OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Roman Catholic Church no longer holds to the truth of the Bible  (Read 1834 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: October 08, 2005, 02:52:42 AM »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-13090-1811332-13090,00.html

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 07:32:38 AM »

Interesting article

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Stamfordguy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 10:28:55 AM »

I don't find anything in this article with which to disagree. We're not Protestant fundamentalists, giving a literal interpretation to every story found in the bible. It seems to me that the Catholic Church is simply saying that the bible needs to be interpreted according to: the times in which a particular book was written, the persons to whom the book was written taking into consideration their culture and traditions at that time, and bearing in mind that many stories have a symbolic rather than literal interpretation. I disagree that the Catholic Church no longer holds the truth of the bible. What it no longer holds (if indeed it ever held) is the fundie, literalist interpretation and that's a good thing. Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 11:15:28 AM »

I don't have an issue with the statement that "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision". In that way, we are certainly not inerrantists (though we certainly affirm the Scripture's infallibility). However, what I would have a problem with, if the article was accurately reporting the facts, is this type of thing:

"But the first 11 chapters of Genesis, in which two different and at times conflicting stories of creation are told, are among those that this country’s Catholic bishops insist cannot be “historical”. At most, they say, they may contain “historical traces”." (emphasis added)

Insist? Cannot? At most? Seems rather modernistic to me. Since when has the Church (or the RCC) "insisted" that the creation story in Genesis absolutely "cannot" be historical? If this is true, then they have simply avoided the trap of Protestant Fundamentalist wooden literalism by embracing Liberal Protestant criticism/naturalism.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 11:16:25 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 11:57:39 AM »

There are mal-contents, new agers and modernists everywhere...as they say in hockey...Game On...the battle wages...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »

I also see nothing wrong with this artice. In fact this statement:

"As examples of passages not to be taken literally, the bishops cite the early chapters of Genesis, comparing them with early creation legends from other cultures, especially from the ancient East."

Is exactly what my Priest teaches in the catchumen class that I took. He teaches that scripture, many Canons, and traditions of the curch must be understood in the context of the times in which they were written/created and cannot always be applied to today.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 01:18:47 PM by TomS » Logged
Stamfordguy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:10:30 PM »

All right, Tom! We're finally in agreement. Cool!  Cheesy
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

It seems to me that the Catholic Church is simply saying that the bible needs to be interpreted according to:

...political correctness.

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:23:23 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:47:42 PM »

...political correctness.

Yea, I mean, it does seem like interesting timing for them to come out with this statement...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:52:39 AM »

Why consider the phrase "May blood be upon us and our children" non-historical if not for political correctness?
This curse would have no bearing on today's Jews in the first place given that only God can command one and that a curse would basically run out after a few generations.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 10:16:48 AM »

I've been unable to find out anything about this except through the Times article. It reads to me as though the actual teaching of the bishops was profoundly misunderstood.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: