Author Topic: Former Anglican bishop ordained Orthodox priest  (Read 5960 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Former Anglican bishop ordained Orthodox priest
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:50 PM »
The ceiling
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »

This isn't at all what I was asking about.  How many converts does the Eastern Orthodox Church receive a year from Anglicanism?  How many does the Roman Catholic Church receive?
1.3 per cent of current Catholics have been converted either from no religion or a non-Christian faith.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/june-3rd-2016/how-catholics-can-reclaim-britain/
The UK (minus NI) has almost 5 million Catholics (If you count Northern Ireland, the number will be bigger). 1.3% X 5 = 65,000. That looks relatively small.
I am not sure what the conversion rate for EOs/OOs is.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:56:00 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

This isn't at all what I was asking about.  How many converts does the Eastern Orthodox Church receive a year from Anglicanism?  How many does the Roman Catholic Church receive?
1.3 per cent of current Catholics have been converted either from no religion or a non-Christian faith.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/june-3rd-2016/how-catholics-can-reclaim-britain/
The UK (minus NI) has almost 5 million Catholics (If you count Northern Ireland, the number will be bigger). 1.3% X 5 = 65,000. That looks relatively small.

Why don't you just say "I don't know" instead of providing peripheral data that fails to answer any aspect of what I am actually asking?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »

Why don't you just say "I don't know" instead of providing peripheral data that fails to answer any aspect of what I am actually asking?
The peripheral data like the reversion issue helps to answer your question, because you said the theory was reasonable. The Catholic conversion statistics are helpful if you can get the Orthodox statistics and compare them.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline David Young

• Archon
  • 2015, Baptist chapel, Llay
    • Some of my sermons preached at Bradley Road
  • Faith: Baptist
  • Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
Obviously, without Holy Orders, there can be no priesthood, no altar ..., without these the bread remains bread and the wine remains wine.

So how is a person supposed to receive Christ exactly ? ...  By faith alone

Well done. We are agreed - well, in a sense. (I have of course removed the words "and no Church".)

You should take on board - as I have often stated on the forum previously - that I am not in this to convert Orthodox to being Evangelical, nor with a view to myself becoming Orthodox. I do however hope that the discussions can promote bilateral understanding where we may have misunderstood each other, and maybe therefore also foster respect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:09:53 AM by David Young »
"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15

• Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »

The peripheral data like the reversion issue helps to answer your question, because you said the theory was reasonable. The Catholic conversion statistics are helpful if you can get the Orthodox statistics and compare them.

It's not helpful at all.  You are giving me generic data about how many people in the UK become Catholics every year, regardless of their religious background.  Let me say it one more time.  I want to know:

1. How many Anglicans become Roman Catholic every year.

2. How many Anglicans become Orthodox every year.

One might also ask how many Anglicans become Baptists or something else every year, as David Young interjected.

I want to know if Eastern Orthodoxy is really the go-to for Anglicans as Agabus postulated.  The peripheral data you are posting is not helping to answer that question.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
I want to know if Eastern Orthodoxy is really the go-to for Anglicans as Agabus postulated.  The peripheral data you are posting is not helping to answer that question.

Did you miss the post where I admitted I didn't  think really that was the case except for a certain type of Anglican?

I'll expand: Guys on the continuum 'Dox, guys in the communion proper go Rome or go home. I'll admit this has gotten a little fuzzier since the continuum guys got together and formed the ACNA.

I'd add in some other corollaries, but then we'd veer into politics fast.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:30:37 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »

Did you miss the post where I admitted I didn't  think really that was the case except for a certain type of Anglican?

No, but this isn't about proving you right or wrong.  I really am curious about the data on the subject.  The Anglican communion seems to be hemorrhaging members.  I'd like to know where most of them wind up, and more importantly, what percentage find their way to Orthodoxy.  Fair enough?

Online Agabus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »

No, but this isn't about proving you right or wrong.

YES IT IS. EVERYTHING IS.  >:(

I really am curious about the data on the subject.  The Anglican communion seems to be hemorrhaging members.  I'd like to know where most of them wind up, and more importantly, what percentage find their way to Orthodoxy.  Fair enough?

Fair enough.

I'd like to take it one step further and just see someone study conversions to Orthodoxy from within Christianity and see which group a). is biggest, and b). has the most staying power at the five and 10-year marks.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »

No, but this isn't about proving you right or wrong.

YES IT IS. EVERYTHING IS.  >:(

On this day, you are oc.net.

I really am curious about the data on the subject.  The Anglican communion seems to be hemorrhaging members.  I'd like to know where most of them wind up, and more importantly, what percentage find their way to Orthodoxy.  Fair enough?

Fair enough.

I'd like to take it one step further and just see someone study conversions to Orthodoxy from within Christianity and see which group a). is biggest, and b). has the most staying power at the five and 10-year marks.

+1

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »
You should take on board - as I have often stated on the forum previously - that I am not in this to convert Orthodox to being Evangelical,
How many Orthodox have you converted to Evangelicalism over the years?

I do however hope that the discussions can promote bilateral understanding where we may have misunderstood each other, and maybe therefore also foster respect.
I feel I have a good understanding of Reformed theology, having spent years in it. One thing that appeals to me is that it tends to take a very modern naturalistic objective approach. I think that this is a good way to experiment and learn scientifically about the world. Putting aside the power and major authority of 1900+ years of Christian tradition and bishops, Reformed theology takes a step back to look at religion, while keeping at least a very intense respect for the words on the Bible's pages.

This is a great way to learn about the Cosmos and to study Civil Law. But it's an awful way to study a religion's actual teachings, which are inherently based on the supernatural, religious traditions, and communal interpretations.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:31:04 PM by rakovsky »

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
Since we discussed reversion to Catholicism, I want to mention Edward the Confessors prophecy about England leaving and reverting to its mother church by the distance of three furlongs. England lacked Catholic bishops from the mid 16th c. to the mid 19th.
See
http://unveilingtheapocalypse.blogspot.com/2011/11/prophecy-of-st-edward-confessor.html?m=1

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
One of the biggest conversion sources in the US could be from evangelicals

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
Thank you for clarifying. Not having the direct data oneself, peripheral/circumstantial data can be very important.

The fact that the RC Church was the basic historic and official national church of England for centuries before the Reformation, but then suppressed and being semi-underground for 300 years, only to lead to massive reversion is one circumstantial piece of evidence.

A second piece of evidence can be that Rome was the patriarchal authority ecclesiastically over England in the way similar to how Antioch was a patriarchal authority over various lands. Following the principle of apostolic succession, Rome's hierarchy could be seen as the "mother church" that someone focused on this episcopal theology could gravitate to.

Another piece of evidence can be a comparison of how many famous Anglicans converted to Catholicism vs. to Orthodoxy. One famous Catholic ex-Anglican that comes to mind is Cardinal Newman.

A fourth piece of evidence can be the movements within the Anglican Church in one direction or another. It's true that there is an Anglican - Orthodox ecumenical organization in the UK (Fellowship of St Albans). But the Anglo-Catholic movement is much larger, with many Anglo-Catholic parishes in the US and UK. Anglo-Catholics are already very Catholic-leaning, so I expect the RC Church would be their go-to if they were going to leave Anglicanism.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2017, 09:31:09 PM »
Thank you for clarifying. Not having the direct data oneself, peripheral/circumstantial data can be very important.

The fact that the RC Church was the basic historic and official national church of England for centuries before the Reformation, but then suppressed and being semi-underground for 300 years, only to lead to massive reversion is one circumstantial piece of evidence.

A second piece of evidence can be that Rome was the patriarchal authority ecclesiastically over England in the way similar to how Antioch was a patriarchal authority over various lands. Following the principle of apostolic succession, Rome's hierarchy could be seen as the "mother church" that someone focused on this episcopal theology could gravitate to.

