Author Topic: Why are the Oriental Orthodox so Hypocritical about Nationalism?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Why are the Oriental Orthodox so Hypocritical about Nationalism?
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
Every member of the Oriental Orthodox Church is some sort of Black nationalist or white guy infatuated with Rasta culture who will insist until they are blue in the face that there are no theological differences between them and the Eastern Orthodox, yet they still feel the need to worship at their own parish with other dark skinned people rather than the local Russian one down the street. This is especially evident when you see them waving Ethiopian flags and glorifying Haile Selassie while simultaneously criticizing the Eastern Orthodox and especially Russia for aligning itself so closely with the state. How can you criticize phyletism, nationalism, and putting one’s faith in princes and sons of man when your entire faith is predicated upon some sort of eschatological view of Ethiopia and Rasta culture?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Why are the Oriental Orthodox so Hypocritical about Nationalism?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
I admire your nuanced and levelheaded approach to this topic.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »
The Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox are out of Communion. It would make no sense for a member of the Ethiopian Church to go to a Russian church.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
Good to see you back for your birthday fix, J.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
i should you should go pray with the ethiopian. Why i feel a white supermacy in your post.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
i should you should go pray with the ethiopian. Why i feel a white supermacy in your post.

i think you should go pray with the ethiopian.

Offline LoveJoyPeace

• Servant of Christ
  • Unworthy soul, sustained by Grace and Mercy
  • Faith: Oriental (Coptic) Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New York & New England
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »
I would love to attend an EO church. It's not really the top priority right now for me because I cannot receive there. I do see us as being theologically the same. But I submit to the authorities of my jurisdiction in regards to communing at EO. I would however love to visit the Greek Orthodox Church nearby me even if not to commune there.
Christos Anesti!

I'm forever still learning. If I say something wrong, please let me know. :)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
The Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox are out of Communion. It would make no sense for a member of the Ethiopian Church to go to a Russian church.

From the title to the content of the post,  I have my doubts even pointing out a basic fact like that is worth it.  The tone seems a bit hyperbolic.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

From the title to the content of the post,  I have my doubts even pointing out a basic fact like that is worth it.  The tone seems a bit hyperbolic.

Okay then.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 03:30:07 PM »
Happy Birthday James!  I pray another more blessed year for you brother.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:12:45 AM »
Every member of the Oriental Orthodox Church is some sort of Black nationalist or white guy infatuated with Rasta culture who will insist until they are blue in the face that there are no theological differences between them and the Eastern Orthodox, yet they still feel the need to worship at their own parish with other dark skinned people rather than the local Russian one down the street.

They might be the same theologically (and I think they most likely are), but they are still different churches with different rites and different community ties within each individual congregation. You might as well chide the members of Greek or Antiochian Church X for the "hypocrisy" of not going to Russian Church Y down the street. You're being myopic.

This is especially evident when you see them waving Ethiopian flags and glorifying Haile Selassie while simultaneously criticizing the Eastern Orthodox and especially Russia for aligning itself so closely with the state. How can you criticize phyletism, nationalism, and putting one’s faith in princes and sons of man when your entire faith is predicated upon some sort of eschatological view of Ethiopia and Rasta culture?

Well, one salient difference is that the Russian state is insanely corrupt whereas the Ethiopian monarchy has been out of power since the 50s, but let's not get into whiteman Babylon's politricks.

Why do you think that most of them are motivated by eschatology or racism and not just the fact that they feel more comfortable in the community that they happen to have been born or converted into? Yes, it's tragic that Sunday is the most segregated day in America, but that's an issue that effects all of Christianity in this country and reflects the inertia of two+ centuries of cultural events that are far bigger than any one guy in a Bob Marley shirt.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:09 AM »

Well, tbf, James is at least half-Mexican. But I think it is fine to ask why he expects others to leave their Church homes for Russian ones before him taking the first initiative and joining an Ethiopian Church.

"I'm white, but if there was an Ethiopian Church near me I would seriously consider joining just because I love their liturgy and culture;" Volnutt said, in an act of totally not virtue signalling.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:37:46 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:48 AM »
It is nice to hear from you again. You were one of my favorite posters. We should exchange emails sometime.

Well, tbf, James is at least half-Mexican. But I think it is fine to ask why he expects others to leave their Church homes for Russian ones before him taking the first initiative and joining an Ethiopian Church.

Well for starters, because I am not the one claiming that the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are entirely the same despite being out of communion with each other. I am not saying that we are different either or that the are heretics - I am simply not qualified enough to answer. Only that for those of us who do claim that we are the same, usually the Oriental Orthodox, it strikes me as very hypocritical or at least inconsistent with their logic to attend a struggling Ethiopian parish with hardly any members rather than merge with the larger Greek or Russian parish down the street. I would say the same thing if the tables were reversed only I’ve found that the Greeks and Russians are at least honest enough to admit that their reluctance is the result of nationalism whereas the Oriental Orthodox claim to somehow be above that.

Why do you think that most of them are motivated by eschatology or racism and not just the fact that they feel more comfortable in the community that they happen to have been born or converted into?

I don’t. My question is not so much why the Oriental Orthodox are nationalistic as much as it is why they are so hypocritical about it. We Orthodox are the most nationalistic branch of Christianity in the world yet like I stated above, I’ve found that the Eastern Orthodox are at least honest about it whereas the Oriental Orthodox claim it does not exist and/or try to hide it. That would be understandable in and of itself, but when they are simultaneously criticizing the Eastern Orthodox for the same exact thing, calling every political establishment Babylon, accusing them of racism and white supremacy, and likening the use of flags to idolatry it strikes me as hypocritical. And no, I am not speaking of Gebre. He has criticized Haile Selassie before so he is at least consistent in his ideology. But there are others like Gebre who do all of these things despite sporting the Ethiopian flag and glorifying Emperor Selassie as if he were some sort of saint, claiming to be “woke” and supporting Black nationalism. And yeah, it usually comes from strange white guys in Bob Marley shirts.

Offline LoveJoyPeace

• Servant of Christ
  • Unworthy soul, sustained by Grace and Mercy
  • Faith: Oriental (Coptic) Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New York & New England
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »
It is nice to hear from you again. You were one of my favorite posters. We should exchange emails sometime.

Well for starters, because I am not the one claiming that the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are entirely the same despite being out of communion with each other. I am not saying that we are different either or that the are heretics - I am simply not qualified enough to answer. Only that for those of us who do claim that we are the same, usually the Oriental Orthodox, it strikes me as very hypocritical or at least inconsistent with their logic to attend a struggling Ethiopian parish with hardly any members rather than merge with the larger Greek or Russian parish down the street. I would say the same thing if the tables were reversed only I’ve found that the Greeks and Russians are at least honest enough to admit that their reluctance is the result of nationalism whereas the Oriental Orthodox claim to somehow be above that.

Why do you think that most of them are motivated by eschatology or racism and not just the fact that they feel more comfortable in the community that they happen to have been born or converted into?

I don’t. My question is not so much why the Oriental Orthodox are nationalistic as much as it is why they are so hypocritical about it. We Orthodox are the most nationalistic branch of Christianity in the world yet like I stated above, I’ve found that the Eastern Orthodox are at least honest about it whereas the Oriental Orthodox claim it does not exist and/or try to hide it. That would be understandable in and of itself, but when they are simultaneously criticizing the Eastern Orthodox for the same exact thing, calling every political establishment Babylon, accusing them of racism and white supremacy, and likening the use of flags to idolatry it strikes me as hypocritical. And no, I am not speaking of Gebre. He has criticized Haile Selassie before so he is at least consistent in his ideology. But there are others like Gebre who do all of these things despite sporting the Ethiopian flag and glorifying Emperor Selassie as if he were some sort of saint, claiming to be “woke” and supporting Black nationalism. And yeah, it usually comes from strange white guys in Bob Marley shirts.

Why should they attend another parish of a different jurisdiction nust because of a "larger congregation"? They can't take communion there. And they shouldn't be expected to convert either. Also, some people prefer smaller congregations. I personally find them more intimate, and appreciate them. I know this because my parish back home is enormous. There are something like 3000 families registered there. The one I go to now actually meets in a Catholic parish that we rent in a city so the students who can't access the main parish 13 miles away can still attend Liturgy, Bible Study, and Vespers. With a smaller congregation it is more inclusive of everyone and everyone can serve a role. Not to mention, as a person with ADHD, a huge congregation can get quite distracting for me.

Not to mention, I will never leave the Coptic Orthodox Church. No matter how similar I feel the theology of EO and OO are, and no matter how much I believe that schism was mostly, if not entirely political, I will not convert out of the Coptic Orthodox Church. It is such a blessing for me to belong to a jurisdiction of martyrs. Even looking in from the USA, the faith and courage of my brothers and sisters in Egypt is one of the most inspiring things in my faith. So visiting? Sure! Absolutely! Attending consistently? Nope. I can't Commune. "Converting"? Absolutely not.
Christos Anesti!

I'm forever still learning. If I say something wrong, please let me know. :)

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 02:39:05 AM »
Every member of the Oriental Orthodox Church is some sort of Black nationalist or white guy infatuated with Rasta culture who will insist until they are blue in the face that there are no theological differences between them and the Eastern Orthodox, yet they still feel the need to worship at their own parish with other dark skinned people rather than the local Russian one down the street. This is especially evident when you see them waving Ethiopian flags and glorifying Haile Selassie while simultaneously criticizing the Eastern Orthodox and especially Russia for aligning itself so closely with the state. How can you criticize phyletism, nationalism, and putting one’s faith in princes and sons of man when your entire faith is predicated upon some sort of eschatological view of Ethiopia and Rasta culture?

Tbh I have noticed this with a lot of OO converts. However, I have noticed plenty of EO converts acting much the same towards Russia. I mean, I've been criticized myself for not being pro-Putin. Some people have even gone as far as deeming me a heretic. That aside, though, I think the struggles of the OO church are just easy for a lot of people to get behind. Copts in particular come to mind. They're regularly being blown up by ISIS so a lot of people sympathize with them. As for the Ethiopians, I think it stems more from the whole Black Nationalism movement. People feel blacks are oppressed, particularly in modern America so again see a cause that's easy for them to get behind.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:23 AM »

Good to see you, too.

Well, like LoveJoyPeace said, the fact is that they aren't in communion. Compare it to the way some EO feel about the Catholic Church. So, what ever points about "logistics" issues that one might raise, it's kind of a silly thing to demand of them if the Bishops haven't formally established anything (and even then, there's plenty of cases of struggling EO churches near larger ones and it seems cruel to demand that they pull up roots).

I have a hard time believing that many of them (among the Ethiopians, let alone the five other OO Churches that your posts have strangely been ignoring this whole time) are really "claiming it doesn't exist." Sure that you're not conflating hypocrisy with recognizing that one is guilty of a sin yet still recognizing that it's a sin and trying to work past it? I'd rather see someone try to fight against their own hypernationalism, even when their efforts are imperfect, then just admit it and go about their day like nothing is wrong.

And if you see white LARPers as the major offenders here, why not just call them out instead of posting sweeping generalizations?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:28:53 AM by Volnutt »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »

Maybe because that person believes Chalcedon to be incorrect?

And you ought to read some 19th century Russian prophecy or 20th century Greek prophecy.

Keep in mind that patriotism is not something to be scorned at.

And keep in mind Protestantism was the same way 19th century and before (America being a city on a hill) as is Mormonism as was 19th century Roman Catholicism and before.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:36:38 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
Every member of the Oriental Orthodox Church is some sort of Black nationalist or white guy infatuated with Rasta culture who will insist until they are blue in the face that there are no theological differences between them and the Eastern Orthodox, yet they still feel the need to worship at their own parish with other dark skinned people rather than the local Russian one down the street.

TBF, I know some Indian Orthodox people who worship weekly in a Greek church. And one of them is a priest.

They don't commune, but they attend and actively participate.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Every member of the Oriental Orthodox Church is some sort of Black nationalist or white guy infatuated with Rasta culture
This certainly doesn't apply to the Armenian, Malankara, or Syriac churches. It has to be an overgeneralization even if some people in the Ethiopian OO Church were.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline peacenprayer

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
I like how OP delivered a reasonable and understandable argument supported by facts and not at all influenced by bias and instability.
Ran away to wear a black night gown and a funny hat. Pray for me!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »

Keep in mind that patriotism is not something to be scorned at.

Debatable.

And keep in mind Protestantism was the same way 19th century and before (America being a city on a hill) as is Mormonism as was 19th century Roman Catholicism and before.

And today, really.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »

Phyletism:

Catholic unity in diversity:

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Nice! I'll have to remember that.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Mt. Lathos
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »
Phyletism:

LOL. Apparently requiring Chalcedonians to facilitate.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Mt. Lathos
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »

Phyletism:

Catholic unity in diversity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHra5pWlyuI
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »
Ooof, Pat. Illyia is not looking well.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »
He doesn't look that bad for someone with all that age. I imagine he handles with a lot of stress, too.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »
He doesn't look that bad for someone with all that age. I imagine he handles with a lot of stress, too.

The idiom would be either "handles a lot of stress" (a stretch) or "deals with a lot of stress" (what you were probably aiming at). Just mentioning it because your English is generally extraordinarily good.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 02:52:19 AM »

I was mostly talking about his tremor. But yeah, could be worse.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »

The idiom would be either "handles a lot of stress" (a stretch) or "deals with a lot of stress" (what you were probably aiming at). Just mentioning it because your English is generally extraordinarily good.
Thanks! I appreciate this kind of remark, BTW, one can never accomplish any language, specially one as vast as English, but ESL courses aren't worth it anymore, so practice is really the only way I still advance.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
I admire your nuanced and levelheaded approach to this topic.

LOL! My thoughts exactly.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »

I'm happy to know you aren't talking about me.  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx