Author Topic: Any special services / liturgical changes in Lent?  (Read 574 times)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Dmitri of Rostov, Pray For Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
Any special services / liturgical changes in Lent?
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »
During Lent, several exclusive services are used in the Eastern Rite of the Orthodox Church - for example, the Canon of Saint Andrew or the Divine Liturgy of Saint Basil.

Are there any special services in the Western Rite which are used during Lent, which can be seen as being a correlation to these liturgical changes in the East?

And I'm sure that there are some Lenten modifications to the Liturgy of Saint Tikhon or the Liturgy of Saint Gregory, but if there is / not, can one remind me of what such changes involve?
"Miri it is while sumer ilast with fugheles song, oc nu
neheth windes blast and weder strong. ei ei what this
niht is long. and ich with wel michel wrong, soregh and
murn and fast."

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline Prufrock

Re: Any special services / liturgical changes in Lent?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
Alleluia is not said during Lent; the Gloria is not sung at Mass, nor the Te Deum at Matins. During Passiontide, the cross and holy images are veiled.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
I assume the Western Rite uses the presanctified liturgy which dropped out among the Latins after Vatican II.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Prufrock

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
In the ROCOR  Western Rite, the Presanctified Liturgy is used on weekdays during Lent (apart from on the Feast of the Annunciation). 

Offline Subdeacon Michael

• Subdeacon Cyprian
    • The Orthodox Church of the Gauls on Facebook
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Orthodox Church of the Gauls
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
In the Rite of the Gauls, the Benedictus, which is usually sung during the Mass (the Liturgy of St Germanus), is sung instead at Lauds, where it replaces the Gloria in excelsis, which is suppressed during Lent and Holy Week.

At Mass, where the Benedictus would usually be sung, other hymns are sung in its place.  During the pre-lenten season, this is the hymn of Notker Balbulus (In the midst of life we are in death...), during Lent it is the Beatitudes, and on Palm Sunday it is Vexilla Regis.  I cannot recall off the top of my head what is sung at the Mass of Holy Thursday - I think that there might be no hymn appointed, and that we go straight from the Kyrie to the Collect.

Also, on Holy Thursday, the Kiss of Peace is omitted because the act of kissing on that day takes on a very different significance.

As has been mentioned earlier, Alleluia is suppressed in all services from Vespers of Ash Wednesday (on the Tuesday evening) until the paschal services.

I'm sure there must be other things that change as well.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:23:41 AM »
During Lent, several exclusive services are used in the Eastern Rite of the Orthodox Church - for example, the Canon of Saint Andrew or the Divine Liturgy of Saint Basil.

Are there any special services in the Western Rite which are used during Lent, which can be seen as being a correlation to these liturgical changes in the East?

Yes, the additional offices:
on Mondays: Officium Defunctorum - Office of the Dead
on Wednesdays: Psalmi Graduales (kneeling)
on Fridays: Septem Psalmi Poentiteniales cum Litan.- The Seven Pentitenial Psalms with Litanies (kneeling)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penitential_Psalms

Offline Caelestinus

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:30:10 AM »
In the ROCOR  Western Rite, the Presanctified Liturgy is used on weekdays during Lent (apart from on the Feast of the Annunciation).

'Full Liturgies', i.e. holy Masses, on weekdays during Lent are an integral part of the Roman liturgical heritage. They trace back at least to the middle of the 5th century. An Orthodox Roman Rite with the claim to do things like St. Gregory the Great did, but abolishes or suppresses them, is a contradiction in itself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:31:16 AM by Caelestinus »

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »

'Full Liturgies', i.e. holy Masses, on weekdays during Lent are an integral part of the Roman liturgical heritage. They trace back at least to the middle of the 5th century. An Orthodox Roman Rite with the claim to do things like St. Gregory the Great did, but abolishes or suppresses them, is a contradiction in itself.

This is, of course, true.

The problem is the controversial Quinisext Council, which banned weekday celebrations of the Eucharist, and which is given Ecumenical status by the Eastern Orthodox Church.

I have heard three different positions from Western Rite people within Eastern Orthodoxy on this:
  • The anti-western sentiments of this council were pronounced in a particular political climate and might be considered unjust.  Therefore, they need not be rigorously enforced today, and certainly should not override the western liturgical tradition of weekday masses, practised by the saints.
  • Although these anti-western canons might have been unjust, for the sake of not inviting further criticism of the Western Rite, it is better to quietly adhere to them.
  • The anti-western canons were definitely unjust at the time and could have been legitimately challenged by the Patriarchate of Rome.  However, as Rome broke communion, and the remaining Orthodox patriarchates were not affected, these canons have become the unchallenged norm in Orthodoxy for a thousand years.  Therefore, any westerners coming into Orthodoxy today ought to humbly accept that situation.
Different jurisdictions take different approaches.
'If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved.' - St John of Saint-Denis

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Subdeacon Michael, I am not familiar with the Rite of the Gauls, but I do find it interesting that Alleluia is suppressed on the Tuesday evening; do ferial days begin with Vespers? In the Roman rite, Ash Wednesday doesn't begin until Matins on Wednesday morning. Of course in the traditional Roman rite, Alleluia is suppressed at First Vespers of Septuagesima Sunday.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

• Subdeacon Cyprian
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
Subdeacon Michael, I am not familiar with the Rite of the Gauls, but I do find it interesting that Alleluia is suppressed on the Tuesday evening; do ferial days begin with Vespers?

In our rite Vespers is always of the coming day.  I'm relying on memory but I seem to recall from Taft that this was also the case in the ancient Gallican custom.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
Subdeacon Michael, I am not familiar with the Rite of the Gauls, but I do find it interesting that Alleluia is suppressed on the Tuesday evening; do ferial days begin with Vespers?

In our rite Vespers is always of the coming day.  I'm relying on memory but I seem to recall from Taft that this was also the case in the ancient Gallican custom.

That sounds right to me, too, though it's been a while since I read Taft. Thank you.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Ash Wednesday is the only exception to the rule that the liturgical day begins with Vespers.  Traditionally Ash Wednesday began at midnight.

BTW that is the liturgical basis of the children's tale of Cinderella....return to the ashes at the last stroke of midnight.