Author Topic: Prayer for mission  (Read 431 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
Prayer for mission
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
I have recently begun attending a new parish, though because of its distance we tend to make liturgy every other week rather than every week. This means that I'm still catching up to some of the quirks of the parish.

Yesterday, I had to step out of the liturgy shortly after communion to deal with the baby, and when I came back in the attention of the congregation was shifted to where the priest and the altar helpers were standing off to the side in front of a specific icon (I never did see which one) before breaking and returning to say the usual final prayers.

I only caught the last 20 seconds or so, so I thought maybe it was some kind of minimalist memorial service, but when I asked later they said it was the church's monthly prayer that the mission would be fruitful.

I didn't see anything wrong with that, and the parish seems to be particularly mission-minded, but I've never seen anything like it in the nine years I've been attending liturgies. Do other churches incorporate similar prayers into their services?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Prayer for mission
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
Was it a Molebin?  We do things like this occasionally. For a while there were many people in seeking work, and we always had a molebin, at the conclusion of liturgy, immediately before the dismissal to St Xenia of St. Petersburg who is helpful for those seeking employment. We have done this also to our patron saint asking prayers for our building efforts. Though fortunately our rector is now doing this service before liturgy.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
At my parish for one year (because of the new rector's decision) on Sunday Liturgies, just prior the last "let the Lord's name be blessed" the clergy and the altar boys go up to the relics of st. Bazyli Martysz, the magnification and/or troparion for hims is sung, then they come back to the centre in front of the iconostasis and the Liturgy ends normally. I've seen something similar in Serbia, however it was done prior to the Communion and the believers were not only looking and praying toward the relics only by turnning their heads to them (as it happens at my parish), but they were also approaching to the relics  and kissing them.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
How new is the parish?

https://oca.org/questions/parishlife/mission-church-cathedral

Not terribly. Fifteen years or so. Significant growth in the last five.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »
Was it a Molebin?  We do things like this occasionally. For a while there were many people in seeking work, and we always had a molebin, at the conclusion of liturgy, immediately before the dismissal to St Xenia of St. Petersburg who is helpful for those seeking employment. We have done this also to our patron saint asking prayers for our building efforts. Though fortunately our rector is now doing this service before liturgy.

I grant I missed most of it, but I don't think enough time had passed for a molebin. Of course, I tend to lose track of time during St. Basil liturgies anyway, so...

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
---> The Jesus Prayer . . . Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me - a sinner.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary