Author Topic: Orthodoxy in Italy  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Mercurius1

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Orthodoxy in Italy
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:41 AM »
I’m a convert to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism and my family has deep ties to Sicily. Since becoming Orthodox, I have been curious of Orthodvwithin Italy itself. Is Orthodoxy growing? I know there is a sizable Orthodox diaspora population. I would love to see Italy and Sicily be Orthodox again

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Orthodoxy in Italy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
There is a website: http://www.ortodossia.it/w/index.php?lang=it
featuing events in the Orthodox parishes of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Italia, and some services and prayers translated into Italian. So, I think, that it's growing; maybe slowly, but at least it's not a decline.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
From what I've heard of an Italian priest, evangelisation efforts are scarce, at least those from canonical churches, but at least you indeed have sizeable diasporan communities. Don't lose hope of seeing a sudden surge, though, these things sometimes have a rocket point.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:14:18 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »
From what I've heard of an Italian priest, evangelisation efforts are scarce, at least those from canonical churches, but at least you indeed have sizeable diasporan communities. Don't lose hope of seeing a sudden surge, though, these things sometimes have a rocket point.

Yea I’ve seen where there are a good number of Romanians there. Given how Italian identity is wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, do you think Orthodoxy will ever make headway with Italians?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »
There are a lot of Byzantine Catholic Churches in southern Italy and those are way more full than their Latin Rite counterparts.  Be aware.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:59 AM »
Italy doesn't need evangelized. It borders on ridiculous to me at this point. Peter and Paul are there, and their seeds have fully bloomed. Is Rome perfect? Nope. But she's certainly fully Catholic and Christian in my opinion. I'd gladly live peacefully in Italy under Catholic protection. Evangelization efforts are better invested in plenty of other places.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:29 AM »
Neat. two cigars.
Free "Tequila" Dave!

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »
Italy doesn't need evangelized. It borders on ridiculous to me at this point. Peter and Paul are there, and their seeds have fully bloomed. Is Rome perfect? Nope. But she's certainly fully Catholic and Christian in my opinion. I'd gladly live peacefully in Italy under Catholic protection. Evangelization efforts are better invested in plenty of other places.

Then why don’t you become Catholic?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:26 AM »
Yea I’ve seen where there are a good number of Romanians there. Given how Italian identity is wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, do you think Orthodoxy will ever make headway with Italians?
"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." (St. Matthew 19:26)

I live in Brazil, which is a country with in one side very strong Latin Catholic heritage, and on the other notorious for all kinds of debauchery. Still, Orthodoxy has made its way into religious circles so strongly and suddenly that we see ourselves lack priests and parishes for all that demand. Do I expect to see Brazil or Italy with as many Orthodox Christians as Greece or even, say, Lebanon? No. But I hope to keep seeing churches opening year after year, and more and more souls being won to Christ and his Church. Verywhere.

The fact Italy has such a rich Christian tradition is exactly a good reason for it to be evangelised Orthodox. Their cultural heritage was shaped around our Holy Church for almost a thousand years.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Αριστοτελης

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:21:29 AM »

Brother, the tombs of the patriarchs are also in Palestine, but how glorious are the feet of those who go into that land and bring back wondering Jews to the true Israel?

And what does it mean to be fully Catholic? Does it not mean to possess 1) the fulfness of the truth about God, man and his salvation, 2) that the Church is dispersed all over the world, and 3) that is calls all to itself to repent from their ways and turn to God. Now do the Catholics possess number 1? No, that's why as a sick member, they were cut off from the Orthodox Church.

Sometimes Protestants idealise Jews, going against St Paul, let us beware not to idealise the Catholics, and unwittingly trample upon great hierarchs of the past like Mark Euenikos. Remember what St Igantius the God-Bearer and St John Chrysostom said, not even the blood of martyrdom wipes away the sin of schism and heresy, and the latter also taught not to connect in spirit with those not of the household of faith (the Church), lest we be lead unwittingly into their false ways.
Arguing for the primacy of the Pope while he is in heresy is like saying to someone who wants to retain their health, "Go to the hospital even though the hospital no longer functions".

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
Given how Italian identity is wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, do you think Orthodoxy will ever make headway with Italians?
Given how Guatemalan identity was wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, what wonder that it may become the first Western nation with an Orthodox majority!

"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." (St. Matthew 19:26)
Because of this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:18:40 AM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »

Then why don’t you become Catholic?

Because their liturgies on the whole are irreverent and banal, and also because the papal claims are inflated. But they're not groundless claims, and their churches don't lack sacramental grace because of their flaws. Just my opinion. I'm Orthodox, but I can be Orthodox without believing a bunch of garbage about Catholics. My mind has changed on these matters over the years.

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
Given how Italian identity is wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, do you think Orthodoxy will ever make headway with Italians?
Given how Guatemalan identity was wrapped up with Roman Catholicism, what wonder that it may become the first Western nation with an Orthodox majority!

Because of this.

True, I completely forgot about Guatemala. That’s a separate topic of discussion and I’m confused about the reports coming out of there. But, either way, glory to God that good things are happening there!

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »

I live in Brazil, which is a country with in one side very strong Latin Catholic heritage, and on the other notorious for all kinds of debauchery. Still, Orthodoxy has made its way into religious circles so strongly and suddenly that we see ourselves lack priests and parishes for all that demand. Do I expect to see Brazil or Italy with as many Orthodox Christians as Greece or even, say, Lebanon? No. But I hope to keep seeing churches opening year after year, and more and more souls being won to Christ and his Church. Verywhere.

The fact Italy has such a rich Christian tradition is exactly a good reason for it to be evangelised Orthodox. Their cultural heritage was shaped around our Holy Church for almost a thousand years.

Given the way that modern Catholicism has moved, and how (reportedly) Italian Catholics are disinfranchised with Pope Francis, I’m not sure it would take a whole lot. Unlike Protestantism, Orthodoxy has a history in Italy before the schism, and in southern Italy/Sicily after that

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
There is a website: http://www.ortodossia.it/w/index.php?lang=it
featuing events in the Orthodox parishes of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Italia, and some services and prayers translated into Italian. So, I think, that it's growing; maybe slowly, but at least it's not a decline.

Are there man, if any, Italian converts to Orthodoxy?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
I've come across a few on Facebook. You'll find a couple of Italian names scrolling through Italian Orthodox websites. Googling a bit, there seems to be a full book about Orthodoxy in Italy, you might be interested.

I see how this is not enough for one to feel embraced by an Italian Orthodox community, but these are examples that you're not crazy. :P We actually have at least two Italian saints who converted to Orthodoxy after the Great Schism, but I can't recall their names. One of them became a renowned abbot in Russia.

P.S.: The one who became an abbot in Russia was Venerable Macarius the Roman of Novgorod, but I can't find anything about the other one, whom I recall to be someone from the XI/XII century.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:18:58 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
I've come across a few on Facebook. You'll find a couple of Italian names scrolling through Italian Orthodox websites. Googling a bit, there seems to be a full book about Orthodoxy in Italy, you might be interested.

I see how this is not enough for one to feel embraced by an Italian Orthodox community, but these are examples that you're not crazy. :P We actually have at least two Italian saints who converted to Orthodoxy after the Great Schism, but I can't recall their names. One of them became a renowned abbot in Russia.

P.S.: The one who became an abbot in Russia was Venerable Macarius the Roman of Novgorod, but I can't find anything about the other one, whom I recall to be someone from the XI/XII century.

Thanks for this! I now wish I read Italian better than I do :'(

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »

St. Anthony the Roman
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
Don't know anything about the subject but the Greek Orthodox liturgies I've attended in Rome were bilingual. Mostly Greek of course but still there were at least some Italian.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
St. Anthony the Roman
Precisely!

Oh, I thought you were Italian.

Offline Mercurius1

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
St. Anthony the Roman
Precisely!

Oh, I thought you were Italian.

