OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:57:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Orthodox Christian Music -- Any Favorites?  (Read 2118 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: October 08, 2005, 01:44:58 AM »

I'm looking to expand my library of Orthodox music this holiday season.  I've got several liturgical chant CDs lined up, but am also intrigued by the contemporary, non-liturgical scene and could use some input from folks who're "in the know" about these artists.

Anybody know of any artists--say, among those on St. Romanos Records or otherwise--that they'd recommend?

Thanks,

Pedro.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 02:46:49 AM »

hmmm well I'm not quite sure what this 'group' would be called, but I do like Eikona, they're sisters who sing Church music together...they have a couple cds out... their address is  Eikona
I do really like their music too. Smiley 

In Christ,
the sinner,
Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
PerogiPincher

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »

Hi Pedro,

I have a couple favorites to suggest: Peter Jon Gillquest, his music is very upbeat and lively. "The Lighthouse" , "O Jerusalem" and "The Wedding Song" are a couple songs I can think of at the top of my head that I like. My daughter is the one who "turned me on to his music". When she was a teen, every summer she attended the Antiochian Village Summer Camp in PA.  Mr. Gillquest was performing there and recording a CD, "Live at the Villiage". That camp truly deepened her faith in Orthodoxy, especially during the difficult early teen years when a lot of peer pressure can easily lead kids astray. Those were the happiest summers of her lilfe.

Anyway, back to the topic...

David Teems has a very unique style, his music is very emotional and moving. He has a CD out called "In the Mourning" to help people cope with  their grief. I believe he wrote and recorded it after the passing of his father.  Come to think of it, I should recommend it to Anne, who is deeply grieving for her parents.

The best thing about this website, St Romanos Records, is that it allows you to sample some of the releases and acquire a feel for what you are actually looking (listening) for. It is definitely a great resource for expanding a music library.

Deb
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:08:27 PM »

I like Agne Parthene written by St. Nektarios and chanted by the monks of Simonopetro - by I get the feeling something fairly recent wasn't exactly what you meant by contemporary. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: