Author Topic: Orthodox Bishops of Germany Write Letter Concerning Love, Sexuality, Marriage  (Read 845 times)

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
On the day that God made Adam, He made him in the likeness of God.
Male and female He made them,
He blessed them and He named them ‘Man’.
(Gen 5:1-2)

Dear young Orthodox Christians in Germany,

As bishops of your Church in Germany we wish to speak about some topical issues in this letter which is written specifically for you. The world is moving ever closer together. And the burning issues of our time come increasingly to the fore. They are of profound concern to human existence – your existence: God places the present and the future in your hands.

Available in a PDF of it's own here:
http://www.obkd.de/Texte/Brief%20OBKD%20an%20die%20Jugend-en.pdf
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:02:20 PM by Antonis »
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Čtec

• Faith: Orthodox
"In modern times many young men and women have sexual relations before marriage.  
Against this background, many people ask how the Orthodox Church judges the situation.   This is not a charter for sexual permissiveness.  We emphasise:  
It is very important to behave with responsibility; responsibility concerning one’s own
sexuality, the sexuality of one’s partner, and also the consequences of sexual life;
responsibility towards oneself, to society and before God

Thus
we wish that your love will be crowned by a church wedding, that in consequence a
Christian family will come into being, and that you will learn to honour, protect and
support life, including newly developing life. "

In other words, bishops are saying, you can have sex with just one girlfriend that you "love", and then they will come with their little crowns to crown your love.

Very vague statement. Why did they not condemn adultery openly? Are they afraid of the world?
"On Mount Konjuh the wind blows, sings. The leafs chant sad songs. Maples and frasers! Pines and birches are swinging together.
The night has put all forest in to black. Mount Konjuh roars, rocks are breaking!
Dead comrade, Pustinja's miner,  being buried by the company of proleters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzGJMbHg0E

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Isn't that similar to what happened in the first centuries of the Church, before there was a wedding ceremony with all the bells and whistles? People would get together and then be married officially (secularly) and then that relationship would be recognized as an existing thing (sacramentally) in the Church?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:47:24 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
I'd edit the above if I could, because I didn't put it very well. [/foot in mouth]

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
I'd edit the above if I could, because I didn't put it very well. [/foot in mouth]

How would you say it if you were going to put it in better words, then?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
Well, it's unfortunate to see that the problem of Liberal German bishops is not only a problem in the RCC.
I'm done.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
Isn't that similar to what happened in the first centuries of the Church, before there was a wedding ceremony with all the bells and whistles? People would get together and then be married officially (secularly) and then that relationship would be recognized as an existing thing (sacramentally) in the Church?
No, the state injected itself in marriage, at least in the West, during the French Revolution. 
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
You're reading too much into this. Just because the bishop doesn't speak like OC.net doesn't mean he's morally lenient.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:46:20 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Čtec

Sacramental blessing of the marriage, as we know it today, came in early 10th century, when the Christian Empire declared that all it's citizens must be married in the Church, which meant to be married in the state too. This is when Church "composed" it's ritual of crowning the couple. Before 10th century, couple would be married by receiving together the presanctified gifts. Church clearly condemns sex outside the marriage as adultery, it is in it's canons and works of the Fathers of the Church. The German Bishops talk vague, to avoid accusations from any side, and yet sin continues as normal.
"On Mount Konjuh the wind blows, sings. The leafs chant sad songs. Maples and frasers! Pines and birches are swinging together.
The night has put all forest in to black. Mount Konjuh roars, rocks are breaking!
Dead comrade, Pustinja's miner,  being buried by the company of proleters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzGJMbHg0E

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Nice letter.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
Nice letter.

+1.

The letter sets out Church teachings clearly without going into a rant against young people who may be having a hard time following them--or may not even know what they are.