I am, but Sicilian American lol. My spoken Italian isn’t great but that’s what google translate is for

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
The only thing which I know, is that Italy is inter alia under the Serbian orthodox jurisdiction of the most popular Serbian Orthodox Bishop, who speaks fluently Italian & sings very good Italian folk songs! Bishop Andrej plays guitar & sings "Alla fiera dell'Est ..." in Vincenza, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNt-BCJ_ebw

:)

Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 12:06:57 AM »
Hello,

I was born the United States my background is that of Southern Italian I a person that converted to the Orthodox Christian faith back in January, 7 2001. I agree that it takes time to change from Roman Catholic to Eastern Orthodox Christian it is because you are raised the Italian culture and Roman Catholic religion seem to mesh together and unbreakable. Italian has to be able deal with what he or she is raised in. In my Orthodox Church I'm am 1 of we have 4 Italians in our parish alone. In my first parish I was an altar server with Italian priest and the altar server were also Italian like me too. It is very possible for people like me to convert and rejoin Mother Church for the Southern Italian people who history is Orthodox Christian.

Offline maneki_neko

• Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 02:13:18 AM »
True, I completely forgot about Guatemala. That’s a separate topic of discussion and I’m confused about the reports coming out of there. But, either way, glory to God that good things are happening there!

Can someone start a topic on this? I'm curious as well.
主哀れめよ!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 02:59:44 AM »

There's been quite a few threads on it over the years. As I recall most of the converts are from flaky Charismatic Catholic groups converting at the parish level.

Three of them:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25267.msg394630.html#msg394630
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,62005.0.html
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,58145.0.html
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »

Yes it is  possible for you to start a topic on your own by hitting the term "New Topic" in any forum; remember to start it in the correct  Forum to the subject of the topic or it may be moved to an appropriate topic,

Your servant in Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline EmperorConstantine

• Sailor
  • St. Constantine the Great
  • Jurisdiction: Military-don't have the luxury to care
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:25 AM »

It is entirely possible.

Southern Italy and Sicily were the last Byzantine holdouts in Italy so eventually people could discover their Byzantine heritage and embrace it. When Pope John Paul I was a bishop in northern Italy he caused part of a town to leave Catholicism and embrace Orthodoxy due to a dispute over clerical appointments with the town becoming cannonical under the current EP sometime in the early 2000s.

As Italians leave Catholicism God willing they'll find Orthodoxy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
Southern Italy and Sicily were the last Byzantine holdouts in Italy so eventually people could discover their Byzantine heritage and embrace it. When Pope John Paul I was a bishop in northern Italy he caused part of a town to leave Catholicism and embrace Orthodoxy due to a dispute over clerical appointments with the town becoming cannonical under the current EP sometime in the early 2000s.
Wow, what was the name of the town?

Offline EmperorConstantine

• Sailor
  • St. Constantine the Great
  • Jurisdiction: Military-don't have the luxury to care
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 11:00:01 PM »
I believe Montaner.

Offline Frank J

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 01:51:51 AM »
Hello to all

My background is Southern Italian on my father's side and my side is siclian background. I was at one time RC but became very unhappy about what I found or not found in the RC Church. One day I happen to have a radio station on a religious station. It happen to be a show on the Orthodox Christian faith and listening to the Orthodox Priest talking about the faith it was drawing me to keep listening to the radio broadcast. That was what would be the seed that would bring me to the faith. I heard that show in the year 1988 or 1989 it would have start attending the Church in 1992 to 1993. I tried pratices the faith and the Church's Divine Liturgy for a about a year but struggle with break with my RC past. After about a year practicing the faith why I was still RC, I ended up leaving to try one more time the RC Church. I attended a Latin Tridentine Mass in Boston Massachusetts and was there for three years ,it was at that time when a Novus Ordo Nun in insulted me when she found out that I attended the Latin Mass community service at Holy Trinity German Catholic Church. After that I left for the last time that would be in 1996, two years later I called the number for my old Orthodox Church in Chelsea and asked if I could come back. The priest told me that the Divine Liturgy was at 9 am to come on in. The same people that I got to know when I was going there welcome me back and that it nice to see you again. The year I went back was 1998 and told the priest I want to join the Orthodox Christian faith I would join on January 7 2001 an I was received on that date. I been since then and I'm still going strong in the faith.
             Italian background is so intertwined with the RC Church it takes a good push to get them to join. That a major change in one's life when an Italian gives up what he is use too. But don't worry I feel that one day the Italian culture and people will wake-up to the realization that they should be in the true Church and that is the Orthodox Church and where thier background is truly Orthodox and not RC faith.
            God bless you all.
      Frank

Offline Frank J

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 01:55:35 AM »
My mother's side is from siclian background and father is Southern Italian..... Wanted to say that correct and error on my part.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 04:08:43 AM »
I believe Montaner.
Impressive! Reading about it.

