Author Topic: For a name  (Read 325 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
For a name
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:08:23 AM »
So I was asked by my pastor to pray about a chrismation name.  However, after a couple of months praying about it, keeping my name is still at the top of the list, followed by name of the Apostle after whom my hometown is named and then by one of the saints remembered on my birthday.  The problem is that I couldn't find a saint with my name, but my pastor said that there's a church dedicated to my namesake in Greece.  Of course, I'm eager to know about him, but my name just doesn't figure in any list of Orthodox saints, unless my patron is an obscure one.  I'm inclined to ask my pastor to choose my name.

Please, pray that God lets me know what name He desires for me.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
Re: For a name
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »
May the Lord help you!  Why not choose a saint that has the same translated meaning of your name?  Some sites I found onliine suggest that Sharbel means "God's good news".  Some similar names would be: Evangeline/Evangelos, Agathangelos,, or how about one of the Evangelists?
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
Prayers!

Offline marigold

• Archon
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
Lord, grant wisdom to Your servant, Sharbel.

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:53:02 AM »
Why not choose a saint that has the same translated meaning of your name?
That's the thing.  Though I have no Greek heritage, I have a very Greek name already!  8)

I'd very much like to have a saint whose feast is also my name day, for I need all the help I can get.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:54:04 AM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
May the Lord help you!  Why not choose a saint that has the same translated meaning of your name?  Some sites I found onliine suggest that Sharbel means "God's good news".  Some similar names would be: Evangeline/Evangelos, Agathangelos,, or how about one of the Evangelists?

It may be also Bashar - it's in Arabic and it means exatly "Good News", Evangelos.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
What about Martyr Sarbelus of Edessa (Sharbil in Arabic)? You could keep your name, who's probably also the namesake of the Maronite St. Sharbel.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:35:48 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Sharbel

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
I gave no further indication one way or the other, so I decided to submit to my pastor's choice.  He immediately said that I should keep my name, Εύανδρος, and to celebrate my name day on the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle!

Thank y'all for your kind prayers.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός