Author Topic: Good animated short of the day  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Good animated short of the day
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
This thread is going to be what I thought the "Animations of the Day" thread was until I actually clicked on it lol.

Animation is an art form, so let's find the best of the best and collate the links to them all in one place (and so they don't just get lost in the shuffle of the Video of the Day thread)!

Where possible, please try to link to each film's official upload and provide year, director(s), producer(s), and production company; country of origin, and medium.

As per my idiom, many of the ones that I link will be kind of dark or disturbing, in the sense of your lighter horror movies or maybe Tim Burton's stuff. So, content warning for the squeamish.

Others will post to their particular tastes, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What better way to start than with the video that probably most made me want to do this thread in the first place? Opus118 and I have talked about it on these boards before:

Madame Tutli-Putli (2007) Directors: Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski, Canada: Clyde Henry Productions. Marcy Page, producer. Stop-motion puppetry. https://www.nfb.ca/film/madame_tutli_putli_en/

From wikipedia:

The filmmakers researched the film by traveling on The Canadian, north of Lake Superior, living on the train for two weeks, collecting stories. The stop motion animation took them more than five years. Critics lauded the film for its groundbreaking stop-motion animation techniques. Portrait artist Jason Walker created the technique of adding composited human eyes to the stop motion puppets. For the lead character, actress Laurie Maher was recorded acting out the motions, but only her eyes and eyebrows were ultimately visible in the final film.

An interview with Marcy Page about the production.

Footage of the animatic (a sort of animation "dry run"), that's imo so different from the final product that it almost feels like a different movie in and of itself.

Simply put, I love everything about this film. From the 20s-ish look of the film as a whole, to the whimsy of its beginning, to the way it quickly ramps up the terror. What more can be said but to repeat what I posted about it a few months ago?

I tend to read it as being about putting your burdens down and embracing the freedom that Christ (or in this case maybe just the Mothman, I guess) offers. I think Frank Morares sums it up better than I can:

At the start, she is weighted down by her possessions. She is terrified when she sees the sign warning of thieves. Soon after, the thieves arrive, gas the passengers, and steal all of her stuff. On waking, she notices the thieves removing a sleeping man’s kidney. After this is accomplished, one of the thieves moves close to her, indicating that she should be quiet. Apparently, they are not after her or her organs. In fact, one gets the impression that she is on their team—even if she doesn’t know it. Her suspicion that this has all been a dream is quickly dispelled by the mud tracks left by the thieves.

Now we see the train is empty. Were all those other people dead? The chess players certainly didn’t play chess, but rather just watched as the bouncing of the train arranged pieces on the board. The boy was physically protecting himself by reading a hardcover book titled “How to Handle Your Enemies.” The tennis player made crude sexual gestures. Everyone seemed combative but ultimately impotent and irrelevant. If they are still on the train—if they are still alive, they do not matter—to anyone.

She desperately makes her way to the dining car and her last encounter with the moth. But this time, instead of annoyance, there is tranquility—an almost destroying love. She follows the moth, knowing somehow that it is showing the way. She reaches the front of the train just as the other train passes by. And she is transformed: from a burdened, frightened creature to one who thrills in life.

And then the trains are gone and the forest is calm. Madame Tutli-Putli’s transformation is complete. It was turbulent, frightening, exciting, and most of all: difficult. But now it is done and there is peace. She is not dead. In fact, I think she is at last alive.

Source- http://franklycurious.com/wp/2010/09/13/madame-tutli-putli/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:51:24 PM by Volnutt »
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Re: Good animated short of the day
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:13:02 AM »
Doll Face (2007), Andrew Thomas Huang, live action+CGI(?)

Pretty straightforward meditation on modern beauty standards, but I find it haunting none the less.

Huang has a lot of other interesting, surreal things on his website (he's a Bjork and Sigur Ros collaborator, so you know it's weird). I especially like how he incorporates digital glitching into his art. I'm pretty fascinated by digital glitches, too.*

Slight photosensitivity warning for the website, especially the homepage, though.