Offline Frank J

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »
I'm Italian American guy who families come from southern Italy, and I'm a convert to The Orthodox Christian Church.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:17:23 PM by Frank J »

Offline Isaiah53IsMessiah

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
I'm a Polish convert to Orthodoxy since my whole family is basically Polish and speak Polish. I went from Catholic to Baptist back to Catholic to now Orthodoxy, my final journey. :) Does anyone know if there is a sizable and growing Orthodox community there?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:48:43 PM by Isaiah53IsMessiah »

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »
I'm a Polish convert to Orthodoxy since my whole family is basically Polish and speak Polish. I went from Catholic to Baptist back to Catholic to now Orthodoxy, my final journey. :) Does anyone know if there is a sizable and growing Orthodox community there?

I haven't seen her post lately, but you should get in touch with Dominika, who's Polish and part of the Polish Orthodox Church.

While perhaps nowhere near as large of a percentage as some other countries, if the CIA World Factbook is anything to go by, Poland does have her own Autocephalous Church, established in 1924 to accommodate the Orthodox Christians already living there, and they have been there for quite some time - for instance, many Catholic icons and paintings of the Virgin Mary are shared with the Orthodox Church (Our Lady of Czestochowa and Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn), and the Church does have her own Saints and Martyrs, notably, Saint Vasily Martysz the New Martyr.

Also, for a while, the Polish Orthodox Church even tried establishing an Orthodox Western Rite starting in the 1920s, but World War II put a halt to it for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:17:19 PM by Eamonomae »
Lord have mercy

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:17 PM »
What is the relationship between Italy and Poland?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Isaiah53IsMessiah

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
Both are predominantly Catholic.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:43:58 AM by Isaiah53IsMessiah »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »

I haven't seen her post lately, but you should get in touch with Dominika, who's Polish and part of the Polish Orthodox Church.

While perhaps nowhere near as large of a percentage as some other countries, if the CIA World Factbook is anything to go by, Poland does have her own Autocephalous Church, established in 1924 to accommodate the Orthodox Christians already living there, and they have been there for quite some time - for instance, many Catholic icons and paintings of the Virgin Mary are shared with the Orthodox Church (Our Lady of Czestochowa and Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn), and the Church does have her own Saints and Martyrs, notably, Saint Vasily Martysz the New Martyr.

Also, for a while, the Polish Orthodox Church even tried establishing an Orthodox Western Rite starting in the 1920s, but World War II put a halt to it for obvious reasons.

This: Orthodox, or rather Slavic rite, had been there even before the Western one, and Polish Catholicism is a bit influenced by Orthodoxy, and also Polish Orthodoxy is a bit influenced by Catholicism. The relics of st. Bazyli Martysz are placed in my parish church :)
 I can also add that we're about half million, we have 500 priests and 250 parishes with very varying number of parishioners (from 15 people to 7000 or even more), 10 bishops (plus 2 in Brasil), 6 dioceses (plus 1 in Brasil and 1 for the Polish army).
There are some villages in Poland being totally Orthodox plus some towns with Orthodoxy majority/big minority. There is one city, called Białystok, with a large Orthodox minority.
A lot of Polish aristocratic families used to be Orthodox, but now most of Orthodox in Poland are villagers.
There are some new converts into Orthodoxy constantly, but I'd say that Orthodoxy in Poland is a bit declining.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »

I can't really answer your question, but -- The chorus to the Polish national anthem:
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,      March, march, Dąbrowski, 
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski.      From Italy to Poland.
Za twoim przewodem             Under your command           
Złączym się z narodem.          We shall rejoin the nation.

Since this is one of the world's most rousing anthems, here's a link to a performance:
https://youtu.be/KQTq07gihqg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:04:10 PM by FinnJames »