OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Opinion Article on Human Sexuality and Society's Treatment of Women  (Read 2039 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: October 06, 2005, 11:02:24 PM »

Under Dr. Viktor Frankl’s psychiatry, love is not the byproduct of an animalistic will to self-gratification; an aspired ideal despite being an accident of the evolutionary process.  In breaking from Sigmund Freud’s pessimism, love is considered the opportunity to help another human being find meaning in life.
   Human sexuality, in turn, is not understood  as a hedonistic desire in the propagation of the species but as an expression of love that is justified only in love. Given that love is not considered a mere side-effect of human sexuality, the intimacy shared in sex is placed with higher importance than the satisfaction of personal urges.
   This is not to say that personal pleasure is unimportant in sexual activity. However, the opportunity to fulfill the desires of another human being should be measured as equally important if not more so than satisfying one’s own. This way, if both partners have empathy for each other’s needs, shared enjoyment and transcendence will be accomplished. On the other hand, one should avoid trying so hard at achieving orgasm that the intended result becomes impossible. If the expression of love is performed for its own sake, mutual orgasm should follow.
   Despite the fact that human sexuality is not to be taken for granted but instead must be held sacred, scores of males in our society seek out sexual partners for the sole purpose of feeding one’s own selfishness. Such chauvinism can be displayed in the disparity between the rates of male and female orgasm in the general population.
   A 1994 study entitled Sex in America: A Definitive Survey reported that
while 75% of men always achieve orgasm with their partner, only 29% of women are regularly brought to orgasm in the sexual experience. Apparently, a great deal of men either do not know or do not care that the average female requires more time and attention to attain orgasm than the average male.
   According to sexual researcher Alfred Kinsey, only 30% of women regularly reach orgasm by penile-penetration alone, thus making foreplay not only a preliminary but a necessity. What stand-up comedians scoff as a chore should be deemed equally an expression of love as intercourse itself.
   Women would perhaps demand more from their partners if sexual assertiveness were not considered unfeminine. In a male-denominated culture, it is commonplace for women to be treated as objects for domination rather than beings to be loved. The rate of female orgasm would not be such an important issue if it were not indicative of a much broader societal disorder, one which rape and sexual assault are also symptoms.     
   In 1990, the FBI concluded that rape is the most under-reported crime in the United States. The U.S. Justice Department stated in 1998 that one in six women are raped in their lifetimes. Furthermore, as Lenore Walker wrote in her Handbook on Sexual Abuse of Children, one in three girls have been sexually assaulted by the age of eighteen.    
In clear crystal, the objectification of women is responsible for not only poor sexual experiences but the mutilation of souls. In separating sexuality from love, both were inevitable.    
   Whenever constructive criticism of our American civilization is brought forward, the people turn their heads and close their eyes unless a practical solution is also provided. In my mind, the answer is obvious but may not be what the pride of many men allow themselves to admit. Quite simply, women are the most precious of God’s creatures and deserve to be treated as such, both in the bedroom and wherever other place that is graced with their presence. When will we ever learn?     

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »

This is a damn good opinion article, in my humble opinion

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »

This is only the first draft of the article. So far, I've changed "penile-penetration" to "traditional intercourse" and "orgasm" to "climax". Furthermore, I will be adding a dumbed down first paragraph for the sake of my audience and some quotes from interviewing girls I know at school.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 10:53:50 PM »

Good luck and we're all counting on you. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:43:05 PM »

Hey man, don't think of it as dumbing down. Good writers, no matter what their intended audience, should focus on their first paragraph being catchy and setting a tone and content-direction for the whole text. Sounding like your a walking thesaurus or could give a lecture on the subject in your sleep probably won't hook anyone, most times it'll just push them off. One of the reasons I like Chesterton so much is that he was absolutely, positively brilliant with words, but he tended to use every day language to convey his thoughts. His thoughts held the power; the words were merely the vehicle. And if people didn't understand, or weren't willing to go for the ride, it didn't matter how well crafted or fancy his vehicle was.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:45:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 04:34:27 PM »

Thank you for the kind words. This is the final draft of the article:

Young men of America, we need to talk. There seems to be a problem in our sexual maturity as men, in how we treat women as lovers and fellow human beings. Too many members of our team are intent on using the opposite sex as personal play things despite the pain this causes.

We may have gotten away with it so far, but according to SFCC freshman Erica Carey, “When women know that’s all they can get, they lower their standards quite a bit. They’d rather be with someone who will treat them like crap than feel alone.”

Deep down, would you rather give women what they are willing to settle for or what they want and deserve?
“Men who just look to ‘get some’ are not aware of all that women have to offer and are limiting their experiences”, noted SFCC sophomore Jessica Lewis.ÂÂ  

When we see women as objects to be used rather than beings to be loved, we miss out on what they have to offer from within. The effects of our objectification of women reach beyond female sexual dissatisfaction to unspeakable acts of cruelty. To improve our track record on inter-gender relations, we must begin with the very meaning of love.

In Man’s Search for Meaning, Austrian psychiatrist Viktor Frankl wrote that love is not the byproduct of an animalistic will to self-gratification but the opportunity to help another human being find meaning in life. Human sexuality, in turn, is not a hedonistic desire in the propagation of the species but an expression of love that is justified only in love. The relevance of Frankl’s words is that he simply states what we should have discovered on our own.

Personal pleasure, certainly, is still important in sexual activity. However, the opportunity to fulfill the desires of another human being should be measured as equally important as satisfying one’s own. If both partners have empathy for each other’s needs, shared enjoyment and transcendence can be accomplished.

Though human sexuality is not to be taken for granted but instead must be held sacred, many of us seek out sexual partners for the sole purpose of feeding our own selfishness. Such chauvinism can be displayed in the disparity between the rates of male and female sexual climax in the general population.

A 1994 study entitled Sex in America: A Definitive Survey reported that while 75 percent of men always achieve climax with their partner, only 29 percent of women are regularly brought to climax in their sexual experiences. This is because the average female requires more time and attention to attain climax than we do as men. Foreplay, therefore, is not only a preliminary but a necessity equally an expression of love as intercourse itself.

Women would demand more from their partners if sexual assertiveness were not considered unfeminine. In a male-dominated culture, it is commonplace for women to be treated as objects of control rather than beings to be loved. The online stat sheet of Citizens for a One Strike Law reports that rape is the most under-reported crime in the United States and that one in three girls have been sexually assaulted by the age of eighteen. In our tearing sexuality from love, the mutilation of souls was inevitable.

In order to solve this problem of our taking women and human sexuality for granted, the answer may not be what our pride allows ourselves to admit. Quite simply, women are the most precious of God’s creatures and deserve to be treated as such, both in the bedroom and whatever other place that is graced with their presence.

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:51:34 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:40:40 PM »

The name I created for my column is Fostering Free Thought, I even made a Yahoo search to check its originality.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:12 AM »

I hope it went over well Smiley I have a feeling that most young guys would try to throw it away while most young girls would be standing up saying "yeah! YEAH! That's right!!!" hehe. But I think that in the long run, the guys would be the biggest losers if they ignored it.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 10:36:07 PM »

I only try to tell the truth as I see it. My next article will be an investigation into whether or not nice guys really do finish last and if so, why do girls go for jerks?

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: