Author Topic: Roman Catholics celebrate "LGBT mass" in New York  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
Re: Roman Catholics celebrate "LGBT mass" in New York
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Given the state of the papacy and the fact that traditionally-minded bishops have been marginalized and lost control of the RCC, this type of thing is likely to become as commonplace as it is in the Anglican Communion in the coming years. That, combined with the fact that anywhere from 1/5 to 1/2 of Catholic priests are estimated to be homosexuals themselves shows the extent to which this depravity has infested that church.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta_Vendita

Sometimes i have to wonder if the plan worked, or did the chruch just "naturally" change on its own?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »
Isn't conducting a "LGBT Mass" exclusive? Isn't the Mass for anyone and everyone who professes Christ and is part of His Church? Another example of how the political definition of "tolerance" and "inclusion" leads to intolerance and exclusion.

Selam

And here is a genuinely good point in this discussion.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
I doubt they checked for Gay Cards™, so it was probably alright to attend even if you weren't fully committed to the homosexual agenda and/or weren't a member of the lavender mafia. Also, fwiw I see no 'street toughs' in the images provided, who would have been necessary in serving as enforcers had the straights been banned or meant to stand in the corner in humiliation.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
nvm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:05:28 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
Quote from: 2Tim 4,3ff
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

It's interesting to notice, however, that actual rainbows have seven colours (perfection, goodness, the Sabbath), while the rainbow flag has six (imperfection, man, death of the Lord).
Only it doesn't; a rainbow has only six colors.  To say that indigo is not blue was a fault of Sir Isaac Newton's superstition.

Isn't conducting a "LGBT Mass" exclusive? Isn't the Mass for anyone and everyone who professes Christ and is part of His Church?
I wonder what other dysphoria deserves a special mass...  Gluttons, greedy, slothful, envious, irate, arrogant, unite!  Or not.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
Hey, how come native Americans get reservations? Where are the white reservations? So much for “diversity”!
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:52 AM »

Isn't conducting a "LGBT Mass" exclusive? Isn't the Mass for anyone and everyone who professes Christ and is part of His Church?
I wonder what other dysphoria deserves a special mass...  Gluttons, greedy, slothful, envious, irate, arrogant, unite!  Or not.

Have y'all considered that LGBT Catholics may feel so uncomfortable in their own parishes because of the attitudes they meet there from their fellow parishioners that they would appreciate a chance to participate in a mass where they knew they were welcome.

BTW, does anyone know the character of the area where this mass took place? There are some neighbourhoods in big cities that are mostly or predominately gay.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 05:25:50 PM »

Have y'all considered that LGBT Catholics may feel so uncomfortable in their own parishes because of the attitudes they meet there from their fellow parishioners that they would appreciate a chance to participate in a mass where they knew they were welcome.

BTW, does anyone know the character of the area where this mass took place? There are some neighbourhoods in big cities that are mostly or predominately gay.

There is no such thing as an "LGBT Catholic". A true Catholic doesn't participate in sin.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
There is no such thing as an "LGBT Catholic". A true Catholic doesn't participate in sin.

Am I right to suspect that for you LGBT means the sex act and you don't believe it's  possible to both be homosexual and not have sex?

Just what claim are you trying to make in the quoted comment? That only those who commit no sins are real Catholics? That you yourself commit no sins? That the Catholic Church is a community of saints only and the other 99% who have something to say in confession are just hangers on?

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2018, 12:00:29 AM »
Just what claim are you trying to make in the quoted comment? That only those who commit no sins are real Catholics?
Only those who don't celebrate a sin or suffer from a neurosis and make it their identity.

Just like there are no Hetero Masses or Masses for the Vain or Masses for the Greedy or Masses for the Proud, all of which would include yours truly, an LGBT Mass would make as much sense.

But, by all means, do join the Catholic Church if you're a sinner, you'll feel right at home with other sinners like me.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2018, 12:03:16 AM »

Notice the flag of their idol, Mammon, on the altar.  That's not an altar of the only true God.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 01:14:50 AM »

Notice the flag of their idol, Mammon

That's a stretch.
not from his perspective where gay people are reduced to rococo sex acts. I'd still expect him to come up with a more suitable deity . Like the accursed Pan or the diabolical Apollo.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 01:34:19 AM »

Am I right to suspect that for you LGBT means the sex act and you don't believe it's  possible to both be homosexual and not have sex?

Just what claim are you trying to make in the quoted comment? That only those who commit no sins are real Catholics? That you yourself commit no sins? That the Catholic Church is a community of saints only and the other 99% who have something to say in confession are just hangers on?

I don't believe I'm infallible, nobody is perfect except God.

I'm aware that there's more to LGBT than just the immoral sex acts, literally everything in this abbreviation stands for is some kind of sin. Of course everybody sins, but a priest who is supposed to lead the congregation, shouldn't encourage sin.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:41:21 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »
I'm aware that there's more to LGBT than just the immoral sex acts, literally everything in this abbreviation stands for is some kind of sin. Of course everybody sins, but a priest who is supposed to lead the congregation, shouldn't encourage sin.

"Encourage" seems like too strong a word to use in this context. I wasn't at this particular mass and I assume you weren't either so neither of us knows exactly what the priest said. But on the face of it, I'd say the message the mass he celebrated gives is simply "You're welcome at the Lord's table". Isn't this exactly the same approach Jesus took during his life, having communion with even the worst sinners? Maybe I missed the part in the gospels where He said, "Keep away from me you sinner!" I'd say the Church ought to take a hint from its Teacher and welcome people in before it tells them to "Go and sin no more".

To sum it up, all I'm saying is the Church does a great disservice to LGBT people if it slams its doors in their faces. That's a sure way to encourage them to continue with sinful behaviour. If the Church really cared about LGBT people and their sin, it would try hard to bring them in and show them a better way to live.

To those who complain that this is a mass for LGBT people to the exclusion of others, aren't you playing the older brother's role in the parable of the Prodigal Son? In all honesty, I think most who have criticized this priest and the mass he celebrated are motivated more by their own personal disgust at homosexuality than by the loving care that wants to bring a sinner to Christ for healing. 

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »

I think that probably goes for many if not most Orthodox Christians in every parish. I've never been to any church where I felt completely comfortable, and Orthodoxy was no cure for that. But I now realize that Church is not about being comfortable. The Gospel is not about being comfortable. It's about salvation. It's about the Sacraments. It's about weak, struggling Christians challenging and sharpening each another, and encouraging each other as they do so. If I found a church where I was completely comfortable, I doubt if I would grow in the Faith.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
To those who complain that this is a mass for LGBT people to the exclusion of others, aren't you playing the older brother's role in the parable of the Prodigal Son?

How so?

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 02:52:20 AM »
To those who complain that this is a mass for LGBT people to the exclusion of others, aren't you playing the older brother's role in the parable of the Prodigal Son?

How so?

When the younger brother returns, his father welcomes him with a big party. The older brother complains because he's worked hard at home the whole time but has never got a party for himself and his friends.

Offline ConstantinusMagnus

• Faith: Catholic-Orthodox-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Spain(Constantinople)
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
The Catholic Church isnt Catholic anymore.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »

How so?

When the younger brother returns, his father welcomes him with a big party. The older brother complains because he's worked hard at home the whole time but has never got a party for himself and his friends.

Ah.  To be honest, when I co-signed +GMK+'s post, it wasn't in any "older brother" sense.  I thought his point about the Liturgy/Mass being a truly catholic experience was something that most of us forget.  The Eucharist is offered "from all", "on behalf of all", and "for all".  I think "Theme Liturgies/Masses" are generally a bad idea.