OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psalters?  (Read 1933 times) Average Rating: 0
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« on: September 11, 2005, 11:17:18 AM »

Hi! I have not posted in awhile (a few years) but have read the boards fairly often. I was wondering if anyone has used these two books for prayer and what they think of them?

Thanks!
Innocent

The Psalter According to the Seventy: By Holy Transfiguration Monastery

Spiritual Psalter: By St. Ephraim the Syrian
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:50:04 PM »

Hey Innocent. I've read parts of the second book A Spiritual Psalter by St. Ephraim the Syrian and it is sooo beautiful. the prayers and just the way the words are put even in english is just so amazing. You have to read that book. The first 1 i heard isreally great too but this one is more of a traditional psalters widely used. The second is more so a unique book of the thoughts of St. ephraim.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:58:16 PM »

my church uses the Holy Transfiguration Monastery psalter, and i highly recommend it. the translations are beautiful, not super-modern but totally understandable and readable, and the type is big enough to chant/pray from easily. i have yet to get a copy for myself, but plan to in the near future.

hmmmm...
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 05:49:26 PM »

Thank you! I'm most likely going to get both of them.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »

I use both.
I find the Spiritual Psalter to be an excellent book of prayers of repentance.
The Language of the Psalter According to the Seventy flows very well, and it includes the prayers for the dead for when we vigil the departed. It also has notes on the division of the Psalter for the various Hours and days of the week, and the Psalms are seperated into their Stasis and Kathisma. All English services I have attended use this text.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 01:45:31 AM »

Hi! I have not posted in awhile (a few years) but have read the boards fairly often. I was wondering if anyone has used these two books for prayer and what they think of them?

Thanks!
Innocent

The Psalter According to the Seventy: By Holy Transfiguration Monastery

Spiritual Psalter: By St. Ephraim the Syrian

I haven't had experience of the latter, but the former is online at http://www.pomog.org (Protection of the Mother of God), so you can familiarise yourself with the text before you decide to buy it. It is deliberately set up to make it difficult to save on your computer's hard drive (though not impossible Wink) since sales of the Psalter are one of HTM's few sources of income.

John
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:07:57 AM »

With that innocent smile, I know we'll have to trade some files once I get into town.  Three weeks from today ! 
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 11:46:50 AM »

Thanks for the link!
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »

Light & Life has a affordable book(12.99 US) "The Hours of Prayer: A Book of Devotion by Fr. Leonty Durkit.

Worth the $$

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 07:06:45 PM »

Light & Life has a affordable book(12.99 US) "The Hours of Prayer: A Book of Devotion by Fr. Leonty Durkit.

Worth the $$

JB

That looks like a really nice prayer book I think I will pick it up. Thank You!
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 01:47:15 AM »

Funny you should ask this question!  I just received both of those books in the mail this morning (I ordered them from the USA last Tuesday, and they arrived in Australia yesterday).  Browsing through them and then reading "Spiritual Psalter" at lunchtime, I was particularly touched at the beauty of this book and the words / prayers are so fitting for every day situations.  I also bought "The Psalter" because eventually, I would like to start reading it daily to get myself into the habit as in the future I would like to be a monastic.

I ordered both books from  http://www.archangelsbooks.com/default.asp and found they were very helpful - and talk about quick service!!! :-)

The "Spiritual Psalter", I think would also make a special gift for someone.

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 10:36:46 AM »

Worth the $$

JB

I just received the book by FR. Leonty. I'm very impressed. It is a huge prayer book and well worth the money. The quality is also very high. Thanks again!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 12:59:03 PM »

I have the Psalter by Holy Transfiguration Monastery, but don't use it because it is too archaic and awkward for me to use. Stuff like: "My brethren were big and good, but the Lord took not pleasure in them."

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 12:50:53 AM »

Not sure why, but personally I think I like the Psalter from the HTM, I like the translation for some reason, even though some consider it to be archaic, it seems more flowy to me, and I guess since I'm used to hearing the psalms chanted in Church, it just makes sense that I would like this translation I guess.  I personally prefer this one to just using the Bible because of how it is set up into sections, and how there's a lot of information in the back of the book, I also like that it is hard cover and not easy to get damaged. 

Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: