Author Topic: To what extend did Christ take on our fallen human nature?  (Read 127 times)

Offline LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Patrick, Pray For Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
To what extend did Christ take on our fallen human nature?
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
This may seem like an easy question with an easy answer ("all of it!"), but due to a discussion on a Catholic forum, I realized my own understanding of this dogmatic fact (sadly, one of the most important in Christianity) is flawed, and I would like to get a more correct outlook on it.

For example, was Christ capable of being tempted towards sin - did He ever have thoughts about the possibility of sinning? To what extent did Christ's fallen human nature differ from ours?

Thanks.

(The title should say "extent.")
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:49:52 PM by LivenotoneviL »
"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation."

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
Re: To what extend did Christ take on our fallen human nature?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
There was never anything fallen in Christ, he took our nature without any sin or fault

Also Christ cannot be tempted.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: To what extend did Christ take on our fallen human nature?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
I think with the temptations, the issue is that English has lost a semantic distinction (though I'm not sure about the exact Greek or Aramaic). That there's a difference between being tempted and being overcome with temptation or falling into temptation. Jesus was the former but not the later since God is not tempted by evil (James 1:13).

So, I think what that means for the desert is something like: Satan psychologically assaulted Him for 40 days, but Jesus never really gave a passing thought to taking the offers.

In more day to day terms it would be something like: Jesus knew what was it was like to have a human sex drive, but He was never "torn" as to whether He should give in to lust or not. So, He assumed our humanity in a "blameless passions" sense, as Severus of Antioch put it, but never assumed anything sinful about us.

Kind of a tough one to parse and I'm still not sure I like the logic of the temptations vis a vis Hebrews 4:15, but it seems more or less consistent.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things