Last year I was visiting a famous ancient monastery in Egypt, and I had the privilege of meeting a Monk who is a well-known “souah” (arabic) - I’m not quite sure how to translate it accurately into English (“hermit” possibly?), but it denotes a Holy Solitary who often “flies by the spirit”. We asked him what his thoughts were concerning visions, apparitions or dreams that are often allegedly received by believers, even if they be Orthodox. He answered by giving us a statistic (not to be taken literally - only given for the sake of emphasis) pertaining to how many of these alleged visions, apparitions or dreams are, how shall we say, NOT from God: 99.99% (the other 0.01% being at least subject to the discretion of the local Bishop, and not one’s own personal conscious.)
He also advised us that if one were to ever encounter such a phenomenon, then one is to always prima facie presume that such is not from God; for even if such is from God, our caution will be rewarded rather than held against us, and God will certainly make His ways inevitably known to us in the end.
Regarding the case of our new member Lazarus here, it certainly seems highly suspicious, and I for one do not buy it; however, as Bogoliubtsy has pointed out, Lazarus may simply be innocently “duped”, and not necessarily acting with deceptive or malicious intent.
Lazarus, are you Orthodox?