OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEAVE THE CHURCH, Pt. 2  (Read 1723 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: October 07, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »

If one was to leave the church and go to another christian denomination, or non-denomination church, can they return to the Orthodox Church??  What if they are ordained a minister in another church??
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:04:39 PM »

Keep in mind the story of the prodigal son and the witness of many new martyrs that converted to Islam under Turkish pressures and later returned to the Father's embrace. 
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:27:28 PM »

Keep in mind the story of the prodigal son and the witness of many new martyrs that converted to Islam under Turkish pressures and later returned to the Father's embrace.ÂÂ  

There is always true forgiveness for those who truly repent.

JoeS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 02:26:02 AM »

I once asked a certain person why she never said much when someone she knew personally left her jurisdiction, even when it was obviously a painful situation (e.g., they joined a group that considered her own group to be graceless). She told me that the reason was that a bishop had once given her very good advice. Don't judge people when they leave, don't judge people when they come back. That is to say, don't make a big fuss about them leaving and condemn them for leaving your own group, and then if they ever come back don't try to make them feel guilty. I'm not so sure whether she would extend that to Protestantism, but it is certainly good advice! Having had similar difficulties, I guess I can sympathise. Just make sure that your decision is based on God's will; don't ask "can I stand to be around these people?" but ask "am I going to displease God by doing this?"ÂÂ  That's my own view, anyway; that's what I asked myself I mean.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 02:29:15 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
iustinos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:17 PM »

Keep in mind the story of the prodigal son and the witness of many new martyrs that converted to Islam under Turkish pressures and later returned to the Father's embrace.ÂÂ  

This of course presumes that one repents of having left.  If so, yes, but there will probably be canonical penalties such as not receiving Eucharist for quite some time.
BasilCan

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:33:44 PM »

If one belongs to a Greek liturgical church and then leaves and becomes a full member by initiation in another church (i.e. is confirmed in a Catholic church or baptized in a protestant church or becomes a moslem) they are supposed to be re-Chrismated. But, and this is what I like about the Greeks, if one reads the Synaxarion of the New Martyrs (Greeks who lived under the Turks betwen the 15th and 20th centuries) many of these baptized Orthodox Christans became muslims (by choice or by force) and were accepted back into the church by penance and confession (not re-Chrismation). It depends upon the circumstances and upon the priest/bishop that receives one back.

Going back to the analogy of the Church as hospital, several may have the same illness on the surface, but wise doctors will treat each individually based upon the facts of their circumstance.

Basil
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »

Thank you Basil.

I'm still seeking what is right for me by prayer.

Psalti Boy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: