bishop of the Aleutians and Alaska. As head of the Orthodox Church in America, Bishop Tikhon was a zealous laborer in the Lord’s vineyard.

He did much to promote the spread of Orthodoxy, and to improve his vast diocese. He reorganized the diocesan structure, and changed its name from “Diocese of the Aleutians and Alaska” to “Diocese of the Aleutians and North America” in 1900. Both clergy and laity loved their archpastor, and held him in such esteem that the Americans made Archbishop Tikhon an honorary citizen of the United States.

On May 22, 1901, he blessed the cornerstone for Saint Nicholas Cathedral in New York, and was also involved in establishing other churches. On November 9, 1902, he consecrated the church of Saint Nicholas in Brooklyn for the Syrian Orthodox immigrants. Two weeks later, he consecrated Saint Nicholas Cathedral in NY.

In 1905, the American Mission was made an Archdiocese, and Saint Tikhon was elevated to the rank of Archbishop. He had two vicar bishops: Bishop Innocent (Pustynsky) in Alaska, and Saint Raphael (Hawaweeny) in Brooklyn to assist him in administering his large, ethnically diverse diocese. In June of 1905, Saint Tikhon gave his blessing for the establishment of Saint Tikhon’s Monastery.

In 1907, he returned to Russia, and was appointed to Yaroslavl, where he quickly won the affection of his flock. They came to love him as a friendly, communicative, and wise archpastor. He spoke simply to his subordinates, never resorting to a peremptory or overbearing tone. When he had to reprimand someone, he did so in a good-natured, sometimes joking manner, which encouraged the person to correct his mistakes.

When Saint Tikhon was transferred to Lithuania on December 22, 1913, the people of Yaroslavl voted him an honorary citizen of their town. After his transfer to Vilna, he did much in terms of material support for various charitable institutions. There too, his generous soul and love of people clearly manifested themselves. World War I broke out when His Eminence was in Vilna. He spared no effort to help the poor residents of the Vilna region who were left without a roof over their heads or means of subsistence as a result of the war with the Germans, and who flocked to their archpastor in droves...

-- Source

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Saints Cyril (d. 869) and Methodius (d. 885), born in Thessalonica, missionaries to Iraq, Russia, Moravia, Hungary, and various other places; at times monastics, priests, bishop(s), educators, translators, evangelists and miracle-workers.

Life of  Constantine (aka Cyril)
Equal to Apostles: St. Cyril and Methodius, Teachers of Slavs

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
On a smaller scale, the Archpriest Boniface Black of blessed memory:
Fr. Boniface was active in mission work for the Diocese of Charleston, Oakland, and the Mid-Atlantic (formerly the Eastern Region), serving as Missions Coordinator for many years. He helped start seven congregations in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland. Under his guidance over the years, seven men were ordained into the Orthodox priesthood, and he was a treasured mentor to many.
https://www.st-philip.net/frboniface.html
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
St. Stephen of Perm (d. 1396), monk, copyist, bishop, missionary in the interior of Russia, and creator of the Old Permic alphabet based on Cyrillic, Greek, and native Komi (based on wiki and orthodoxwiki). St. Stephen is apparently recognized as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church as well.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
St. Stephen of Perm (d. 1396), monk, copyist, bishop, missionary in the interior of Russia, and creator of the Old Permic alphabet based on Cyrillic, Greek, and native Komi (based on wiki and orthodoxwiki).
I'm pretty sure I read about him in some mainstream Orthodox book (mentioning that because you mentioned reading about him from Wikis).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:11:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »
St. Lazarus (d. 1391), lived on Kizhi island in Northern Russia and built a church there. A monastery grew up around this Church and “it was reputed to miraculously cure illnesses” (wiki). Later a museum was created, housing thousands of photos, manuscripts, icons, and objects of cultural/archaeological significance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
St. Stephen of Perm (d. 1396), monk, copyist, bishop, missionary in the interior of Russia, and creator of the Old Permic alphabet based on Cyrillic, Greek, and native Komi (based on wiki and orthodoxwiki).
I'm pretty sure I read about him in some mainstream Orthodox book (mentioning that because you mentioned reading about him from Wikis).

I'd love to find a book some day that looks at cases of saints shared between east and west after the Photian schism, and what the individual opinions of churchmen have been.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »
Saint Patrick was a fifth-century Romano-British Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland... He writes that he "baptised thousands of people". He ordained priests to lead the new Christian communities. He converted wealthy women, some of whom became nuns in the face of family opposition. He also dealt with the sons of kings, converting them too. The Confessio is generally vague about the details of his work in Ireland, though giving some specific instances. This is partly because, as he says at points, he was writing for a local audience of Christians who knew him and his work. There are several mentions of travelling around the island, and of sometimes difficult interactions with the ruling elite... Patrick's position as a foreigner in Ireland was not an easy one. His refusal to accept gifts from kings placed him outside the normal ties of kinship, fosterage and affinity. Legally he was without protection, and he says that he was on one occasion beaten, robbed of all he had, and put in chains, perhaps awaiting execution. Patrick says that he was also "many years later" a captive for 60 days, without giving details.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
Yesterday was the anniversaries of the separate martyrdoms of Sts. Peter the Aleut and Juvenaly (and his unnamed Native guide). I can't believe I missed posting about it!

Quote from: Troparia and Kontakia
Today Alaska rejoices and America celebrates / for the New World has been sanctified by martyrdom. / Kodiak echoes with songs of thanksgiving, / Iliamna and Kenai observe the Festival of Faith. / The apostle and martyr Juvenaly is glorified / and Peter the Aleut is exalted by his voluntary sacrifice. / In their devotion and love for the Lord / they willingly endured persecution and death for the Truth. / Now in the Kingdom of Heaven they intercede for our souls.

Today Valaam joins Alaska in celebrating this joyous feast, / as her spiritual son Juvenaly embraces the New Martyr Peter with love. / Together they suffered for the Lord in America / and united the Old World with the New by their voluntary sacrifice. / Now forever they stand before the King of Glory and intercede for our souls.

A video about Sts. Juvenaly and his guide.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
Metropolitan Gabriel of Lisbon, of blessed memory, was a true man of God, greatly contributing for making Orthodox Christianity Portugal's second largest religion from his ordination in the 70's to his repose in the late 90's and stablishing vibrant Orthodox missions in Brazil, Spain and Italy. I'm unaware of what happened to the Spanish and Italian part of his endeavours, but much unfortunately, the Portuguese side entered into schism... Still a beautiful church, I hope and believe that they will rejoin the wider communion again. His canonical fruits still survive in native Brazilian Orthodox Christianity, which though small, is full of piety and love and dissociated from foreign cultural bounds, with both converts and cradles (sons, grandsons, even great-grandsons of converts) growing in the faith.

In this picture, he meets Dom Hélder Câmara, Brazilian RC bishop and major personality.

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth