Author Topic: Pondering conversion  (Read 929 times)

Offline dallas_r

• Faith: Trying to become Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Pondering conversion
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:51:11 AM »
Hello. I'm an Anglican and I've been thinking about converting either to Roman Catholicism or the Orthodox Church, right now I'm just testing the waters. I have not been baptized into any denomination yet as I am waiting to make sure my decision is the right one. The problem is I don't know much about Orthodoxy other than it's from the East and split from the Roman Catholic Church. I ask this question, what does Orthodoxy have to offer and why should I consider converting? I do not intend to be rude, I just know very little about Orthodoxy  ;D

Any replied would be very much appreciated  :)
"Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
 He is my loving God and my fortress,
    my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
    who subdues peoples under me."

Psalm 144:1

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Pondering conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
If you're looking for a general introduction, these texts are good: https://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith

Best way to start is to attend a liturgy near you, preferably in a language you understand. Then if you have specific questions, bring them here.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
Well, before the split, there was a single church, the Orthodox church....Rome was but one of the Bishops of the Church. 

So while there is much back and forthing, if one leaves the whole, the whole did not break off from the one.

I think the only way to make decisions is to attend....have you visited an Orthodox Church for services? That would be the ideal first stop, and talk to the priest. 
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
If you're looking for a general introduction, these texts are good: https://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith

Best way to start is to attend a liturgy near you, preferably in a language you understand. Then if you have specific questions, bring them here.

+1

So before you start digging and working yourself into some kind of frenzy trying to decide if minutiae a in Communion 1 is worse/better than minutiae b in Communion 2, take a step back and ask yourself a few big picture questions:

1). Why are you considering leaving your current church?

2). Are you being driven by dissatisfaction, a search for clarity, or something else?

3). Are you interested in finding Christ, or in the "journey" narrative itself?

4). What aspects of your current faith, if any, do you value and think you will carry with you?

5). Why are the options you're considering on the table?

6). How will you evaluate them, and for how long?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
This is why you should convert to orthodoxy.

Because every time GOD is asked which Church is right GOD says Eastern Orthodox Church.

You don't believe me , put yourself on your knees and call on God to show you the truth,

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71911.0.html
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
Ok you did it .

To find the Biblical Church you read the Bible and there your read :
Matthew 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock[a] I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Read this:
 and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

That is the Church was started in year around 33 and exists until today.
So ask Each Church to show its birth certificate and to show you when it started and that it never failed.
This is the birth certificate of Eastern Orthodox Church.:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Orthodox_Patriarch_of_Jerusalem

Look who is first leader from the page I gave to you. James.
Then read nyour Bible in Acts of Apostles and see who was first leader. The same Apostle James. So this is the Church
started by Jesus that exists until today.

Ask the other Churches to show you their birth certificate. This take out protestant Churches.

Please remember that red and green colours are reserved for moderators.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:41:34 AM by Dominika »

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
For the second question you need to learn roamanian or you have to believe me. The book is called Letopisetul Tarii Moldovei.

In this book there is true story.
Orthodox won a battle against catholics and orthodox won. They wanted to make orthodox Church and catholics wanted catholic Church.
They agreed to ask God.

They make Holy Water orthodox and Catholic, close it into a Church and asked God to show through a miracle which Chhurch is true. And after 3 days they took Holy Water out and Orthodox Holy Water was crisp and Catholic Holy water was bad, Thus they agreed that God showed them that Orthodox is true Church. You can take today Catholic Holy Water and Orthodox Holy Water and see who resists more.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
Also one of the most important things in the Church is the process of obtaining immortality. This process is from God and you are not supposed to change it.
Similarly the instructions for ark of the convenant are from God and even if may make aestetically sense in the eyes of some people to add one angel to the ark this is a no no.

From the time you enter into the Church to the time you exit the instructions are from God of what happens there and you can not change them to add an Anglicanism flavor or catholic flavor or anything else.

The Church is Universal so everyone is welcome with open arms until he tries to change what happens in the Church.

Now the Catholics changed what happens oin the process of obtaining Holy Communion for immortality .
Bible says you need flesh and blood and catholics give you only flesh saying flesh always con tains blood so it is Ok. Well Jesus knew that flesh contains blood anyhow he specifically said flesh AND blood. Flesh is given under the form of bread and blood under the form of wine. So you will see in some CAtholics Churches getting only bread and no wine. When second death comes then youll find the truth if flesh is enough. If not youre in bad position.

Also I am not sure if this still happens in the steps of obtaining fleh and blood of Jesus there is a prayer when priests ask God to change wine and bread ainto blood and flesh. Well Catholics at least in past even if no today skip this prayer as they were instructed by God so in the end even if celebrations may look the same at catholics you may end with bread and wine without blood and flesh thus dead.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05502a.htm
Epiklesis (Latin invocatio) is the name of a prayer that occurs in all Eastern liturgies (and originally in Western liturgies also) after the words of Institution, in which the celebrant prays that God may send down His Holy Spirit to change this bread and wine into the Body and Blood of His Son.

and originally in Western liturgies also means we changed the instructions from God because we felt like it. God did not tell us to change it but we did it. We want to take chances in killing one billion people. Why?

that occurs in all Eastern liturgies means in Eastern Orthodox Church you are safe since they are doing it right after instructions from God.

This is why is good to go after what GOD says. He says Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church. What do you need more?

Please remember that red and green colours are reserved for moderators.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:42:28 AM by Dominika »

Offline Rubricnigel

• Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »
Hey dallas, im also a noob at orthodoxy and can relate to what your going through.
I didnt even know what orthodoxy was till i started down a spiritual quest trying to find what was calling me.

I dont pretend to know it all, but from my reading this is what i gather.
In the beginning there was 1 church, but differences between doctrine, and rome wanting to rule it all without sharing power, it split.
Thats the tldr version, as there is a bunch of history in it.
What i like about orthodoxy is it doesnt change with the times, i dont want a religion like swedens church (just banned the word father, as it upset someone). Religion should be set in stone, god will/message didnt change WE did. Thats why i like orthodoxy. Its true to the original.

Good luck, if you stay im here to talk. One noob to another
God bless.