Author Topic: Is "she will crush your head" still technically correct?  (Read 635 times)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Nicholas II, Pray for Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None, unfortunately. Hopefully soon.
Is "she will crush your head" still technically correct?
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
Okay, I couldn't help myself. One last post.

Is the Hebrew rendering of "she will crush your head" technically still correct?

After all, it was through the Theotokos that Christ came into the world to save sinners.
Jesus:you are the reincarnation of Elijah you can trust me I'm jesus!

LivenotoneviL: yeah right get behind me satan

Exposed demon: oh no my cover is blown!

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. And may God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of Christ.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
Re: Is "she will crush your head" still technically correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
Okay, I couldn't help myself. One last post.

Is the Hebrew rendering of "she will crush your head" technically still correct?

After all, it was through the Theotokos that Christ came into the world to save sinners.

No, the Hebrew pronoun is masculine, in agreement with the masculine zar'ah "her seed."
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Xavier

• Elder
  • Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Save Us!
  • Faith: Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Apostolic Throne of St. Peter's
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:27 AM »
Yes, it is correct. And there are many Jewish witnesses to it in Hebrew. The first explicit prophesy in Sacred Scripture is about the Messiah and His Mother. http://taylormarshall.com/2010/12/who-crushes-satans-head-in-genesis-315.html

"Our three best Jewish witnesses to Gen 3:15 interpret the passage as “she shall crush.” These are Philo Judaeus, Josephus the roman historian, and Moses Maimonides, the great medieval Jewish philosopher. Philo argues that the Hebrew parallel poetry of Gen 3:15 demands the reading of “she shall crush.” Josephus, also writing in Greek, describes the passage for us as reading “she shall crush.” Then last of all, Maimonides also states that Gen 3:15 teaches that the woman shall crush the head of the serpent."

And http://www.unitypublishing.com/SheWillCrush.htm

The first is simply that the original Hebrew word only means:  "the former" - the word implies no number and no gender -- that is WHY the older translations use the phrase: "IT" shall crush thy head. That is, perhaps, the most literal translation - if one chooses to isolate this phrase out of it's context. Using the word "it" makes it clear that there is no specific linguistic linkage to gender, which would clearly identify WHO will crush the serpents head. In all fairness, the original word COULD refer to BOTH, since the word used, simply means: "the former" - i.e. the just referred to. Since that last reference was enmity "between your seed and her seed" - it is not clear if "the former" refers to "her" or to "her seed" ... The reason St. Jerome is right, and all modern translations are WRONG is because he clearly understood the meaning of CONTEXT of the passage. The context is that there is an enmity between the WOMAN and the SERPENT - and only ONE can rightfully be permitted to CRUSH HIS HEAD. The choices are 1) the woman, or 2) all of her combined offspring designated by the term "it". If there is anything CERTAIN, it is that the OFFSPRING is not a SINGULAR case. Only the WOMAN can be used in the singular case. Therefore, "the former" that the scripture is referring to is, as Jerome accurately translated it, is the woman.
It is MORE of of linguistic stretch to try to force the OFFSPRING of the woman to reference a "specific singular" - than it is permit "the WOMAN" to be the reference of the "specific singular".

Locution, Aug 18, 2014: "They will realize that I have released an ocean of graces which have changed their darkness into light. They will realize that they have been freed from the past century of diabolical control. They will also know that this great gift has come through the consecration of Russia made by the Holy Father in communion with all the bishops in the world. http://locutions-forever.org/locutions/show/2014-08-18/1-the-overcoming-of-separation

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:09:25 AM »
No, the Hebrew pronoun is masculine, in agreement with the masculine zar'ah "her seed."
is always masculine, but הוא isn't always , it can be (feminine) too, though only in the Torah. See Exodus 2:2, where it refers to Jochebed. The Hebrew wording is ambiguous. The Targum (Aramaic paraphrase) and Septuagint (Greek translation used by the Orthodox Church to this day) seem to be unambiguously male, though.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:37 AM »

And http://www.unitypublishing.com/SheWillCrush.htm

The first is simply that the original Hebrew word only means:  "the former" - the word implies no number and no gender -- that is WHY the older translations use the phrase: "IT" shall crush thy head. That is, perhaps, the most literal translation - if one chooses to isolate this phrase out of it's context. Using the word "it" makes it clear that there is no specific linguistic linkage to gender, which would clearly identify WHO will crush the serpents head. In all fairness, the original word COULD refer to BOTH, since the word used, simply means: "the former" - i.e. the just referred to. Since that last reference was enmity "between your seed and her seed" - it is not clear if "the former" refers to "her" or to "her seed" ... The reason St. Jerome is right, and all modern translations are WRONG is because he clearly understood the meaning of CONTEXT of the passage. The context is that there is an enmity between the WOMAN and the SERPENT - and only ONE can rightfully be permitted to CRUSH HIS HEAD. The choices are 1) the woman, or 2) all of her combined offspring designated by the term "it". If there is anything CERTAIN, it is that the OFFSPRING is not a SINGULAR case. Only the WOMAN can be used in the singular case. Therefore, "the former" that the scripture is referring to is, as Jerome accurately translated it, is the woman.
It is MORE of of linguistic stretch to try to force the OFFSPRING of the woman to reference a "specific singular" - than it is permit "the WOMAN" to be the reference of the "specific singular".

Emphasis mine.

Doesn't that conflict with Galatians 3:16 (also emphasis mine)?

The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say, “and to seeds,” meaning many, but “and to your seed,” meaning One, who is Christ.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:58:30 AM by Volnutt »
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
is always masculine, but הוא isn't always , it can be (feminine) too, though only in the Torah. See Exodus 2:2, where it refers to Jochebed. The Hebrew wording is ambiguous. The Targum (Aramaic paraphrase) and Septuagint (Greek translation used by the Orthodox Church to this day) seem to be unambiguously male, though.

In Exodus 2:2, הוא is in fact , referring to the son, not Jochebed:
וַתֵּ֤רֶא אֹתוֹ֙ כִּי־ט֣וֹב ה֔וּא
(Literally) and-seeing him that-good he => And seeing that he was good.

Even though the Masoretic Text does occasionally have הוא where היא would be expected, the MT points it differently to reflect the pronunciation. It is of course possible that the scribes didn't catch all of them, but here the masculine is required since the predicate adjective ט֣וֹב is masculine, and it is referring back to the masculine pronominal suffix on אֹתוֹ֙.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
Putting aside Hebrew grammar questions (which are far above my head) it seems to me that if we can say Mary saves us, through her son, then we can likewise say she crushes the serpent's head.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
Putting aside Hebrew grammar questions (which are far above my head) it seems to me that if we can say Mary saves us, through her son, then we can likewise say she crushes the serpent's head.

Indeed. I've never had a problem with the sentiment, properly understood – I just bristle at the insistence certain stripes of Catholics have in insisting that the Vulgate is correct over and against every other ancient version.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

Indeed. I've never had a problem with the sentiment, properly understood – I just bristle at the insistence certain stripes of Catholics have in insisting that the Vulgate is correct over and against every other ancient version.

Is that an instance of a sort of "Vulgate Only-ism?"

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:27 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty similar.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 12:00:58 AM »
3:15  וְאֵיבָה אָשִׁית בֵּֽינְךָ וּבֵין הָֽאִשָּׁה וּבֵין זַרְעֲךָ וּבֵין זַרְעָהּ הוּא יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ וְאַתָּה תְּשׁוּפֶנּוּ עָקֵֽב׃ ס

Pertaining to the one doing the bruising, it looks like the noun, verb, and pronoun are masculine.  I am not sure why the extra הוּא is in there.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »

Yeah, it's pretty similar.

Odd considering that the Vulgate was controversial in its own day.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »
3:15  וְאֵיבָה אָשִׁית בֵּֽינְךָ וּבֵין הָֽאִשָּׁה וּבֵין זַרְעֲךָ וּבֵין זַרְעָהּ הוּא יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ וְאַתָּה תְּשׁוּפֶנּוּ עָקֵֽב׃ ס

Pertaining to the one doing the bruising, it looks like the noun, verb, and pronoun are masculine.  I am not sure why the extra הוּא is in there.

I imagine it's mildly emphatic ("HE will do this, and YOU will do that"). An explicit subject pronoun is not terribly unusual, though it is probably more often omitted.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:30:54 AM »

In Exodus 2:2, הוא is in fact , referring to the son, not Jochebed:
וַתֵּ֤רֶא אֹתוֹ֙ כִּי־ט֣וֹב ה֔וּא
(Literally) and-seeing him that-good he => And seeing that he was good.

Even though the Masoretic Text does occasionally have הוא where היא would be expected, the MT points it differently to reflect the pronunciation. It is of course possible that the scribes didn't catch all of them, but here the masculine is required since the predicate adjective ט֣וֹב is masculine, and it is referring back to the masculine pronominal suffix on אֹתוֹ֙.
Oh, you are right.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.