Another piece of evidence can be a comparison of how many famous Anglicans converted to Catholicism vs. to Orthodoxy. One famous Catholic ex-Anglican that comes to mind is Cardinal Newman.

A fourth piece of evidence can be the movements within the Anglican Church in one direction or another. It's true that there is an Anglican - Orthodox ecumenical organization in the UK (Fellowship of St Albans). But the Anglo-Catholic movement is much larger, with many Anglo-Catholic parishes in the US and UK. Anglo-Catholics are already very Catholic-leaning, so I expect the RC Church would be their go-to if they were going to leave Anglicanism.

With all respect, rakovsky, I knew all of this, and it really doesn't bring me any closer to an answer to my question at all.  Since Google isn't availing much either though, I thank you for your input and for trying.

Offline David Young

• Archon
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »

None, nor have I tried. It may be that people have heard me preach in Albania who were from an Orthodox family background but had not yet come to any personal faith in Christ, and that my words helped them to believe savingly in him. If so, they may subsequently have joined an Evangelical rather than an Orthodox church. But I am not aware of any such listeners. If their names are in the Lamb's book of life, it does not bother me greatly whether they have reverted to their Orthodox background, or continued among us.
"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
Since Google isn't availing much either though, I thank you for your input and for trying.
Hey you said something nice.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »

None, nor have I tried.
OK. I thought you had said something else before about you evangelizing people who were Orthodox in Orthodox countries.
Maybe I misremembered.
Peace.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
Since Google isn't availing much either though, I thank you for your input and for trying.

Hey, you (almost) made a post without trolling!  ;)

Offline David Young

• Archon
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
I thought you had said something else before about you evangelizing people who were Orthodox in Orthodox countries.
Maybe I misremembered.
Peace.

We evangelise people indiscriminately, without asking each individual in advance whether he is already born again. In Albania that would mean, on average, that 20% were from traditionally Orthodox families. 70% would have a Moslem background, whether Sunni or Bektashi, and 10% Roman Catholic. But in reality many would not really have any personal faith. Those who respond to the gospel we present come from all those backgrounds, as no doubt to people who turn to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:15:14 PM by David Young »

Online Agabus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »

Hey, you (almost) made a post without trolling!  ;)

Past precedent on these forums considers calling someone a troll or accusing them of trolling an ad hom. Save that for the private fora.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: ELCA
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »
Does it make sense to convert from one form of protestantism to another ? I think people who convert from anglicanism want access to authentic Eucharist so they choose the denomination which they consider to have true Holy Orders, so they may receive true sacraments.

People do convert from one Protestant faith to another all the time. 

Nor do our notions of sacramental validity necessarily have much to do with Orthodox notions of validity.   We Lutherans believe in the priesthood of all believers and we regard the type of church governance one has as a purely human institution with no specific divine command or promise attached to it.   
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Nor do our notions of sacramental validity necessarily have much to do with Orthodox notions of validity.   We Lutherans believe in the priesthood of all believers and we regard the type of church governance one has as a purely human institution with no specific divine command or promise attached to it.   

The Orthodox also believe in the priesthood of all believers, though we do not refer to it as such.  We believe that the one true priesthood is that of Christ, and that every Orthodox Christian shares in this priesthood.  We also believe, however, that Christ appointed the apostles to a ministry of service and presidency in the Church.  The apostles and their successors, working in concert with the Holy Spirit , have appointed bishops, presbyters and deacons to serve and preside in their stead.  We believe that, from the earliest times, only a bishop or someone delegated by him (a presbyter) has had the authority to  preside at the Eucharistic liturgy.  Also from the earliest times, however, we have  believed that while the  Church is hierarchical , those in authority preside in love within the Church, not above it.  We also believe that all are, in one sense, equal in the Church,  although not the same: every order or level has different gifts or duties to carry out.  So much in Orthodoxy is paradoxical, and this illustration of how the Church functions is a good example of this.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:07:11 PM by Pravoslavbob »
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Don't believe everything you think.

The more I know, the less I know.   ;)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
Does it make sense to convert from one form of protestantism to another ? I think people who convert from anglicanism want access to authentic Eucharist so they choose the denomination which they consider to have true Holy Orders, so they may receive true sacraments.

We believe in the same idea. But the Sacramental priesthood, established by Christ and the Apostles is not the same thing as the priesthood of all believers.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

We believe in the same idea. But the Sacramental priesthood, established by Christ and the Apostles is not the same thing as the priesthood of all believers.

What do you mean by "Sacramental" here?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2017, 12:55:48 AM »
It's not like Orthodoxy is in any way deficient.
Obviously it is in this way, at least in the Americas: numbers.  The odds of an inquiring Anglican to trip at a Roman church are much higher than at an Orthodox church.  Similarly on the odds of him personally knowing a practicing Roman or Orthodox.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:03:49 AM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »

Apostolic succession through a hierarchy of bishops and priests is a tradition of men, that, while ancient and having a certain dignity, is not the essence of the Church.   If a president or bishop were to become heretical or absent, it would be within the authority of a congregation to appoint a new president called to that ministry.   Consequently, the structure of Lutheran churches tends to be varied.  Some have a sacramental priesthood of bishops, priests, and deacons, and others do not.  Some are strictly congregational (especially some Pietists and the LCMS), others are not. In the ELCA, congregations that choose to disaffiliate have not been sued for their property, because the property is understood to belong to the local congregation, not the wider church body.   

We are held together strictly by shared mission, and perhaps, though not always perfectly evident, love.  We don't have an institutional view of the Church.  In Lutheran churches you'ld never have a situation like the Priestless Old Believers, who believe that there is no priesthood left on earth, and therefore no Eucharist.  As my pastor said, if you find yourself in a situation without a Lutheran church, "start one of your own".   The Church, down here below, is made of believers gathered around Word and Sacrament, it is local and concrete.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:40:48 AM by Daedelus1138 »
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."   - Martin Luther

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »

Apostolic succession through a hierarchy of bishops and priests is a tradition of men, that, while ancient and having a certain dignity, is not the essence of the Church.   

Maybe in your religion, but not in Christianity.  Even St Paul had to be ordained.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

Apostolic succession through a hierarchy of bishops and priests is a tradition of men, that, while ancient and having a certain dignity, is not the essence of the Church.   

Maybe in your religion, but not in Christianity.  Even St Paul had to be ordained.

Such a good example. Called by an appearance of Christ himself. Still put himself under the ordaining hands of the presbyters in Antioch. Taught by the Spirit for two years in total isolation in the Arabian deserts. Still submitted himself to the Apostles and St. Peter in Jerusalem. Hailed throughout Grecia and Asia Minor as the local churches' founder and spiritual father. Still attended a council to judge his activities and submitted himself to the attendees and St. James.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »

We also recognize the necessity of ordination for the purposes of good order.  We just don't believe the power to ordain resides exclusively in a particular hierarchy of men.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »

We also recognize the necessity of ordination for the purposes of good order.  We just don't believe the power to ordain resides exclusively in a particular hierarchy of men.

So much for Scripture!
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2017, 02:27:39 PM »

So much for Scripture!

While we do consider the Bible the normative basis for all Christian doctrine, we are not biblicists, nor do we have the same regulative principle as some other Christian groups.  Church governance does not have to look exactly like the new testament church to be valid.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »

So much for Scripture!

While we do consider the Bible the normative basis for all Christian doctrine, we are not biblicists, nor do we have the same regulative principle as some other Christian groups.  Church governance does not have to look exactly like the new testament church to be valid.

So Sola Scriptura was just something with which to bash the other guys? Makes so much sense now.

Online Agabus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
LOL, someone needs to tell the ACNA that Fr. Sam is not one of theirs any more.