*I WANTED to like the movie Unfriended because I heard that it made some interesting use of digital video glitching, but I was just disappointed by a bog standard I Know What You Did Last Summer ripoff.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »
Didn't take me long to get to the Japanese stuff lol!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

赤ずきんと健康 英語字幕版 Little Red Riding Hood and Health. Can't really find any info on this one. myanimelist says it's the grad thesis of one Inoue Ryou and that it won the Toronto Japanese Short Film Festival in 2011 (the TJFF is a thing, but I can't find any info on most past winners), but I can't really confirm any of that. If anybody reads Japanese, the credits at the end of the video might be helpful for more info.

Anyway, it's a funny little hand drawn piece about... well, I won't spoil the story. I'll just say that I first saw it years ago on a Youtube upload that had no subtitles and I kind of miss that "version."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:06:13 PM by Volnutt »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
subscribed

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
subscribed

Thanks! Feel free to post any links you want!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
The Reward- (2015) Directors: Mikkel Mainz Elkjær, Kenneth Ladekjær, and Glenn August. Sun Creation Studio, Denmark. Hand-drawn.

This one might be a little NSFW (but I don't think it's overly so, certainly not to the extent of something like GOT), but it's so majestic that I just had to share it.

The tale of two idiots, each with one half of a treasure map, and the epic RPG bromance that forms from their quest! It has since spawned an entire series called Tales of Alethrion that includes both 2D and 3D installments, though I've not watched it.

The animation reminds me a lot of Adventure Time or of a couple of the anime shorts from The Animatrix.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:57:32 PM by Volnutt »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:32 AM »
subscribed

I'd contribute if I could :) For now I must merely follow along...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:43:55 AM »
To Be- 1990. John Weldon, director. David Verrall, producer. Kim Handysides, Howard Ryshpan; voices. Canada. Hand-drawn.

John Weldon is, simply put, amazing. Between this one, "Special Delivery," "The Lump," "The Log Driver's Waltz," and so many others, he's just... one of the greats.

In addition to its original release, "To Be" was broadcast in the US as part of Cartoon Network's O Canada block which lasted from 1997-2002. Enjoy this whimsical, simple to understand (and slightly dark) take on philosophy's Teletransportation Paradox.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »
subscribed

I'd contribute if I could :) For now I must merely follow along...

Just look around on youtube and watch whatever catches your eye. That's how I've found most or all of these over the years.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:45:12 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
The 1995 music video to Chage & Ashka's "On Your Mark", directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

The song is unremarkable early-90s soft rock with lyrics that have little or nothing to do with the video. But the video itself is, of course... Ghibli brilliance. Supposedly Miyazaki wrote the video for the band while he was suffering writer's block on something else. I wish I was that kind of talent-oozing creator lol!

Patrick Collins calls it "the most perfect short science fantasy film I've ever seen." I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but I agree that there's a remarkable economy of storytelling going on here. I can pretty much understand everything about the story despite there being absolutely no dialog and the story being told more or less anachronically.

This was also Ghibli's first experiment with integrating CGI with their hand-drawn animation (though the CGI was actually made by another company). I never would have noticed, and that's good.

And of course, the usual Miyazaki staples of fantastic machinery and architecture, flight, and random pig jokes are always appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:11:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 12:31:41 AM »
Junk Head- 2013. Takahide Hori, director. Yamiken. Stop-motion.

Possibly NSFW due to language and mild gore.

As with Little Red Riding Hood, I'm torn. I believe that I first watched this with Japanese subtitles and opening text crawl (what little dialog it has is all in gibberish futurespeak). Since it's a story that could have easily been told with no dialog whatsoever, I actually found it a little more enjoyable trying to figure out what was happening on my own.

So, the link above is to the first part of the Japanese release, and here's the full English version. Take your pick :)

The entire film is a gorgeous, impressive achievement that would make Henry Selick proud. I especially love the post-apocalyptic and "used future" backgrounds and props as they remind me of the industrial urban exploration that I did as a child (not that we called it that back then). The creature designs also have some obvious Silent Hill and Alien influences, which is always cool. I also like how the soundtrack is completely minimalist, and then punctuated with a Blade Runner-inspired thumping track.

The feature film version was completed last year but does not currently have a release date (also see trailer, production stills, etc. at that link).

A prequel called Bubble Heads was also in the works, but unfortunately failed to meat its Kickstarter goal.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
No, not the crappy Disney live-action series, but...

Descendants- 2005. Heiko van der Scherm & Holger Schoenberger, directors. Institute of Animation (Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg). Germany. CGI.

A cute little movie about talking flowers that... escalates pretty quickly.

To be honest, I'm kind of torn about this one too. It's gorgeous, the flower designs remind me of Disney's Alice in Wonderland, I like the design of the little bug things, one could probably tease a Christian and perhaps even Eucharistic reading out of some of the action and dialog.

But on the other hand, Whoppi Goldberg is just so distinctive a voice that it breaks my immersion whenever she talks. I kept having Pagemaster flashbacks. The frequent casting of celebrities in voice roles over the many hard working and multi-talented voice actors out there is always something that rankles me for a variety of reasons (looking at you, Disney dubs of Studio Ghibli movies)! And it's even worse when it's someone who's really not suited to the part. At least Christy Scott Cashman is not super ubiquitous yet, so she can blend in to the character more easily.

Also, the dialog they give Whoppi is not always the best imo.

Making of stuff can be found here.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:45:14 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »
I should add, The CGBros is a pretty good youtube channel for this sort of thing, from what I've seen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
So, I've fallen down this weird Soviet animation hole and thus I should have something in that vein to post tomorrow as well.

This first one, well I won't say it's good per se, but it is absolutely fascinating as an historical artifact at the very least!

Interplanetary Revolution: An Event Very Likely to Happen in 1929- 1924. Zenon Komisarenko, Youry Merkulov & Nikolai Khodataev; directors. State Tech Kino. USSR. Hand-drawn mixed with collage and stop motion.

“A tale about Comrade Cominternov, the Red Army Warrior who flew to Mars, and vanquished all the capitalists on the planet!!”

I've been fascinated by this piece since we shown it in a university course on Soviet Film. The best way I can describe it is a Clutch Cargo hallucination. Open Culture also very aptly compares it to the paintings of Henry Darger.

Also it has Nazi bulldog demons.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:24:03 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »
Bah, the other Soviet ones I found all had copyright strikes on them. Oh well.

Sebastian's Voodoo- 2008, Jaoquin Baldwin, director. CGI. Canada.

A little voodoo doll must find the courage to save his friend from getting pinned. Winner of the 2009 National Film Board of Canada short competition.

The comparisons to 9 are inescapable, but I still like the short and sweet pathos of the faceless little guys. The music adds some pretty nice atmosphere, too.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »
Waiting- 2012. Emlyn Boyle, director. Emlyn Boyle and Peter Balfe, producers. Emmyboy Films. Hand-drawn with some CGI(?)

The animation is a bit choppy in places. But I love the slow-burn, building sense of dread. Well-done horror!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:23:31 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:11:55 AM »

Descendants- 2005. Heiko van der Scherm & Holger Schoenberger, directors. Institute of Animation (Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg). Germany. CGI.

To be honest, I'm kind of torn about this one too. It's gorgeous, the flower designs remind me of Disney's Alice in Wonderland, I like the design of the little bug things, one could probably tease a Christian and perhaps even Eucharistic reading out of some of the action and dialog.

But on the other hand, Whoppi Goldberg is just so distinctive a voice that it breaks my immersion whenever she talks. I kept having Pagemaster flashbacks. The frequent casting of celebrities in voice roles over the many hard working and multi-talented voice actors out there is always something that rankles me for a variety of reasons (looking at you, Disney dubs of Studio Ghibli movies)! And it's even worse when it's someone who's really not suited to the part. At least Christy Scott Cashman is not super ubiquitous yet, so she can blend in to the character more easily.

What do you think?

I liked this one. My son liked Junk Head and On Your Mark. I almost caught up with your Friday edition.

I am trying to get back into this. This weekend I watched "Peace On Earth" (1939)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuiut
along with the updated  "Goodwill to Men" (1955)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsi-sxYDcBs
The former is better in my opinion, but it may due to my familiarity with Hanna Barbera and their mischievous mice.

I wish there were a political party call Peace On Earth, Good Will to Men.

I also watched "A Town Called Panic/Panique au village". Free on FilmRise with commercials. I have no link, it was through Roku. Nonstop silliness, kind of like the Marx Bros in this respect.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 04:08:48 AM »

What do you think?

I liked this one.

Yeah, despite my issues with it, I think I definitely more like it than dislike it. The deer gives its life for the flower, the flower gives its life for the deer, there's a new generations of flowers from the deer. It's rather poetic.

My son liked Junk Head and On Your Mark. I almost caught up with your Friday edition.

Cool. Isn't Interplanetary Revolution a head trip lol?

ETA: Please don't feel obligated to watch everything or anything on my account, though! Art should never be a chore.

I am trying to get back into this. This weekend I watched "Peace On Earth" (1939)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuiut
along with the updated  "Goodwill to Men" (1955)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsi-sxYDcBs
The former is better in my opinion, but it may due to my familiarity with Hanna Barbera and their mischievous mice.

I don't think I've actually ever seen either of those! Thanks!

"Goodwill" is definitely more polished. It has a very Chuck Jones and (you're right) Tom & Jerry style to it that I love. Seeing Hanna- Barbera's early material like this that was so good always makes me a little sad given their descent into cheapness in the 60s and 70s (not that those later cartoons are completely without charm, but it's definitely a downgrade).

The thing I thought "Peace" did better, though, was that it didn't spoil the post apocalyptic setting until the old man begins his story. I was actually a little shocked at first as I wasn't expecting a cute little cartoon animal village to be set after the apocalypse. Whereas in "Goodwill" it's clear from the establishing shot at the beginning. As a big fan of the movie 9, I was also pleasantly surprised to see its "What if WWI had been the end of the world?" premise anticipated as far back as 1939 (the tanks and the uniforms on the soldiers). It was also neat to see a cartoon of all things paraphrase Isaiah 58:12. Also, it had Mel Blanc as Grandpa, which is always welcome.

Wikipedia says there's no evidence that it ever got a Nobel Peace Prize Nomination, though. I'm not sure what Mankiewicz's source is on that.

On the other hand, it was interesting to see the expanded Cold War material and NT reference in "Goodwill." Either way, I'm often intrigued by cartoons staring characters who never got to be in anything else. It's interesting in a "What If?" way.

I wish there were a political party call Peace On Earth, Good Will to Men.

Yeah, but then James White would get mad that its not the "Peace On Earth, Good Will to Men on Whom His Favor Rests" Party.

I also watched "A Town Called Panic/Panique au village". Free on FilmRise with commercials. I have no link, it was through Roku. Nonstop silliness, kind of like the Marx Bros in this respect.

Looks interesting! I'll need to check it out.

In terms of features, I can also recommend a French animated film, actually. It's called Mune: Guardian of the Moon. An original and creative premise gorgeously executed.

Thanks for two great contributions!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:16:31 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:29 AM »
Speaking of Post-Apocalyptica (if that isn't a word, then it needs to be), here's a 1984 Soviet Uzbek adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains." Directed by Nazim Tyuhladziev for Uzbekfilm.

It departs from the short story in a few places and doesn't quite have Bradbury's sense of dark comedy. But I agree with Open Culture that the filmmakers were obviously going in a slightly different direction with the themes and I feel like the author still would have approved.

It's also pretty interesting to me to see the Iron Curtain side of nuclear annihilation fear.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:34:01 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 07:12:20 AM »
Don't have a lot of time to find something more involved, right now. So please enjoy this compilation of most of the cutscenes (and some associated gameplay footage) from the American video game, The Neverhood. 1996 for the Playstation 1 and Windows. Design team headed by Mark Lorenzen and Doug TenNapel (creator of Earthworm Jim). Developed by Dreamworks Interactive and published by Electronic Arts.

It was the first game done entirely in Claymation and I love the surrealism of the whole thing- the music, the character designs, the old school Looney Tunes-esque humor, the use of black voids, etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:13:51 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »
オオカミとブタ -Stop Motion with Wolf and Pig- 2009. Taijin Takeuchi, director. Stop motion with photographs and a puppet. Japan.

Man, this guy is a genius. I'm so jealous! I especially like the MC Escher-like reality bending that goes on at points.

Judging from his facebook, he's still active. I wish him a long and fruitful career.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Worlds Apart- 2011. Michael Zachary Huber, director. Project X Productions, USA. CGI.

Great animation punctuated by even better music from Chad Seiter, who actually did score work for several Pixar movies (among many, many other things that you've probably heard). Despite its modern touches, this film really has the feel of an old school science fiction script that might have shown up on an episode of the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits. This makes it even more impressive given that the entire thing is told without dialog.

I also love the innovation and poignancy of the central "method" through which the story is told. It feels very Pixar-ish, but I won't spoil exactly what it is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:01:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »
Video for Eye of the Storm by the band Lovett, from their "Highway Collection" album- 2011. Christopher Alender, director.  Soapbox Films, USA. Live action with CGI.

Ok, admittedly this one stretches the definition of "animation," since the core of it is an actor in a costume. But... to tell you the truth, I didn't realize that when I first began watching the video. Almost until the end, I just thought it was especially smooth CGI.

I feel like, to an extent, it transcends earlier "CGI-soaked" movies like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow or The 300 and becomes a sort of "painted reality" all on its own. I think that's kind of special.

I like the song, too. I like it better than the song "On Your Mark," at least (though obviously the video doesn't compare to Ghibli).

Unfortunately, watching the making of ruined it for me a little because I felt like the songwriter's explanation of his intent towards the meaning of the lyrics was kind of "ho hum." Up till that point, I thought the various actions of the man in the video were kind of mysterious.

Eh, maybe they still are...

So, do you think this should be categorized as a form of animation? Does it remind you of some other examples that you've seen before? I find it interesting to think about the possibilities.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:18:16 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
Here's the Plan- 2016. Fernanda Frick, director. Frick Studio, Chile. CGI.

A Zooptopia ripoff? Only in the visuals, if that. The plot is a simple tale of modern marital strife that has a couple of possible interpretations that come to mind, at least to me. I can see why the film has won so many awards.

I love the look of this piece most of all. The CGI has a very polished "cell-shaded" look to it that reminds of the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (which is a good thing, in my books). The lip flaps on the character models are a little wonky in a couple of places, but that's only a minor complaint.

The music, composed for this film by Joel P. West, is also exceptional.

And, as always, never Google image search anything with anthropomorphic animals. I've found that out the hard way a few times...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:36:04 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
Quand J'ai Remplacé Cemille (When I Replaced Camille)- 2017. Nathan Otaño, Rémy Clarke, and Leïla Courtillon; directors. Gobelins College of Visual Arts, France. Hand drawn.

English subtitles available in the CC options at the bottom of the video. Minor language warning.

I've been watching this youtube channel for quite a while, agonizing over which of these videos to link since they're all so good! I decided on this one since I like the "rawness" of the line work (almost reminding me of the pixel art in an MS-DOS game form the 90s, which is impressive given they didn't actually use pixels!) and the economy of storytelling. It gives you all the information for the premise, but also leaves you with a lot of questions- especially concerning how the main character Laure relates to the eponymous Camille. It makes good use of music and atmosphere and builds up to its suspenseful climax really well (and that end credits sequence is admirably cinematic, you'll know what I mean when you see it).

I can also recommend the films Memo, Perfum Fraise (Strawberry Ice Cream), One Day, and Burn Out. All on the same channel, and most of them involving Rémy Clarke.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:35 PM »
Get a Job- 1985. Brad Caslor, driector. Written by Brad Caslor, Derek Mazur, and Jay Brazeau.  Canada, hand drawn.

The moment that I clicked on this one, it was like it triggered an acid flashback. This thing (along with "The Cat Came Back" video in the related links) burned itself into the vaguest recesses of my memory when I must have been around 3 years-old.

It probably scared the crap out of me, or at least weirded me out, back then but now I just find it hilarious. It's a worthy homage to the madcap, highly musical, and sometimes grosteque worlds of the Fleischer Brothers cartoons of the 1930s (as well as to mid-century Disney. A lot of the comedic beats and voice acting I could see fitting right in with one of those "Goofy fails at modern activity or sport X" shorts).

The brilliant music by Jay Brazeau (and of course, the Silhouettes via their song "Get a Job") and voices by him and singer Al Simmons really round it out well. It's very much a welcome throwback. I can see why it won a Canadian Genie Award. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Job_(1985_film)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
Mirrors of Time- 1991. Jean-Jacques Leduc, director. Canada, hand drawn with CGI and models.

Since people are talking about calendars a lot on here today, I thought I'd share this little history of calculations for the day, the year, etc. from Babylonia to the Gregorian calendar. It's really unfortunate that the filmakers repeat the "Medieval Christians thought the Earth was flat" narrative. But I don't feel like it completely ruins the film in this case, since it isn't focused on as much.

I love these kind of old school documentaries, with their ambient music (in this case by Pierre Desrochers) and grand sounding narrations (Neil Shee and Marilyn Weston), they almost draw the viewer in to another, surreal world. They don't seem to really make films like this anymore and that's kind of a shame.

See the credits on the film for the full list of talented animators who collaborated to bring us each segment in history, there are a lot of them!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
Overcomer- 2016. Hannah Spengler, director. USA, hand drawn.

A sweet little short about the struggle against depression and self-loathing. Honeslty kind of hard for me to watch more than once since it hits close to home in a lot of ways... The Biblical reference in the title is entirely intentional.

She did this as a student project. Being from a student, I'm impressed at how fluid, and whispy, and just generally well done it is already.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Alright, trying to make this a regular thing again.

Tzadik- 2013. Oriel Berkovits, director. Hodaya Berkovits, producer. Israel, hand-drawn with CGI.

The background is obviously Cabbalistic, but perhaps it also has a more general spiritual interpretation. I love the sharp contrasts between dark and light colors, the rough looking outlines, and the "rarefied light" effect that makes it look like the Tzadik and the tree are glowing. I love how the Archon is portrayed as a big teddy bear (even purring like a kitten!), until it turns nasty when the Tzadik tries to leave and ascend. I love the effects of the water and the way it works with the sound effects. The violin-dominated music, by Yonatan Shemla, sets up and punctuates the action perfectly and sets a pensive, ancient-feeling mood. This was Oriel's grad thesis at the Bezalel Academy in Jerusalem and I hope he got a good grade!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Fr. Gabriel by Ikonimation. I can't in good conscience say that I think it's great, but it definitely shows promise (especially considering that it was done by only one guy on his cellphone, there's quite a lot of professional productions that don't have that excuse). The use of sound is really good and the use of icons is very creative and well integrated. Mostly I think the mouth flaps and the stiffness of the character's arms are my main complaints.

But it's nice to have Orthodox animated content of any sort and it's got a nice, heartwarming Patristic message (check out his hand-drawn comics. I like those a lot, they remind me most of The Little Prince). Plus the idea of a monastery on top of a giant tree stump is made of pure awesome!

I think this is a series with a lot of room to grow but a bright future ahead of it.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
I liked it. Its a great start. After each movie I would pray to God for the movie to do as much good as possible.
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »
Your own Cross. (Russian language version here). 2007. Hand drawn with CGI, Russian. Unfortunately that's all I can post about this one! Maybe somebody who speaks Russian can read the credits and figure out more?

I love the watercolor-like shading as it contrasts off the thick black outlines. The echoes in the characters of Russian iconography come through loud and clear (the unfortunate side effect of that is that sometimes the faces can be a bit "vacant" looking, but it's not overly distracting imo. The "watery eyes" effects help). I'm not quite sure how I feel about the CGI in the scene with all the crosses, but perhaps it works with the dream-like atmosphere of that entire part. The editing was quite good and the imagery was powerful.

My biggest issue was with the way the Mongols are drawn. I'm not sure how dehumanized or otherwise it might come off as. But, I might just be seeing something that isn't there and they were drawn as well as they could be given how little they're onscreen.

The animation on the burning cabin was not the greatest. It could have been integrated a lot better and just looks like the fire is behind it. Finally, I wish the person who edited the dub had figured out to separate the audio and music tracks so that the English is not just overlaid on sound dampened Russian. It's too bad YouTube's auto-translate is not the greatest, else I might just recommend watching it subbed.

Very nice!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:38:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 11:02:57 PM »
Two shorts that I couldn't decide between. I decided to put them both in the same post because they have similar themes. Both are interesting, bittersweet meditations on death from slightly different points of view.

Coda- 2015. Alan Holly, director. Ciaran Deeney, producer. "And Maps And Plans," Ireland. Hand-drawn.

This one has gotten a whole lot of awards (including almost getting an Oscar). I can definitely see why. I absolutely adore the simple, almost Picasso-ish drawing style combined with the smooth, flying movements of the characters (and the way it matches with the music and the voice acting).

The Life of Death- 2012. Marsha Onderstijn, director. AKV/St. Joost, Netherlands. Hand-drawn.

This one honestly almost made me cry. It DESERVED to be nominated for an Oscar. The music, the animation (especially the thing's cute little eyes behind it's mask, I love the character design). And of course, it tells its story and conveys its emotions perfectly without dialog which is always a way to earn points with me!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 04:09:52 AM »
Changing Batteries, 2013. Casandra Ng, director. Lim Shu Gi, producer. Sunny Side Up Productions, Malaysia. CGI.

I didn't want to post another sad one right after the last two, but this was just too well done. The facial expressions are a little janky at times, but otherwise this is another student film that feels very much an equal to Pixar. It quite clearly expresses the emotions at the heart of the story (I'm starting to sound like David Cage...) and the relationship between the two characters very well. I might be biased in that I love robots, but it does seem like a pretty good accomplishment any time a movie can make you feel for one.

The ending doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but it's kind of a discussion starter, at least.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:12:08 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 04:16:55 AM »
Also, not sure if I think this Russian Life of St. Seraphim of Sarov is any good or not.

It's kind of jerkily animated (and everyone has these pseudo-anime eyes that I personally found distracting). The music and narration is nice, though. It's sweet enough, just nothing ground breaking. Like I said though, Orthodox animations are welcome.

I just wish that YouTube's auto-translate wasn't so incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:18:40 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
Changing Batteries, 2013. Casandra Ng, director. Lim Shu Gi, producer. Sunny Side Up Productions, Malaysia. CGI.

I didn't want to post another sad one right after the last two, but this was just too well done. The facial expressions are a little janky at times, but otherwise this is another student film that feels very much an equal to Pixar. It quite clearly expresses the emotions at the heart of the story (I'm starting to sound like David Cage...) and the relationship between the two characters very well. I might be biased in that I love robots, but it does seem like a pretty good accomplishment any time a movie can make you feel for one.

The ending doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but it's kind of a discussion starter, at least.

I thought the short was lovely. I tried to repeat it to further understand the ending but Vimeo doesn't work well with Roku. My initial impression is that the robot ran out of batteries and went to heaven to be with the old lady that he devotedly loves. I am using Roku because I wanted my son to watch youthful creativity and imagination. He noted that it was made in 2013, the one year he likes but believes was erased from the internet.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 06:17:05 PM »

I thought the short was lovely. I tried to repeat it to further understand the ending but Vimeo doesn't work well with Roku. My initial impression is that the robot ran out of batteries and went to heaven to be with the old lady that he devotedly loves. I am using Roku because I wanted my son to watch youthful creativity and imagination. He noted that it was made in 2013, the one year he likes but believes was erased from the internet.

Yeah, that makes the most sense (either that or a more depressing "it was just a dying dream" interpretation- cue the creepypasta fan theories). It just seems kind of funny to me that they'd drop such an odd notion as "robot Heaven" completely out of nowhere. But maybe I'm just nitpicking.

Why does he believe 2013 was erased?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:17:21 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »
Harpy Gee- 2018. Brianne Drouhard, director. Nickelodeon Animation, USA. Hand-drawn.

I didn't realize that Nickelodeon's YouTube channel had so many good animations! A fun little short based on Drouhard's webcomic of the same name. Great animation (almost Disney looking at times, actually, especially the backgrounds), coloring, and somewhat surreal, Spongebob-style physical comedy. The voice acting is really nicely done and I love Drouhard's character designs, especially the snail monsters. Everything I would expect from a long-established studio like Nick.

I hope it gets a series!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:35:34 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
My, którzy Cherubinów przedstawiamy (We, Who Represent the Cherubim)- 2017. Paweł Iwaniuk, director. Music by Chór Fili. Studio Skala, Poland. Hand-drawn with cutouts(?)

Thanks, Dominika, for originally posting this in the Video of the Day thread! An animation "illustrating" the Cherubic Hymn in Polish. I love the crisp, clean lines and the sense of light and slow, purposeful movement that really reminds me of an Orthodox liturgy. The integration of the look of the icons and the design of the piece as a whole is seamless and perfectly apt. I love the smooth transitions from one component of the lyrics to another (with the creative use of the stylized Church buildings as "wipes") and the pervading sense of Christ as radiating Sun of Righteousness.

This channel has some other good videos on it worth checking out, including a long video on the history of Orthodoxy in Poland (text heavy, in Polish of course).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:52:11 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 03:35:41 AM »
Song in the Sky (Pilot ep.)- 2018. Director: Sam Frederich. USA, hand-drawn.

The creator's Patreon describes is as "Top Gun by way of Evangelion," and as cringey as that might sound (personally, I'd also add The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword into the mix of influences), it's actually a lot more interesting than you might think. It has a very "used future" look to it (which I always like personally), except for the hi-tech drone character, "Andy." Which makes you wonder if there's something more to him. And I find the idea of a sentient drone who's also kind of psychotically overprotective of a human very interesting. Angela is a really interesting character herself, who's obviously dealing with a lot of PTSD (just exactly what her backstory is looks like it's going to be fed to us slowly in the coming episodes) and has plenty of potential for character development.

The animation is pretty good, even if the character designs are not the most eye-popping. The designs of the monster and her little minions are pretty chilling, though, especially the sounds she makes.

The music, especially the theme song, was well integrated and really adds to the melancholy atmosphere of postapocalyptic survivors just barely hanging on. It's a well-worn premise, to be sure, but the way it's set up here looks to have some potential for interesting storytelling. So, I really hope it gets funded!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:37:44 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 05:59:52 PM »
Lovesick 相思- 2016(?). China, Hand-drawn.

Burn me if I can actually tell where this comes from (clearly not uploaded by the creator). But this is so beautiful, I felt like it should be shared anyhow.

From the first scene with the umbrella, the use of color and atmosphere in this piece really cripped me. The characters and movements are all very well done (with the exception of a couple of "jump cut" like moments, but those weren't burdensome and could be argued to be part of the overall effect), it's almost Ghibli quality in parts. It has a lot of classic visual symbolism like the red string, too.

The whole scene was very well written and integrates the text of Wang Wei's poem pretty well. It produces a very melancholy and, well, lovesick effect.